Dallas Area Phantom 2 Pilot

Just bought my Phantom 2 (non-vision) with the GImbal and I'm using a GoPro Hero 3+. I may be up for a meet-up at some point. I'm in Carrollton, close to 35 and 121.

I've been scoping out good places to fly in the metroplex... any suggestions?

I just ordered the new Phantom 2 Vision+ and am excited to get to fly it. I noticed that we cant fly around the DFW airport, but Love Field is fine, do yall think that will change when the Love Field gets opened up to more destinations later this year?

West Texas guy here, just getting started with a Phantom 2 and GoPro for aerial photography.

Am eager to learn from those who have gone before, but living in Midland, travel and the calendar are significant issues.

Advise.

jkiszka said:
Just bought my Phantom 2 (non-vision) with the GImbal and I'm using a GoPro Hero 3+. I may be up for a meet-up at some point. I'm in Carrollton, close to 35 and 121.

I've been scoping out good places to fly in the metroplex... any suggestions?

Everywhere! I have been flying everywhere. Getting downtown Dallas footage, wide open areas where there is no wifi interference for long range flying etc...

McKinney here. P2 H3-3D is currently shipping. Can not wait for it to arrive!

If someone is looking for experience or to build their portfolio of flying and filming,
This might be a longshot but me and my friend are hoping to film some of our cars either in Arkansas or down in Austin were willing to pay for someone's food and travel expenses the film us if anyone from Dallas is available please shoot me a PM

S2000world said:
If someone is looking for experience or to build their portfolio of flying and filming,
This might be a longshot but me and my friend are hoping to film some of our cars either in Arkansas or down in Austin were willing to pay for someone's food and travel expenses the film us if anyone from Dallas is available please shoot me a PM
Oh - Since I am new here - just shoot me an email to [email protected] - thanks!

andresjohn said:
I just ordered the new Phantom 2 Vision+ and am excited to get to fly it. I noticed that we cant fly around the DFW airport, but Love Field is fine, do yall think that will change when the Love Field gets opened up to more destinations later this year?

What do you mean "love Field is Fine" ??? You want to fly your phantom at love field? For those who dont know that is Southwest Airlines home airport, and biggest hub. I cant imagine that love field is "fine." When one of us does something stupid, we ALL get punished, eventually. Use your head. Dont fly near airports. I didnt even think the computer in the phantoms allowed the motors to be turned on when in controlled airspace. Maybe you are just trolling for controversy.

Need to take measurements off of a Phantom 2 with GoPro.
I have made a camera guard to protect the P2V+ and I am developing one for the Phantom 2. I need to see the actual bird to take a few measurements-distance between camera and ground, and free space around camera as it moves. Anyone game?
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16518

Attachments

• camera guard front view.jpg
    camera guard front view.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 718
that's a great idea and looks good.
I wonder how it impacts aerodynamics? It would be an interesting test to determine battery life with and without it.

I am game!
I live in McKinney and work near 121&DNT.
I have a P2 with an H3-3D.

fastsmiles said:
I have made a camera guard to protect the P2V+ and I am developing one for the Phantom 2. I need to see the actual bird to take a few measurements-distance between camera and ground, and free space around camera as it moves. Anyone game?

lutece7 said:
andresjohn said:

What do you mean "love Field is Fine" ??? You want to fly your phantom at love field? For those who dont know that is Southwest Airlines home airport, and biggest hub. I cant imagine that love field is "fine." When one of us does something stupid, we ALL get punished, eventually. Use your head. Dont fly near airports. I didnt even think the computer in the phantoms allowed the motors to be turned on when in controlled airspace. Maybe you are just trolling for controversy.

Within 3 miles of love field is def NOT fine. Also stay under 400 ft per the current FAA guidelines. If you do need to fly within three miles of any airport you are required to notify the airport operator if there is one.

Did any of you buy your Phantom locally? I don't see any dealers in the DFW area except down towards Austin.

I've been practicing with some smaller ones and want to get a Phantom soon.

Dlandrum said:
that's a great idea and looks good.
I wonder how it impacts aerodynamics? It would be an interesting test to determine battery life with and without it.

I am game!
I live in McKinney and work near 121&DNT.
I have a P2 with an H3-3D.

fastsmiles said:

Hi, I'm looking for someone to capture some aerial shots for me on August 1st and 2nd this week. Please message me if your interested. [email protected]

Hi, I'm looking for someone to capture some aerial shots for me in Dallas at Irving Convention Center on August 1st and 2nd this weekend for about an hour max each day or even one day. Please message me if your interested and I am willing to pay. [email protected]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4