Cut off in ioc

Reaction score
If IO is on, and you. descend with zero throotle in Gps mode I have heard you. won't cut off the engine. Is this true, I don't want to crash in an emergy descent, rain, birds, etc. I am wary and only descend maybe at 1/3 throttle. Son't know where 10% cutoff is as there is no audible warning, which they ahould have put the option in during manufacture

So what is the truth to no. cutoff at zero throttle in ioc mode?

IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) is different to what you're talking about, which is an "Intelligent" cut-off mode - easy to get them confused, though.

But yes, provided the NAZA in the Phantom is set to "Intelligent" cut off mode rather than "Immediate", it will not cut power to the motors until 3 seconds (I think) after the craft has actually landed (although it also detects when I hand-catch the Phantom, so it must also use some sort of sensor to work out when it's no longer descending.)

I'm pretty sure they're set to "Intelligent" by default, but you can check it by going into the NAZA-M Assistant software.

If you hand catch and zero throttle it shuts down in 3 seconds as long as its not moving still. I think there is a failsafe to stop cut off unless set to immediate but really 0% throttle is a very uncontrolled decent and should be avoided. If you learn to fly in manual mode you can descend much faster by just nose diving straight down without needing to drop throttle much below hover percentage. You simply level out and add throttle at the bottom and you can drop very fast, if you mess up the bottom section though it will crash just as hard. :(

In INTELLIGENT mode, it will not cut engines until it has been "still" for several seconds. When I hand catch, if I continue to wiggle it around, the engines will not cut off.

I often drop to zero throttle to bring it down quickly. As it gets close to the ground, you must move to at least 50% throttle or you'll have a bit of a hard landing. :)

I've done throttle off descents with no problems, though I was afraid to try it for the first 100 or so flights. Phantom set to IOC and on GPS or ATTI. Just be cautious not to ever have both sticks full over into a corner which would likely stop the motors. Note too that with the throttle at zero and the Phantom descending fast, it seems to stay upright pretty well . . . which is a good thing as the right stick doesn't have much if any effect when the throttle is zero. I bring the throttle up well before impact.

bumper

The motor cutoff mode came Intelligent as default but I changed it to Immediately because where I fly it was a little windy, so after the landing with Intelligent mode the props kept spinning for 3 seconds before they stopped. The 3 seconds spinning props acted like the rotary wing and the wind caught it and flip my Phantom over many times and that's why I change to Immediately mode.
There is additional benefit of the Intelligent mode: if the Phantom leans over 70 degree, the motors will stop. This is to prevent more damages in case of crashes, ran into the trees or etc.
Do not confuse this with IOC (Home Lock, Course Lock).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik