DBS Itelite Install - Cable Locations?

Reaction score
This is how DBS shows the cables in his video on YouTube (they are not crossed over):
bdj5xvX.jpg

This is how the cables were internally before I removed the factory cables (crossed or going diagonal):
SnkEJNF.jpg

Anyone know how this is supposed to be cabled? I am not sure on the actual Itelite Antenna what Port 1 and Port 2 mean as labeled.

Thanks

I wired mine like your 1st pic and it works fine, you can always switch the actual antenna round after(just turn it upside down) if there's any probs (don't think there will be any)

Guys I have a question and you guys are certainly the fellas to answer it. I have the Phantom 3 advanced and have the DBS setup arriving anyday now. In there install video it goes through relocating the 5.8 attenna inside the remote?? Also they do not remove the grey rectangular( guessing its a transmitter from the board. Two questions 1. do I need to relocate that attenna inside the remote and do I need to remove the grey rectangular box as shown in these pics on this tread. I am guessing the answer is yes and these apply only to the inspire with the dual remote option but i would love to know for sure

The phantom install is very straightforward, no removing of boxes etc, just unclipped the old 2 antenna wires, and attach the new antenna wires from 4 minutes something to 9 minutes something you can ignore it(if I remember correctly) all you are doing is replacing 2 wires.

The phantom install is very straightforward, no removing of boxes etc, just unclipped the old 2 antenna wires, and attach the new antenna wires from 4 minutes something to 9 minutes something you can ignore it(if I remember correctly) all you are doing is replacing 2 wires.
2raas Thanks!! My confusion comes from the fact the only install video I can find is the inspire 1 remote install video and I am assuming the inside of the Phantom 3 Advanced is slightly different as in no dual remote function! Thx again

Yes when you open the cpntroller that silver rectangle wont even be there....O and you will have to do the drilling of the holes of course.....6mm drill bit I think

I used a 1/4 drill bit. 6mm may work, it's a bit smaller.
I don't think it makes any difference if you cross them or not. You can hook either up to either antenna port. My issue was when I had them running above and closed the case, I had interference with the one stick geared wheel and it was binding a bit. I ended up routing one around the side and the other up the middle. That seemed to work for me and eliminated any interference or binding. Just check the sticks after you close the case but before putting all the screws and HDMI ribbon back in to make sure everything operates freely.

I've just ordered this antenna panel.

I have a question around the cables. Is the desire to put an SMA connector on the case simply to stop the cable being pulled off the internal connector?

I'd have assumed a single longer MMCX to SMA would be better than a MMCX to SMA then a SMA to SMA?

Any recommendations for a good cable/cables? I've no idea how to tell if the stuff on eBay is good or cr@p quality.

The kit should come with everything you need for the install. Are you wanting to use better sma ro rp sma cable on the inside ?

Relocation of the 5.8 ghz antenna is for the inspire controller, not the phantom . Since the inspire controller can be pair with a second controller for camera control . It uses a 5.8 ghz antenna to communicate between the two controllers .

What I mean is why use 2 cables for each antenna (board to case, then case to antenna)
Would a single cable passing through the case (so direct board to antenna) not be better? Or could this cause problems?

I see what you are saying . But if you run a direct cable you could never switch antennas without taking the controller apart again. I use more than 1 antenna. And I like to have options if something new comes out. I don't see much of an advantage to running 1 single cable. Also some antennas such as the fpvlr antenna come with a rp sma coaxial cable already attached.

What I mean is why use 2 cables for each antenna (board to case, then case to antenna)
Would a single cable passing through the case (so direct board to antenna) not be better? Or could this cause problems?
I understand your concern for an extra connector between the antenna and the controller. Each connector may introduce a slight signal loss, but you shouldn't be concerned. SMA connectors do a pretty good job at making solid contact with virtually no loss. The antenna efficiency is way more important than any signal loss from the extra connector. The primary issue I see with your idea is that a cable passing through a hole will look like crap, IMHO. Who want's two cables exiting through two holes? That's a preference thing. You could use the original antenna holes, and 3D print some plugs that go around the cable, removing the slop in the hole and make it look more "OEM looking", but you still have a setup that looks "Mickey Mouse" in most people's eyes. For some people that may be OK, but I'd like to see another approach.

I think what DBS Mods and FPVLR should be doing is creating a cable kit with LONG SHANK SMA connectors that would work in the original antenna holes. I've seen other vendors from Asia do this. This setup allows a pilot to switch between folding antennas (so it fits in a backpack) and the DBS or FPVLR antenna setup. Although the install is slightly more work, the resulting utility of using the original holes would look more professional and provide way more antenna options.

I'd really like someone to compare all three antenna setups at the same flight location, WindSurfer, FPVLR, and DBS. We need a shootout between these various setups. We need user RF Guy to be the judge and jury, he seems the most knowledgeable about antenna design and efficiency.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris P Duck
Relocation of the 5.8 ghz antenna is for the inspire controller, not the phantom . Since the inspire controller can be pair with a second controller for camera control . It uses a 5.8 ghz antenna to communicate between the two controllers .
Yeah I just left my antennas on like stock and coiled up the antenna leads inside the controller and secured them, seems to be just fine with over 100 flights.

Here's the after market cable I choose 15cm SMA male to RP-SMA male both right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue Cable
Don't cross the cables over each other like in pic two you could cause cross channel talk.
There have been some recent tests that show those rg 402 cables send a lot of the signal back at the controller. An swr meter can tell you a lot. I have been using them for a few months now and my last 7 or 8 flights I noticed my range getting less and less. This past Saturday my range was complete crap so I put some new rg 402 cables on and my range was back to perfect at over 18k but turned around because I wasn't flying with an extra lipos on the side. But I ordered some rg 58 cables and even the rg316 are good too. In my opinion the rg 402 are not very consistent and can cause poor signal range. So if your range ever starts to decrease for no apparent reason try switching out cables. Just keep it in mind.

Reactions: Rocket_Aus
There have been some recent tests that show those rg 402 cables send a lot of the signal back at the controller. An swr meter can tell you a lot. I have been using them for a few months now and my last 7 or 8 flights I noticed my range getting less and less. This past Saturday my range was complete crap so I put some new rg 402 cables on and my range was back to perfect at over 18k but turned around because I wasn't flying with an extra lipos on the side. But I ordered some rg 58 cables and even the rg316 are good too. In my opinion the rg 402 are not very consistent and can cause poor signal range. So if your range ever starts to decrease for no apparent reason try switching out cables. Just keep it in mind.
Mate thanks for the info really surprising ...do you have a link for those cables? Cheers :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj