DBS Antenna Mod Problems

All I have heard is he stands behind his products.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I dunno. Seems to me there must be some kind of technique that would fix that.

How about a jam nut?

Take two thin nuts that will thread onto that loose sma end which is on the back of the ITELITE. Thread them both on but only half way down. Once you have them both threaded on, use two 8 mm wrenches to screw them together so they JAM into each other. You probably was open end wrenches because you need a nice sharp edge on each wrench. Make 'em real tight, as tight as you can. These two nuts jammed together makes one jam nut.

Next grab onto the jam nut with something, maybe pliers but I'd use a rag or something in the plier teeth so you don't damage the nuts. Then turn the loose nut near the panel clockwise. You should be able to tighten it snugly.

Remove the jam nut.

I think this might fix it.

Quite possibly, you may be correct as I don't really know these kinds of things, but after I opened up the unit, I found that it was an issue with the adhesive on the other side of the aluminum panel. I had 1 that was perfectly fine and the other two were loose.

WOW, Mark, nice setup in your sig.

Okay, makes sense. The reason I was asking was, if you're gonna compare FPVLR with ITELITE (or DBS as some call it), to be fair, you want to have an antenna to match each setup. The stock bird antennas already match the ITELITE on the control side. But if you have FPVLR on the control side, you really need a circular polarized antenna on the bird side. That's why when you compare, the ranges seem to be the same right now. The FPVLR has the potential to send a stronger signal because it's more directional, but the antenna on the Phantom is not the best to receive it.

Good luck with your goals!

Thank you! So if I understand this correctly, if I install the bird side mod from FPVLR, my FPVLR antenna would perform better than my DBS antenna, in terms of signal strength?

Sorry if this is not thread related. Let me know if I should post this in new or other thread.

The short answer is, that's right. I wish it was that simple.

We already know the FPVLR will potentially shoot out a stronger signal because its beamwidth is more narrow. Just like a light beam on an adjustable beam flashlight - if you narrow the beam width, the beam is more bright but it covers less area. To fully take advantage of this, you want to consider the number of turns on your spiral antenna. More turns gives stronger but more narrow beamwidth.

You also need the correct antennas on the aircraft to match the circular polarization. And you also need to point the controller correctly.

This is great for the 5.8 Ghz control signal.

The FPV signal is a little more complicated because it's a two-way signal. The video gets sent from the bird to your controller. You can't put a spiral on the Phantom because you won't be able to aim it correctly. So you'll use a cloverleaf from FPVLR or you'll use the stock panel. You want a good antenna to pick up that signal. What is best? Assuming you have matching antennas, what's best? The panel ITELITE or a circular polarized FPVLR? I am not sure. Some might argue the ITELITE is better. Some will say FPVLR. However, my understanding is, once you receive that signal, it's not done yet. It needs to transmit details of what it received back to the Phantom to "check" to be sure the first transmission was received accurately and is not corrupted. It works in a similar manner that internet protocol works. And here is where your long spiral will outperform the ITELITE - the second leg. After the Phantom confirms the transmission as accurate, it sends an "ok" and you see the display on your monitor.

I know some people will use the FPVLR for control and ITELITE for FPV and they say that's the best combination.

Hope this helps.

Edit: OP - I wouldn't try to fly with that loose connection. You may damage your transmitter. Please see my post in #42 - I think this will solve your problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
Thank you for all the help. I finally got a hold of the seller and will be getting a new one as soon as they have them in stock. Still no answers from DBS though unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Everyone, I have great news. I just got in touch with someone at ITELITE. I told him my situation that my port was loose. I also let him know that I opened the unit to see what the problem was and that I found the adhesive was too light. He agreed to change it out for me and also let me use his company UPS to send it. I'm really impressed with ITELITE. I was thinking about going to FPVLR, but after I experienced their customer support, I'm a ITELIEBER. get it? Anyway, I'm going to send my unit in today and see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted.

To all who are getting the DBS MOD, your in good hands.

-Drone-Z

Reactions: jttt777
I bought the ITELITE DBS Antenna mod thinking it would be the answer to all of my range and connectivity problems. But as I was connecting the cable from my controller to port 1 of the antenna, I just couldn't get it to tighten. I then realized that port 1 was spinning as I tightened the cable. I tightened port 1 to prevent it from spinning again and everything seemed fine. However, I have not seen a major increase in range and connectivity since I installed it. My brother in law is able to fly his factory standard the same distance as I can when testing. I have not had a chance to take it to a place with no interference yet but I am worried that I could have damaged the internal antenna. I have not been able to get any response from DBS to date and I am wondering if anyone has had any similar issues, or knows anything more about the antenna internals than I do.

When it was in original factory condition, I was able to get about 1100' range at 400' high. Now I am able go out to about 1400' and loose both RC and video connection. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Email Judy at [email protected] or try their Facebook page

I also live in WiFi congested area.. Before DBS mod i was getting 1,000-1,800' feet on average.
After installing DBS mod, my distance increased to approx 3,700'
After adding amps, my distance went up to 5,700' - 9,200' - 11,000' (tried a few times with 5,700' being the lowest, 9,200' average, 11,000+max, in very WiFi congested area).
Over water with amp i got over 16,700'.
With P3Pro (no mods) over my high interference area i was able to get 8,600' max (so far). So my P3S with mods beats P3P with no mods.
Something to consider if you plan on getting a P3 Advanced or Pro.
There is def a problem with your DBS mod !
Keep trying to reach the seller, hopefully he can replace it for you! Good luck!

What do you mean adding amps?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20