DBS booster on a Phantom Standard to get just 500m range !

There seems to be a lot of opinion out there about where and how it is implemented (through your gps location or in the unit before it is sent to a particular country etc) I thought the US was FCC and everywhere else was CE Is there a way to measure the TX output ?

No I haven't tried anything yet ,wind and dust blowing hard here and been tied up with work .I was going to re-link first but I don't think that's the problem. Next simple test is to try flying at my brother-in laws (2500Ha and he doesn't have a mobile because there's no coverage no wiffi) That should rule out the interference factor. After that is pulling the TX apart again to check the connectors as suggested by other helpful members but I need my sons good eyesight and he works in Sydney !I still think is maybe a problem with the nipple/board I read this somewhere I cant now find .It suggest there was resistance measured across the two which should not be I'm no election so I'm not sure what this means or how to fix it .New controller ?Bit disappointing eh

I am also going to check the connectors but don't know where to start. There are three which are connected to DBS, should I check sth more?

I also tried reinstalling DJI Go app - no difference.

I am going to try:
- flying with other app and DJI Go app closed, somewhere on the forum someone had some luck with this.
- reseting wifi (as relinking didn't make any difference)
- flying with no smartwatch on my hand (also found it somewhere)
- flying with ipad instead of iphone
- flying with other RC, I'am looking for one to borrow (or buy cheap) now

I am also going to check the connectors but don't know where to start. There are three which are connected to DBS, should I check sth more?

I am going to try:
- flying with other app and DJI Go app closed, somewhere on the forum someone had some luck with this.
Check Amrunner4 s reply earlier

I am going to try:

Check amrunner4 s post earlier That is what I am going to look at when I get around to pulling the TX apart again Im also looking for a second controller but not many on Australian ebay and they cost as much as the controller to send from the US
Paul

If you have some money to spend. I'd suggest one of two:

1. Upgrade to professional + DBS + Boosters. That will get you 4G video + HD live view. And it can go 3+ miles easy. If you want to inspect crops, HD is helpful.

2. Add boosters to your DBS. There are devices that you can add between the antenna and the remote. They electronically amplify the signals. If you are flying above a farm with nothing blocking LOS, I believe they will be very effective.

The thing you should consider is that once you add boosters to the 3 connections you spend another $150-$300. When you add up the standard + DBS + boosters = $800 to $950. At which we know is more expensive than the PRO.

On the other hand, if you can't return it and want to mod it for maximum distance, boosters would definitely be a viable option.

Edit; Also, the DBS is very directional. You have a 30° angle. You must hold the remote with the antenna pointed perfectly to the bird. I've had my antenna shift from red to green at 5000ft because I angled my antenna slightly. The Sunhas boosters should fix that problem.

Last edited:

1. Upgrade to professional + DBS + Boosters. That will get you 4G video + HD live view. And it can go 3+ miles easy. If you want to inspect crops, HD is helpful.

2. Add boosters to your DBS. There are devices that you can add between the antenna and the remote. They electronically amplify the signals. If you are flying above a farm with nothing blocking LOS, I believe they will be very effective.

The thing you should consider is that once you add boosters to the 3 connections you spend another $150-$300. When you add up the standard + DBS + boosters = $800 to $950. At which we know is more expensive than the PRO.

On the other hand, if you can't return it and want to mod it for maximum distance, boosters would definitely be a viable option.

Edit; Also, the DBS is very directional. You have a 30° angle. You must hold the remote with the antenna pointed perfectly to the bird. I've had my antenna shift from red to green at 5000ft because I angled my antenna slightly. The Sunhas boosters should fix that problem.
Thanks for the advice. We were able to get the 500m by "pointing"the booster then moving the P3 in an arc at the edge of the range to find heading where we cold go further. I have seen the boosters which you have mentioned and you are right ,how much do you spend for how much gain .I would just like to get 1000m which I should be able to get with this set up ,maybe I just got a lemon.

Hi
I am in regional South Australia. I got my P3 standard from USA. So it is made for US market (regulations). I have few bush lands without any houses or antennas or tall trees where I test things. I managed to get 900-1000m with stock antenna but last few 100 meters have choppy signal.

I got this DBS mod and installed it after looking at few videos. I did it carefully to get it right. However I did have little struggle to connect the inside pins.

I tested 3 locations. I am getting no improvement in rage and only 900-1000m max. I ensured that none of the cables are crossing.

I am planning to shield the cables with 3m copper tape and then adding insulation tapes on them as suggested by some. Any other ideas?

Some people suggest changing the cables to the following. Has anyone else tried them?

RP SMA Female to uFL/u.FL/IPX/IPEX RF Coax Adapter Assembly RG178 Pigtail 20cm

SMA male to RP-SMA male both right angle RF lot RG402 Semi Flexible blue Cable

I believe one of my internal cables are bit bent in the installation but none broken

Does anyone know if the regulations applied depending on the market to which Phantom is sold or to location where it is flying. So even if I purchase drone from US as I am flying in Australia then DJI go app automatically apply regulatory limitations applied for AU?

I also have a question on the firmware. I am running the latest 1.68 from day 1 and I got 900-1000m with stock antenna with that firmware. One person suggest that I downgrade to 1.58 or something. Can some one who is getting 2km+ comment on this?

I am getting no more than stock antenna with DBS mod. Some people suggested that I point the antenna perfectly. Well I have not been very careful on that as in short distances DBS mod work without pointing to drone directly and there is a video on You tube saying that this is one of the main advantage. Of course that was demoed for Inspire 1.

Can you please elaborate on 30° angle?. Did you find this by experience or is it documented by the manufacturer? I am not sure if I need to keep the antenna 100% horizontally and then achieve 30° angle. The issue is what height 1@ 500m to 1000m? that would give 30° angle? here angle or hight need to be adjusted with distance.

I have bought an Advanced .My Standard dropped to a range of 10 m yes that's 10 which seemed to coincide with the 1.6.8 firmware upgrade but I'm not sure I downgraded the FW tried many other things .Nothing worked so it's on it's way back to DJI
The Advanced is much better although I haven't pushed the range yet .My Standard was dropping out at 180-250m even when new in open country .

Also the FCC /CE is set by your location no matter where you buy it . There are a lot of post about it .Australia is effectively CE apparently .

Thanks all. I have a something interesting to report.

Today I opened the remote again and made sure all cables are tied together (noted that one cable was slightly bent which I straightened) and lie is in the middle path not crossing the circuit boards. I also attached a cable tie to the 3 internal cables.

I did a trial where I had got about 900-1000m with Stock Antenna in the past. Based on the feedback I got from many this time I ensured that the RC is kept steady (no movements) and made sure that it was almost held vertical to ground. Also held it around chest height.

Guess what- I got 1442m. The RC signal was still strong on the screen but I did have some video drop outs as I slightly moved the RC to press OK to a message that I got stating "there is a no fly zone near by" (we have a small airport in whyalla with only 5-10 flights per day). Due to warning I decided to bring the drone back and not to send it further. Interesting things happened around 800m away (when I was bringing it home- as tere were lot of flies around that bugged me I was not so diligent with the RC pointing to the Drone- guess what - around 800m away no signal RTH initiated.

So the learnings are
a) need to be very careful with the cables and better insulated may be better than once included with the DBS mod. Also placement of it inside the RC is very important. Need to ensure that these cables are not bent, damaged etc
b) RC should be pointed precisely and kept steadily to get the distance and any movement wrong way result in so signal RTH immediately

So after all I am not happy with the result. Next time I will go near beach (way out of the NFZ) and do a test (and will have to take insect spray as when it is 25-30 C there are lot of flies that bug you so cannot concentrate and keep the RC steady ). Also I am convinced that the cables do play a part so I might order better insulated cables like the following to test

Will post my findings in the future

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers