Cutting Phantom Motors Mid-Flight

Reaction score
I have seen alot of questions on here about if using the motor start sequence during flight will shut off the motors. I also see questions about if holding throttle down for 3 seconds will shut off motors mid-flight. I tested both here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heIrawl ... 3GjL3x713g

Be careful though --- only in "Intelligent Mode" will the motors not shut off with the "Throttle Down > 3 Seconds" maneuver during a flight. They WILL shut off with this maneuver in "Immediate Mode" during a flight.

Also, I asked about this throttle shutoff technique at the official DJI Forums and a DJI tech confirmed that motors will shut off with the left stick maneuver if Phantom is descending in an updraft and it detects very little vertical movement. I realize this situation is rare but it COULD happen --- such as flying in the desert on a really hot day when there are updrafts because of rising heat vortices.

I can imagine in the future, drones will be a lot smarter and use some kind of radar or LIDAR to detect it's proximity to the ground before it cuts off the motors.

So there obviously is a logic sequence regarding shutoff that involves input from motion detectors. Is there information available on this? I wonder if the Phantom will start up when it is tumbling or falling. Is there documentation of anyone who was willing to throw the Phantom off a building or cliff and then start it up successfully and have it right itself?

BaldEagle said:
So there obviously is a logic sequence regarding shutoff that involves input from motion detectors. Is there information available on this? I wonder if the Phantom will start up when it is tumbling or falling. Is there documentation of anyone who was willing to throw the Phantom off a building or cliff and then start it up successfully and have it right itself?

I don't see any reason why a CSC after the motors cut off wouldn't restart the motors during a freefall situation?

I'd also like to see a real demonstration of this! :p

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie