DBS long range antenna

Reaction score
I have p3a. I was thinking about getting a DBS antenna mod. Does anyone know pros and cons on it if there is any? Does it work well thought trees at short distance maybe 1000' or so and do you have to keep it pointed rite at the quad.

I have p3a. I was thinking about getting a DBS antenna mod. Does anyone know pros and cons on it if there is any? Does it work well thought trees at short distance maybe 1000' or so and do you have to keep it pointed rite at the quad.

I have a P3A with DBS mod. I fly mine in my backyard that's nothing but heavy woods surrounding it. DBS does improve penetration through obstacles. I can fly 2500 - 3000 feet away and not lose video feed until about 3200ft. Before the mod I was losing video signal at 2000-2500. So yes, it does improve penetration, but don't expect to triple your range with heavy woods between you and the bird, past LOS.

The range is literally unlimited (battery life only) in a wide open area (or my favorite, over water).

Reactions: Jbundy63
I got p3p with DBS MOD and have gone out over 8000ft and over 4800ft high only limited by battery now

e034678c12ba072d9204f455d62b430d.jpg

Fpvlr kit

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a P3A with DBS mod. I fly mine in my backyard that's nothing but heavy woods surrounding it. DBS does improve penetration through obstacles. I can fly 2500 - 3000 feet away and not lose video feed until about 3200ft. Before the mod I was losing video signal at 2000-2500. So yes, it does improve penetration, but don't expect to triple your range with heavy woods between you and the bird, past LOS.

The range is literally unlimited (battery life only) in a wide open area (or my favorite, over water).
Sweet that sounds like a deal maker for me.

Getting it installed for $100.00 seems like throwing money away. It can't be that much to diy. I could be wrong but the video looks straight.

Getting it installed for $100.00 seems like throwing money away. It can't be that much to diy. I could be wrong but the video looks straight.

I actually paid the extra $100 and had them do it. I could've done it myself but the controllers are notoriously easy to break when opening them. Specifically, the plastic screw posts that hold it together. When in doubt, leave it to the pros. That way it's in them to fix if an issue arises. To each their own though.

I installed mine myself as i'm in different country. It was easy enough. But the plastic screw post are very weak, two of mine were already broken when i pull it apart, so had to use longer screws.

I installed mine myself and yes it does help but like some people are saying it will help but if you have obstructions like woods it definitely reduces range, I have in the past before the FAA guidelines had went out to 12000 feet but was unobstructed and straight shot. I think it has helped with range but don't expect to go out 3 or more miles, I think in special conditions it is possible. The mod is easy and there are videos on how to do it.

Reactions: 0DRK3RT
I installed mine myself and yes it does help but like some people are saying it will help but if you have obstructions like woods it definitely reduces range, I have in the past before the FAA guidelines had went out to 12000 feet but was unobstructed and straight shot. I think it has helped with range but don't expect to go out 3 or more miles, I think in special conditions it is possible. The mod is easy and there are videos on how to do it.
A lil over 2 miles that's a good range on any day I don't think I'll be doing anytime soon. Was that in a city area? What was your range before you added the DBS mod antenna to your remote? I've only been 2300' at 300' feet of altitude all my signal was full rite in town. I wonder how some people I here are getting way out there like 3 miles on stock set ups.

A lil over 2 miles that's a good range on any day I don't think I'll be doing anytime soon. Was that in a city area? What was your range before you added the DBS mod antenna to your remote? I've only been 2300' at 300' feet of altitude all my signal was full rite in town. I wonder how some people I here are getting way out there like 3 miles on stock set ups.
It was just outside of town, pretty much open and clear of obstructions. I remember before doing the DBS mod that I was getting out to 6000 or so and that the DBS mod did help but there are days that it seems to vary greatly and that it was doing about what the stock setup was, I think there are a lot of variables, like aiming the controller so that's it's in direct line of the aircraft (very important, so to achieve a strong signal) higher altitude also helps as well, due to it clears you even more from obstructions.

Now that I don't fly quite that fly anymore I don't have a video drop or loss of signal but do feel the signal is better.

I believe that people are getting higher numbers because of it being a straight open, unobstructed area such as the ocean or land free of any kind of electrical interference.

Does anyone know of a UK distributor for the DBS mod antenna?
Or otherwise if any UK pilots have this mod, how did you go about attaining it?

There is a company in Cardiff that will supply and fit, sorry I can't remember the company name, goggle it I'm sure it will pop up, supply only is about £80 fitting is about £25 I think, you send your rc to them, it's a couple of days turnaround. I would be interested in how you get on, I have considered the purchase also.

Resurrecting an old thread but I just got 21,000 feet (4 miles) on a stock Advanced with only the 32 channel hack and a cheap windsurfer from Amazon.

Can't see the need for the DBS or FPVLR unless I need more range in higher interference areas (get about 5,000-6,000 feet in my neighborhood).

ae8bd3daabd6551c4f5b1adce0eb069c.jpg

Resurrecting an old thread but I just got 21,000 feet (4 miles) on a stock Advanced with only the 32 channel hack and a cheap windsurfer from Amazon.

Can't see the need for the DBS or FPVLR unless I need more range in higher interference areas (get about 5,000-6,000 feet in my neighborhood).

Did you use the windsurfer in the neighborhood?

Nicely done! No need for antenna mod. Which windsurfer are you using?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31