Custom Made ND filter no added weight Updated with Comparison Photos

Hi Captain_Bob yes I am selling them until I run out of film sheets. I have my CNC machine cutting them out now and it looks like I will have about 100 of them available and am selling them in pairs to give you a total of 6 stops when combined.
I would like to beget a set

I recently purchased some -3 stop ND Gel material and setup my CNC machine with a drag knife and cut a filter to fit exactly into the removable lens cover that is on the Phantom 3.

It is raining here at the moment so have not had a chance to take it out for a test but will post comparison pictures here when i am able....

For now here are some pics of the filter and of it installed on my camera....

View attachment 19309 View attachment 19310 View attachment 19311

Would like a set of ND filters to Vancouver, Canada, if you do get the extra materials, thanks!

I recently purchased some -3 stop ND Gel material and setup my CNC machine with a drag knife and cut a filter to fit exactly into the removable lens cover that is on the Phantom 3.

It is raining here at the moment so have not had a chance to take it out for a test but will post comparison pictures here when i am able....

For now here are some pics of the filter and of it installed on my camera....

View attachment 19309 View attachment 19310 View attachment 19311

Hi, can you put me down for a set, delivery to UK...... Thanks

I would take a set if they are available. Please let me know

Hello All, I just returned meeting with my mate for coffee and he is able to get me some more of the Wratten 2 Gel material at his cost which is significantly lower than purchasing it through a supplier myself. We contacted his supplier and they had two 6" x 6" sheets left in stock and I went ahead and purchased it...I guess this Gel material is all that the movie industry uses on their very high end cameras when shooting a movie and is in demand...who knew o_O .. I ran it through my program for cutting and I can get 30 sets of filters from it. It is the exact same material and provides 3 stops so the set of two filters used together you can get a total of 6 stops. Unfortunately this material cost me a bit more and for a set shipped the cost will be $5 anywhere in the US. Others that want it sent abroad I will have to work out the shipping cost for you so just PM me on this forum and we can work it out. I have quite a few people that have contacted me but since the pricing is a bit more please let me know if you are still interested.

Reactions: rmarler
I don't know much about gel filters. Is it possible to get an ND8 type filter instead of using two? Forgive my ignorance

I don't know much about gel filters. Is it possible to get an ND8 type filter instead of using two? Forgive my ignorance

They do have a Wratten 2 10 stop gel but I like having the choice by just combining the filters to get the stop you require for that particular day and this Gel material and I have not seen any clarity degradation in my testing of placing 4 gels together for a total of 12 stops on the Phantom 3.

I just got the shipping confirmation and the Gel will be here tomorrow afternoon and I will get it cut and shipped out by the weekend...these are going very quickly and i have only 5 sets left...

They do have a Wratten 2 10 stop gel but I like having the choice by just combining the filters to get the stop you require for that particular day and this Gel material and I have not seen any clarity degradation in my testing of placing 4 gels together for a total of 12 stops on the Phantom 3.
Ok, great. Looking forward to getting mine

I just got the shipping confirmation and the Gel will be here tomorrow afternoon and I will get it cut and shipped out by the weekend...these are going very quickly and i have only 5 sets left...
Please reserve me a set from the second batch! PM me info for payment. Appreciate it!

Hi dataway, how many filters can you fit inside the removable lens cap please? Were you able to fit the 4 filters mentioned earlier ok?

An ND filter isn't going to get you better still photos in terms of color/exposure. In the examples posted the ones without the filter are all over exposed. If you do your exposure settings correctly the two images should look identical with and without the filter. ND filters are used a lot in still photography to be able to use a slower shutter speed so that you can smooth out things like water in a lake or a waterfall.

I understand an ND filter helps with videos as it can reduce jello, but simply showing these photo examples is a bit misleading.

dmcgrew if you look at the thread the photos were specifically asked for by a member and I was addressing his request not trying to mislead anyone here...

dmcgrew if you look at the thread the photos were specifically asked for by a member and I was addressing his request not trying to mislead anyone here...

The video is also misleading. The original was extremely over-exposed and no way would the camera over-expose the video that much in auto mode. You're comparing the same exact f-stop, ISO, and shutter speed with and without the ND. That's the wrong way to do it.

An ND filter isn't going to get you better still photos in terms of color/exposure. In the examples posted the ones without the filter are all over exposed. If you do your exposure settings correctly the two images should look identical with and without the filter. ND filters are used a lot in still photography to be able to use a slower shutter speed so that you can smooth out things like water in a lake or a waterfall.

I understand an ND filter helps with videos as it can reduce jello, but simply showing these photo examples is a bit misleading.
Dataway replied to my post requesting these still images so I can have a look at the optical clarity of the Wratten2 gels.

dcmcgrew you are correct that auto mode would not overexpose the video but the test was to show if you were to set the shutter speed to the rule of double the frame rate in this case my frame rate was 24fps so I shot it at 1/100 as I only had 2 filters cut at the time and the Histogram showed that to be a acceptable frame rate with a bit of over exposure if shot in auto the frame rate would have been 1/1600 which produced jello effect in my previous videos I shot...The ND filters allow me to set my frame rate accordingly and remove the jello effect I was experiencing and this is a comparison if I were to shoot with those same settings with an ND filter in place.

the Histogram showed that to be a acceptable frame rate with a bit of over exposure if shot in auto the frame rate would have been 1/1600 which produced jello effect in my previous videos I shot...The ND filters allow me to set my frame rate accordingly and remove the jello effect I was experiencing and this is a comparison if I were to shoot with those same settings with an ND filter in place.
When you have a moment would either yourself or someone else mind explaining how to read the Histogram to determine an acceptable frame rate without too much over exposure please? I'll start googling now but wanted to ask in case there was a fairly simple answer. :)

Update: Good old google - decent article here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/histograms.htm

Reactions: dhaslam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20