Dbs mod did work!

Reaction score
Ok I just got the dbs mod done on my P3S. I went out to fly it and only got around 2,000 feet. I'm pretty sure I did everything write however I will include pictures. I live in WV so we do have a lot of mountains and I live in a valley between a few of the mountains however where I was flying was clear and no trees around.

109ac27f1eb412ad52389ad5e7029cbd.jpg

ba0c53bd036429e1f63b4fd74b608846.jpg

44e765037dfa8c35f58276738867e2a1.jpg
b5e8d694a60936814b9cb9a0a0964edb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What distance were you getting previously?

I am in a neighborhood with lots of Wi-Fi and trees and would max out at about 800 ft prior and after get about 1400-1600 ft. Having the antenna pointed directly at the craft certainly helps but I too am a bit disappointed with the difference.

I am eager to see what I can get in a non-populated, open area...

I was in my back yard ( with power lines and houses near by) and got 2100-2400. And I used the dji go app and the litchi app. Got better distance with the litchi app. I will say this when I was calibrating everything it said I had some (interference). So that might have had something to do with it. Only thing I can think of is there is a lot of wifi spots in houses near by and I think that might have something to do with it too. Also it was kinda a cloudy day I'm sure that played into it all aswell

Wait, so you were getting 2100-2400 ft stock and now only 2000 ft with the mod?

Make sure that you are keeping all variables as close to the same as possible...same flight path, standing from the same spot, using the same app etc. from when you were flying stock.

Clouds shouldn't matter but wifi from other houses will.

Recheck your cables and make sure that Port 1 is connected to the bottom most pin inside the controller (it's hard to tell from the pics). Also make sure that they are firmly pressed in place..

Other than that, the easiest thing to do right now is re-calibrate the IMU and then compass. Make sure not to have a phone or keys in your pockets when doing the compass and make sure your drone is on a level, stable surface when doing the IMU.

It did show a compass error when I first started it. And no I was getting like 1000-1600 stock. And the pins seem to be ok I pressed then in and seem to be well connected I re checked my connections and hot glued then into place.

It's hard to say what the issue could be. I get frustrated reading about people getting 3k' stock or 20k' with the mod but I think it really just depends on what area you're flying in and the level of radio and obstacle interference. Try to find an open area without houses and see if it helps any.

Well I plan on going 4 wheeling soon so I'll take it out and try it there. Hopefully get some good shots too.

Reactions: gvsukids
What distance were you getting previously?

I am in a neighborhood with lots of Wi-Fi and trees and would max out at about 800 ft prior and after get about 1400-1600 ft. Having the antenna pointed directly at the craft certainly helps but I too am a bit disappointed with the difference.

I am eager to see what I can get in a non-populated, open area...
You doubled your distance and you are disappointed? I would be thrilled.
Obviously you have interference issues where you fly, but doubling your distance you should be happy.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Obviously you have interference issues where you fly, but doubling your distance you should be happy.

Oh trust me I'm ecstatic! But I am a little upset that I see YouTube videos of these guys going like 1.9 miles and hoping to get past 3,000 was a goal. I am happy that I got more range tho! I don't fly very far out anyways just wanted the reassurance I guess lol.

Oh trust me I'm ecstatic! But I am a little upset that I see YouTube videos of these guys going like 1.9 miles and hoping to get past 3,000 was a goal. I am happy that I got more range tho! I don't fly very far out anyways just wanted the reassurance I guess lol.

Fly over water and you'll see greater distances

Based on other people's experiences and the website claim of 3 or 4 times the distance, yes, a bit disappointed.

But I do understand that moving locations could help drastically

Definitely try another spot. I go up the road a couple miles to fly from and my max distance goes from a mile to over 4.
There is just a lot of wifi, trees, hills around me.

UPDATE:
Today I went 5,359 feet and could have gotten farther but I was cutting it close on time!

UPDATE:
Today I went 5,359 feet and could have gotten farther but I was cutting it close on time!

That's awesome, I'm receiving mine in the mail tomorrow! Looking forward to testing!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's awesome, I'm receiving mine in the mail tomorrow! Looking forward to testing!

I encourage u to take your time and label what cable is what. I know I got a cable mixed up accidentally but it didn't affect anything. A fresh exacto knife and a glue gun is a must.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Great!!
So the title should read "DBS Mod Worked!"?
:)
Congrats!

It's funny, when I did my first DBS mod I was nervous it wouldn't work.
When it did I was relieved I didn't waste any money
lol

Great!!
So the title should read "DBS Mod Worked!"?
:)
Congrats!

It's funny, when I did my first DBS mod I was nervous it wouldn't work.
When it did I was relieved I didn't waste any money
lol

Dude exactly how I felt. I'm pretty sure all the wifi signals and trees killed my my signal at first but open areas I could. Have went a lot farther.

I encourage u to take your time and label what cable is what. I know I got a cable mixed up accidentally but it didn't affect anything. A fresh exacto knife and a glue gun is a must.

I already removed the antennas and have images of the original placements. Removing them was tedious took me about 45min. Thanks for the heads up!

I already removed the antennas and have images of the original placements. Removing them was tedious took me about 45min. Thanks for the heads up!

Anytime man. Let me know what kinda distance you get. Also don't get discouraged if it's not a huge distance. Just takes the right parameters sometimes from what I found.

Sorry to post again here... So we're you guys still able to double your range in high wifi areas? Also I noticed you drilled and ran them out the back? I don't know how accurate this is, but DBS does theirs out the front and others said because you don't want tight bends in the cable, any opinions on this?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic