Custom phantom builders

Reaction score
Anybody know of anyone that builds custom phantoms rtf with fpv, gopro gimbal and aftermarket radio all in a case? I'm just getting into aerial photography and don't want to spend allot. Uav advertising seems to be the only company I can find. They seem to know what they are talking about and if I had a spare $3500 I would definitely go for it but it a pretty heavy outlay.

Cheers

UAV Advertising is the only place I know that will sell you completely modded Phantoms with what you are looking for. From what I can tell he knows what he is doing with the Phantom. However, I would suggest you start out slow. Get your self the basic Phantom, learn to fly it and then add the upgraded rx/tx, gimbal, fpv, etc. Won't do you any good spending money on all of that equipment and then go crash and burning it all on the first flight.

I've been flying ar drones for over 12 months now with no real crashes so as far as I can tell moving from a touch screen to control sticks could only get easier right? Correct me if I'm wrong! I wouldn't just receive it in the mail charge some batteries the go flying through forest full throttle with fpv it's just more of a convinience thing for me to have it all ready when I do gain more experience. I would buy each component over time but assembly would be a huge learning curve. This unfortunately for me turns an expensive hobby into an evenn more expensive one.

sparts87 said:
Anybody know of anyone that builds custom phantoms rtf with fpv, gopro gimbal and aftermarket radio all in a case? I'm just getting into aerial photography and don't want to spend allot. Uav advertising seems to be the only company I can find. They seem to know what they are talking about and if I had a spare $3500 I would definitely go for it but it a pretty heavy outlay.

Cheers

The stuff does all add up. (now that I look at what I spent! eeek. . :lol: ) I think I'm at around $2500 now, -which includes all the gear you mentioned.

But I agree with what others have said,. there's no need to jump into the deep end first.
Get the Phantom and GoPro and gain some practice, read up in these forums about prop balancing, vibration isolation and all that stuff.
and then just pick up a Fatshark system, and then decide if you need a gimbal (and what kind) and an aftermarket radio.

why pay someone else extra $ when you can set up all those things in a few afternoons on your own - and know how to repair/operate them!

Bit of an off topic question but after spending $2500 on a phantom do you now wish you had of just bought a rtf f450 (or something similar) I'm assuming the costs would of been similar? I don't want to buy a phantom then grow out of it like I did with the ar drone.

Bit of an off topic question but after spending $2500 on a phantom do you now wish you had of just bought a rtf f450 (or something similar) I'm assuming the costs would of been similar? I don't want to buy a phantom then grow out of it like I did with the ar drone.

The answer is YES. If I had known then what I know now, I would have looked into a QAV400 or QAV500, a Honey Badger,
or TBS Discovery.

I am in the process of building a TBS Discovery Extreme. All those builds, are quite similar, and are exceptionally good
for FPV, and aerial photography using a GoPro.
If you like flying over water, look at Aquacopter, or QUADH20.

actually the phantom is the basic "entry" model. really no build experience needed to put it together unlike the F450. even the lesser f330 requires some kind of build knowledge; not to mention that all of them are build kits (not rtf). just did a quick pricing and the f450 would have cost a bit more than the phantom. i am actually very happy with getting the phantom, figuring things out and learning. then when i am ready to go up to the next model, i'll still be able to carry some of the components over like the fpv, gimbal, gopro, etc. (supposing i don't damage them in the learning process).

sparts87 said:

Really tough call.
I'm pretty happy with my Phantom, and dig that I can fit it all in a case.

There is definitely a part of me that's a bit envious of people who own larger quads (and hex's), tho I can't quite say I regret my purchase, as it's been a tremendous learning experience.
Really dunno what Copter I might choose if I had to go back again. perhaps a F450 would have been a good choice,. but they're ugly! :D
I like to think that I spent $700-$800 on a Phantom,. and the rest (GoPro, FPV, TX, charger,.etc) on my new hobby. :p

I wouldn't buy anything until DJI releases pricing and more info on the Zenmuse Hero H3-2D Gimbal and the Phantom Vision.

The vision offers FPV built in, and it's possible that the H3-2D will as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav