Day 2 with PhanTOM's Vision

Reaction score
A rather interesting (and hopefully not permanent) situation occurred today on the second day of flight.

When I first got things turned on, the iPhone displayed a message that said the router wouldn't connect correctly. I fiddled around with it a few times and it seemed to be corrected, so I proceeded. Next I had an error saying to remove the gimbal lock, so I checked and I had remember correctly - the gimbal lock was in the case with the lens cover. I walked out to the Phantom and looked to see that there was nothing wedged in or otherwise preventing movement of the camera. It was sitting in the grass and there was a chance that the pressure of the grass on the camera and gimbal caused the gimbal to think it was locked. I decided to ignore the message and see it if reset once the Phantom was off the ground.

I wanted to capture the video from the start of take off so I turned on the video (from the iPhone) even though the there was still an error displayed on the iPhone, so I started the video recording from the iPhone. The next error message was that I hadn't inserted the Micro-SD card (I think that is like the third time I have forgotten to do this)! I inserted the card and continued with what I was doing. As the Phantom lifted off I noticed that the image on the iPhone did not change! Now I was concerned. I decided to proceed and at least get some practice flying for few minutes.

I continued flying (this was just off the grounds of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center behind the Visitor's Center) and climbed to what seemed to be a decent altitude to see most of the center. I went through the motions of stopping the video (the screen controls on the iPhone worked fine but the image displayed was still the grass it saw before takeoff) and took a couple stills and continued the video and stopped it again and took a couple more. I landed the Phantom and turned things off and put everything away. I wasn't hopeful that I had gotten any video or stills, but I checked anyway. All the videos and stills had come out fine! (Note: I Corrected the second two stills with the lens correction function in PS CS6.)

[vimeo]98782304[/vimeo]

DJI00022a1_zps52b632be.jpg

DJI00021a1_zps1e70ff50.jpg

[vimeo]98783777[/vimeo]

DJI00018a1_zps45a3d3a3.jpg

Slothead,
Nice stuff there. The pressure from the grass against the camera and gimbal is what caused that gimbal lock error. Many of us carry a piece of cardboard or something to take off from. I use my case.

There is a know issue with the video freezing. Try changing your video preview settings. You'll get a more stable video stream at the lower quality settings. Hopefully DJI will fix this soon. When this happens to me I try the following in order to get the video back.
1. open the settings menu, then go back to camera view
2. open the settings menu and change the preview quality
3. restart the app on the phone
4. restart the wifi extender

One of those should bring your video back.

BTW, what the new building there?

Also, your video looks wobbly. Are you using the FPV mode in the app settings? Turn that off to remove the gimbal roll motion in your video.

D_Tshudy,

The new building is Building 36. I'm told it's sort of a program management building (mostly office space). Its contract was let once and my son's company won the concrete work, then the contract was cancelled, redefined and rebid and my son's company either didn't rebid, or didn't win the rebid (this was all over a year ago).

Thanks for the wobbly tip. I'm going to have to learn about FPV mode (Dirty_Bird asked me about that before) and I don't know enough about it yet to change it.

I don't get a lot of time with the system turned on. I get it out, turn it on (forget a few things), fly it, turn it off (if I remember to), and put it away. I'm not even sure if I am setting home correctly.

Tom

slothead said:
Thanks for the wobbly tip. I'm going to have to learn about FPV mode (Dirty_Bird asked me about that before) and I don't know enough about it yet to change it.

You video doesn't appear to be stabilized and I would guess you have FPV mode enabled. From within the Vision+ app, main screen where you see Camera, News, Settings, etc.. Go into Settings and make sure FPV mode does NOT have a check mark.

Dirty Bird said:
[quote="slothead"Thanks for the wobbly tip. I'm going to have to learn about FPV mode (Dirty_Bird asked me about that before) and I don't know enough about it yet to change it.

You video doesn't appear to be stabilized and I would guess you have FPV mode enabled. From within the Vision+ app, main screen where you see Camera, News, Settings, etc.. Go into Settings and make sure FPV mode does NOT have a check mark.[/quote]

Thanks Dirty. I figured that out last night and changed it on the iPhone, but haven't flown with it yet (it's raining here in Frederick right now).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr