Data lost no return home.....explained

Of course there's 3 minutes missing ... that's what you saw on your screen.
We already knew that you had a black screen for three minutes.
That's what the HealthDrones data showed.
There's no mystery or "twilight zone".
The camera kept recording for the missing 3 minutes and if you look at the video recorded on the SD card you'll see everything and in proper detail rather than the reduced resolution you see on your screen.

I went ahead and checked the SD card any you are right I can see the phantom just hovering for 3 minutes or so, my question remains....if the controller was showing me a RED light wich indicates lost of signal to the Phantom why RTH was not iniciated ?and because of the RED light I was unable to manually iniciate RTH ....still makes no sense to me.
Next time this happens im just going to turn controller OFF to force the RTH secuense

Im puzzle because red light on the transmitter means lost connection....and my transmitter was showing me a red light for all that time...3 minutes or so.

Last edited:
I would like to ask if rth triggered, the home point should be in miles away cause u are in the moving object, am i right? If there is true, you are so lucky that u still can get the link back after 3 minutes.

I was not on a moving object, I was at the beach wich was the home point
And yes if you set the home point and then you move from that location 3 miles or whatever and you trigger RTH the phantom is going to fly towards the original home point.

M

Good thing you weren't in front of that ship when you went into a hover

Im always behind or on the side just in case something like this happens....so far so good

That's what I figured, but wondering if that would have been advisable/best option in this particular scenario, given that intermittent/dropping signal might have precluded a manual RTH input from getting to the bird.

After that flight I went up again and I did shut the transmiter off on porpoise just to see if the lost of signal RTH function was working properly, and sure enough the phantom went to RTH after 3 seconds.

You know, IMHO, you were too close to a floating city of 5000 (or so) people for their safety and drone's functionality. Just wait ... another flight zone restriction is coming.

Now, back to the technical issues ... I have counted no less than 10 radoms and com domes. There are probably at least 3 different types of radars, 3 different types of radio systems, multiple satellite com systems, a ship-wide wifi system, and a dozen or more of other EM emitting systems on that ship that can affect your drone. Possibly, the drone was blinded by all these EM emissions and even did not notice lost RC signal. Nothing you could do at your cut off and scrambled RC would make any difference.

Just stay away from big ships, 100 yards at least. There is an USCG rule that established safety zones to be observed by all boats (and soon drones ... I bet). The 100 yard keep out zone, and 500 yards minimum speed zone when approaching any naval and other sensitive ships.

Yes, it would have ... his Phantom was just hovering there waiting for some control.
Loss of control signal will trigger RTH.
It's easy to test this and every Phantom owner should properly test RTH so they understand how it works.
Yep. Set your home point and check it twice. Put your Phantom a couple hundred yards away (definitely more than 20 meters!) at say, 100 feet. Put your RTH height at say 150 feet (so you can see it do something).

Turn off the RC. Wait an interminable amount of time (which is why having in sight is helpful). Then smile as it wanders back to you. Turn the RC back on to manually land, or if you are brave, let it autoland.

You know, IMHO, you were too close to a floating city of 5000 (or so) people for their safety and drone's functionality. Just wait ... another flight zone restriction is coming.

Now, back to the technical issues ... I have counted no less than 10 radoms and com domes. There are probably at least 3 different types of radars, 3 different types of radio systems, multiple satellite com systems, a ship-wide wifi system, and a dozen or more of other EM emitting systems on that ship that can affect your drone. Possibly, the drone was blinded by all these EM emissions and even did not notice lost RC signal. Nothing you could do at your cut off and scrambled RC would make any difference.

Just stay away from big ships, 100 yards at least. There is an USCG rule that established safety zones to be observed by all boats (and soon drones ... I bet). The 100 yard keep out zone, and 500 yards minimum speed zone when approaching any naval and other sensitive ships.
It's hard to judge distance with that camera, but he was close (not as close as Dumbo the recreational boater, however). The Phantoms seem pretty resistant to unintended RF and most of those big golf balls on the boat are receivers. FWIW, I sat my Phantom about 5 m in front of my boat's small radar and it didn't seem to mind at all. There are pictures of Phantoms getting pretty close to cell towers and those things emit enough RF to be considered a health hazard (if you cuddle up next to them).

Personally, I'd stay well away from a cruise ship. They are high on the list of Coast Guard pucker factor when it comes to Thinking About Bad Things and even though the Phantom couldn't carry anything more dangerous than a bag of potato chips that distance, it's best to not get people all wound up.

Reactions: Richard W
I was flying over the ocean early today and lost both video and data for more than 5 minutes there was no communication between the transmitter and the P3 pro I had a red light on the transmitter very concerned that my P3 never initiated RTH when is supposed to do it after 3 seconds of lost connection This went on for 5 long minutes....I finally got some data back and I did a manual RTH.
Can you please check the healthy drones data to see exactly why this happened
By the way on the following flight I turned the transmitter off on purpose to see if RTH was initiated and sure enough P3 went to preset altitude and returned home.
Here is the link
Thanks

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This also happened to me once before, i did not bother to share as it seemed like a freak occurrence, but it did happen.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I kept pressing Go Home, but nothing happened. I ultimately had to walk closer to the drone to get signal!

Mode was set to go home of signal is lost.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik