Damaged Batteries

Reaction score
Went to fly yesterday. One battery dead and two had damaged cells. I am using the 4 battery charging hub. Any Ideas. Only about 8 charges on each battery.

What's the history of the batteries and how do you store them?

I got them the beginning of January. Have been charged about 8 times. I store them in the hub on discharge and then charge them a day before I plan to fly. They are in my basement which is cool and dry.

I got them the beginning of January. Have been charged about 8 times. I store them in the hub on discharge and then charge them a day before I plan to fly. They are in my basement which is cool and dry.
You say stored on discharge, I hope you mean 30 to 50% charge which is what the hub will charge them to if set for storage. They shouldn't be left fully charged or fully discharged any longer than absolutely necessary. Cool and dry is the best storage environment so you did well there.

They shouldn't die like that in a couple of months even if they were left fully discharged although their life will have been shortened. A full charge to balance each cell may help to rectify the problem. Obviously DJI Go can't actually inspect the battery for damage, It just gives you that message if one cell voltage is significantly lower than its 3 mates and a full charge could bring the cell voltages back into line. As for the dead battery, it has to be pulled apart and have its electronics reset to have any hope of recovery, I have no experience with that.

I can't help thinking that there has to be some common element here, new batteries don't fail that quickly even if abused, I wonder if you have found a manufacturing fault with a batch of batteries, have they got a similar Serial Number?

As a matter of interest what is your DJI "battery life" reading on each of the batteries, I would be curious to know if the battery life reading plummets when presented with a lagging/failed cell or whether it is more dependent on the number charge cycles (which would obviously not be a realistic indication of remaining battery life in this case).

Last edited:
I had flown one day and used the three batteries down to about 10% left., I charged them fully in the hub and then set it to storage mode. Three days later all the batteries showed %50 charge. The next week I was going to fly and put the hub to charge. Went to get batteries the next day and found one dead and two with bad cells.

The serial number on the two batteries that have bad cells are the same except for the last three digits. The other battery is completely different and was manufactured about a month before the two. When I bought the drone it was a package with three batteries. One came with the drone and two extras put with it.

I can't give you much more info as they are on their way back to DJI.

Good thing to send them in. After your done flying for the day and your batteries are cool place them in the hub on storage mode (do not charge them to full). They will charge to around 50%, take them out of the charger and they are in storage mode. On fly day place them in your hub on charge and they will go to 100%. Try to land around 20% as this will also increase battery life. If you fully charge them 100% then go to storage mode 50% you are using up battery cycles and reducing life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers