Dashware & Utility Logger App Combo

Reaction score
I finally managed to get it figured out how to use Dashware with the Utility Logger App. It might look ok, but I still need to work on each of the gauges. The formulas are off now. But it is not that difficult to fix, just takes a little time. The bad part will be that once I get the ones I use taken care of, those gauges will just be getting fixed for my software. Anyone using Dashware with the Utility Logger App will need to do the same work with adjusting the formulas. Otherwise their data will be useless, other then looking pretty. As long as it is not too time consuming, I will surely share any info I have to help others get the same enjoyment from their efforts in making way cooler videos.

The video below was just something where I ran out back of my house to get the data in place to use some tips that ocatcr provided after I had to almost act a idiot with him to understand what info was missing to get the final step seen below. I trimmed the video right at 5 minutes. I took 90 something minutes just to render the Dashware software on my video. Then add the youtube process time. You can very easily take 3 hours just to put together a simple 5 minute video if using the Dashware option. I have over that in what I did because I did some editing of text color and some other stuff with in the software. Nothing hard, just takes time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbbQw-Kgi0[/youtube]

Btw, anyone know what the deal is with the youtube links not working when using the editor?

There ya go bro ... The " youtu.be " links don't work ... They have to be " .com/watch?v " style links to the video without the the "s" after http"s" for the player to show in the thread...

glad to hear that you make progress on it.

flyNfrank said:
I finally managed to get it figured out how to use Dashware with the Utility Logger App. It might look ok, but I still need to work on each of the gauges. The formulas are off now. But it is not that difficult to fix, just takes a little time. The bad part will be that once I get the ones I use taken care of, those gauges will just be getting fixed for my software. Anyone using Dashware with the Utility Logger App will need to do the same work with adjusting the formulas. Otherwise their data will be useless, other then looking pretty. As long as it is not too time consuming, I will surely share any info I have to help others get the same enjoyment from their efforts in making way cooler videos.

The video below was just something where I ran out back of my house to get the data in place to use some tips that ocatcr provided after I had to almost act a idiot with him to understand what info was missing to get the final step seen below. I trimmed the video right at 5 minutes. I took 90 something minutes just to render the Dashware software on my video. Then add the youtube process time. You can very easily take 3 hours just to put together a simple 5 minute video if using the Dashware option. I have over that in what I did because I did some editing of text color and some other stuff with in the software. Nothing hard, just takes time.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/PPbbQw-Kgi0[/youtube]

DBS said:
There ya go bro ... The " youtu.be " links don't work ... They have to be " .com/watch?v " style links to the video without the the "s" after http"s" for the player to show in the thread...

Thanks Chuck for the look out! I actually saw your response early on yesterday but didn't totally understand it at the time. Now that I quoted your response it stood right out on what you were saying. I got it now, thanks again!

OCATCR, it was 100% your input that helped me get to a point of figuring out what I did. As I say, the formulas on each gauge are out of adjustment and will need tweaked before they work as they should. I'll need to watch a portion of one of the tutorial videos before getting what is needed dialed in.

Knowing how you want stuff working right, I'm surprised you haven't already gotten this stuff dialed in. :)

thanks for your feedback. could you tell us more how you change the gauge formulas and what need to be changed.

flyNfrank said:
OCATCR, it was 100% your input that helped me get to a point of figuring out what I did. As I say, the formulas on each gauge are out of adjustment and will need tweaked before they work as they should. I'll need to watch a portion of one of the tutorial videos before getting what is needed dialed in.

Knowing how you want stuff working right, I'm surprised you haven't already gotten this stuff dialed in. :)

I'm comparing the dashware output with the video capture taken on my nexus 7. The distance and altitude are pretty close but speed is roughly 2 times more in Dashware. I also seem to have closer results when using metric system.
Has there been any compariso threads made between flytrex dashware and the djivision app video capture? I'm working on a new dashware profile just wondering if maybe this has already been done.
Has any one with flytex compared csv file with this loger apps csv? I have a feeling this logger app is not logging all the incoming data at samw rate as being fed into djivison app

Luap,

I noticed the same thing. LOVE the app -- it works great for me but I found the speed to be almost exactly double. I opened the csv file to verify what was recorded and sure enough. I made another post to Ocatcr in another thread about that discovery. Hopefully they will fix that one error.

kxkraze said:
Luap,

I noticed the same thing. LOVE the app -- it works great for me but I found the speed to be almost exactly double. I opened the csv file to verify what was recorded and sure enough. I made another post to Ocatcr in another thread about that discovery. Hopefully they will fix that one error.

please emailed us the original csv log generated by the app.

Here's a comparison video between DJI vision App's captured video and the .CSV data from the logger app using Dashware gauges marked green.

I made a calculated half speed gauge as well as number of found satellites marked green.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfg8FZDlAKQ[/youtube]

Still are issues. One of the main one is distance decreasing when I fly fast towards me and back out in a straight line.
The DJI Vision app updates albeit with some lag but the distance decreases to about 0 feet (in the video at the time by red circle= 000:4:22 ) when flying straight above me, logger app does not update the distance.

Again, this leads me to think the DJI vision is being fed more data per unit of time and is therefore more accurate than the csv file saved by the utility logger.

I didn't find that problem at all when testing the App. The only problem that I have found is the speed being double. It very well could be Kilometers Per Hour that is being sent back but it's being recorded as Miles Per Hour.

1 KPH = 0.6213712 MPH. That's pretty close to double. Ocatcr, since this is a Chinese product, there is a very good chance that this is the case and the DJI app will simply multiply by the MPH coefficient to convert. Laup, try multiplying by 0.6213712 for your computed value instead of dividing by 2, re-sync and see how close the DJI app and the Utility Logger app are.

Laup, not sure about that anomaly at around 4:22. I will fly this evening with the logger on and see, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

BTW, it looks like the DJI app is applying a Kalman Filter algorithm to their output. I have worked as an Aerospace Software Engineer for over 12 years now and we use Kalman Filters all the time in both weapons and aircraft avionics for providing smooth and predictive data even when their might be a lapse in the data stream.

Luap said:
Here's a comparison video between DJI vision App's captured video and the .CSV data from the logger app using Dashware gauges marked green.

I made a calculated half speed gauge as well as number of found satellites marked green.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfg8FZDlAKQ[/youtube]

Still are issues. One of the main one is distance decreasing when I fly fast towards me and back out in a straight line.
The DJI Vision app updates albeit with some lag but the distance decreases to about 0 feet (in the video at the time by red circle= 000:4:22 ) when flying straight above me, logger app does not update the distance.

Again, this leads me to think the DJI vision is being fed more data per unit of time and is therefore more accurate than the csv file saved by the utility logger.

Cool. We love your video that clearly stated the problem. first, we think we need to fix the wrong speed output. we are really appreciate your help.

kxkraze said:
I didn't find that problem at all when testing the App. The only problem that I have found is the speed being double. It very well could be Kilometers Per Hour that is being sent back but it's being recorded as Miles Per Hour.

1 KPH = 0.6213712 MPH. That's pretty close to double. Ocatcr, since this is a Chinese product, there is a very good chance that this is the case and the DJI app will simply multiply by the MPH coefficient to convert. Laup, try multiplying by 0.6213712 for your computed value instead of dividing by 2, re-sync and see how close the DJI app and the Utility Logger app are.

Laup, not sure about that anomaly at around 4:22. I will fly this evening with the logger on and see, but that hasn't happened to me yet.

BTW, it looks like the DJI app is applying a Kalman Filter algorithm to their output. I have worked as an Aerospace Software Engineer for over 12 years now and we use Kalman Filters all the time in both weapons and aircraft avionics for providing smooth and predictive data even when their might be a lapse in the data stream.

Yes. dividing the Speed (MPH) column by 2 should get a correct value. we will have an updated app soon that will include all the fixes based on recent feedback and suggestion.

Morgon said:
I wouldn't blindly divide by 2; do the proper conversion between KPH and MPH if that's the issue is. :)

trust us. the miscalculation is not related to the unit conversion.

Ocatcr is correct. I ran a test last night to specifically test this. First thing I did was multiply the app-generated speed data by 0.6213712. That is the proper unit conversion coefficient to switch from Kmh to Mph. The compared value was still slightly too high. Next, I multiplied by 0.5 and it was right on the money.

BTW Laup,

I also ran a test to see if I could duplicate what you observed with the flyby's and it never happened. I flew it up and down my street 15 to 20 times passing directly over my head every time. The distance was always correct. I captured the video and telemetry data and can crank out a YouTube video if you want.

Curious to know if you have tried this again with similar results

kxkraze said:
BTW Laup,

I also ran a test to see if I could duplicate what you observed with the flyby's and it never happened. I flew it up and down my street 15 to 20 times passing directly over my head every time. The distance was always correct. I captured the video and telemetry data and can crank out a YouTube video if you want.

Curious to know if you have tried this again with similar results

Yes do put it over Youtube - it will be interesting to see how it compares to mine.
Will have to fly some more to test flybys - hope weather permits soon.

ocatcr said:
Yes. dividing the Speed (MPH) column by 2 should get a correct value. we will have an updated app soon that will include all the fixes based on recent feedback and suggestion

Cool :D - please remember to update the P2V (non+) app as well! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj