Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Damaged prop

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by hwb2107, Apr 30, 2014.

1. hwb2107

Folks, wondering your opinion on the extent to which flying will be affected by this minor prop damage.

Obviously it will affect lift efficiency, and battery to some degree, but I'm wondering if you think it is negligible, or imperative that I replace.

2. amkorp

I think the consensus on this forum is that its better to replace the $20 prop than to risk your $1300 phantom.

I've always found that if you have to ask or are unsure, always go the safer route. Replace before you fly again.

3. hwb2107

That's a very fair response. I do know, however, that it flies fairly fine with the damaged prop (did one flight at sunset, which was the closing shot in my mini-doc) and flew indoors to test with no problems. Then again, if you guys think it's stupid to risk it (who knows, maybe it would have an exaggerated negative response to down wash when descending quickly), then I'll swap out.

Thanks.

4. Dirty Bird

I would replace the prop immediately. Not worth the loss of a $1300 aircraft over a $7.50 prop.

5. hwb2107

Done deal. Thanks again.

6. yawnalot29

I thought the props were like $15 to $18 for 2 pack? Can't get just one.

You could sand it smooth, balance it, and try flying low to see if it's stable and responsive :) You know, maybe 4 or 5 feet above a grassy field.

But if you want to take any risk, buy new props.

7. varmint

Any damage to a prop at all will introduce a possible point of failure. Even if you don't notice a change in flying qualities, it's best to replace it immediately, because it can fail at any time.

8. Dirty Bird

They are $15 a set which works out to $7.50 each if my math skills are still functional. ;) Honestly this is a total no brainer folks. Damaged props are likely to fracture. I have seen many fly apart after what seemed a harmless impact, even when there is no visible damage. If the prop fails, the Phantom is coming down, and it is NOT worth the risk. If a prop shows a crack or chip don't risk losing your bird. Replace the prop!