DBS Mod Before and After

Reaction score
Ok, so I was able to get out and test my DBS antenna since the wind finally calmed down. I tested in a field that is surrounded by houses (so I saw a lot of "strong interference detected" during this flight) that I have previously flown in. I managed to double my distance although I think if I would have flown at a higher altitude I could have went further out. I attached a picture below before and after the DBS Mod of the flight record. Just though I would share my results!

Currently:
Firmware: 1.6.8
DJI Go Version: 2.8.3

Attachments

• beforeandafterDBS.jpg
    beforeandafterDBS.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 767
Which dbs kit did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Let me ask you this knipfer , do you hold your TX in your hands . Like were they can move around .
I sit on a 5 gal bucket and lean against my truck with the TX on my lap to hold it dead steady .
I have found I get better results that way ,
I did this today and only lost signal when I moved to get this screen shot .
IMG_4769.PNG Now I do have those dipoles on mine but had forgot to turn the 5.8 out and that surprised me .

Try it and see if you get more .
Am on the same firmware as you .

Which dbs kit did you use?

DBS Standard Itelite

Let me ask you this knipfer , do you hold your TX in your hands . Like were they can move around .
I sit on a 5 gal bucket and lean against my truck with the TX on my lap to hold it dead steady .
View attachment 57918 Now I do have those dipoles on mine but had forgot to turn the 5.8 out and that surprised me .

That's interesting guess ill have to try it. I'm not dissatisfied with the range now, once I'm in an area with no interference I will definitely do a true range test. This particular location is not that good based on previous flights there, it was already starting to get dark out and it's near my house and I wanted to test it!!

Well you did double your distance so that's good and I get that same interference flash up where I fly though I know there is none
but do try that and see what you get . The farther you get out the less movement it takes to lose signal .
I'm flying from a hill is why I can go out so low .
Nice flight :)

5.8?

View attachment 57918 Now I do have those dipoles on mine but had forgot to turn the 5.8 out and that surprised me .

I have birdside antennas 5.8 is the one on top . I normally turn it out when going long .
IMG_4771.JPG 2.4's hang down .like that on both sides .If that is what you are referring to .

But I thought both video TX are 2.4? What is the 5.8 for? Do you have a standard?

But I thought both video TX are 2.4? What is the 5.8 for? Do you have a standard?
Yes that's my Standard .2.4 is video . 5.8 is for control .

Reactions: mcajr37
Yes that's my Standard .2.4 is video . 5.8 is for control .
dirkclod, where can I find more information on the mods you did to your drone for the dipoles. I'm interested in the DBS mod as well but would like to explore what you did on your bird to improve the overall distance and signal strength. Do you have a parts list or maybe another forum post you can refer me to?

Wow that is impressive.

dirkclod, where can I find more information on the mods you did to your drone for the dipoles. I'm interested in the DBS mod as well but would like to explore what you did on your bird to improve the overall distance and signal strength. Do you have a parts list or maybe another forum post you can refer me to?
Chad I would do the TX mod first before I did anything else and see if that got me what I was comfortable with first .
I don't know of any howto's on doing the birdsides .
I have been in all my birds and am comfortable doing so but if you have never done it I wouldn't recommend doing it to anyone .
First you going to have to get in the shell and get to these 5.8 cables IMG_1712.JPG then your going to have to remove your gimble and get to the 2.4's
here A2.png ..not my picture but you see ..then I just had Tony at FPVLR custom make my dipoles like I wanted after experimenting alot
to get what works for me in my location . Location means a lot going long .Mine ended up looking like this now.

Now with the new panels out dirtybum is testing and getting great results if I was to start now I wouldn't even do the birdsides .
Is easy to mess up .

Reactions: knipfer
Chad I would do the TX mod first before I did anything else and see if that got me what I was comfortable with first .
I don't know of any howto's on doing the birdsides .
I have been in all my birds and am comfortable doing so but if you have never done it I wouldn't recommend doing it to anyone .
First you going to have to get in the shell and get to these 5.8 cables View attachment 58107 then your going to have to remove your gimble and get to the 2.4's
here View attachment 58106 ..not my picture but you see ..then I just had Tony at FPVLR custom make my dipoles like I wanted after experimenting alot
to get what works for me in my location . Location means a lot going long .Mine ended up looking like this now.

Now with the new panels out dirtybum is testing and getting great results if I was to start now I wouldn't even do the birdsides .
Is easy to mess up .

I've never looked inside mine, but based on the pictures you showed doesn't look to complicated! I'm still hoping to do another test as soon as I get free time to keep you posted!

Reactions: dirkclod
Ok, so I was able to get out and test my DBS antenna since the wind finally calmed down. I tested in a field that is surrounded by houses (so I saw a lot of "strong interference detected" during this flight) that I have previously flown in. I managed to double my distance although I think if I would have flown at a higher altitude I could have went further out. I attached a picture below before and after the DBS Mod of the flight record. Just though I would share my results!

Currently:
Hi knipfer nice results!! Can you take a pic of how your aiming your antenna at the bird? I fly a very poor spot and got about what you did for range and after Dirtybum was saying how aim is important i tried a few different ways and man i was way off before!! I can now get almost a mile in this one spot 50' below in a bowl with very dense trees! From your screen shot it looks like you have a nice big field in front of you

Hi knipfer nice results!! Can you take a pic of how your aiming your antenna at the bird? I fly a very poor spot and got about what you did for range and after Dirtybum was saying how aim is important i tried a few different ways and man i was way off before!! I can now get almost a mile in this one spot 50' below in a bowl with very dense trees! From your screen shot it looks like you have a nice big field in front of you

I was just sitting down on a bench with the remote in my hand pointing straight out. What altitude were you flying at? It is a field in front of me surrounded by houses, I usually get better results in a park down the highway a bit with no interference. So what was your aiming technique that really made a difference?

Thanks dirkclod. I am planning to do the TX mod first but was curious about your birdside mods. Thanks for the info and pictures. Now I need to track down the info on what dirtybum is testing before I buy anything.

Reactions: dirkclod
image.png
image.png
image.png

Currently:

Hey buddy,
I grew up in that area and just took my P3A for a flight there. I do have the MaxxRange but easily got 8k' in the same area, going 160' up at the highest. Could have easily gone much further but the wind was strong coming back so I returned.
You should be getting much more with the the small panel.

How did the live vid look out there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues