Custom Case For MY Phantom

Looks great going to get one of them for mine just waiting for stock to come back in

Nice work, this is an excellent accessory for the zombie apocalypse! A self sustaining P2V. How long for a solar recharge on the battery?

Thanks, I don't know how long yet, just finished it. It should charge in about 1 1/2 hours just like it does at home. the motorcycle battery should do the job. the solar is for back up. Also there is a plug for the USB :cool:

I guess it's not for sissy's. Actually This is the same case everyone else is useing and the battery and accessories only add another 5 lbs. I open the lid to face the sun to maximize the power I get from the solar panel. It has USB ports so I can charge my AA's , wifi and smart battery. My canoe and ATV carry the load.

Now I don't have to run home after every flight to recharge.

Attachments

• ScreenShot055.jpg
    ScreenShot055.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 453
  • ScreenShot056.jpg
    ScreenShot056.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 442
  • ScreenShot057.jpg
    ScreenShot057.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 450
wildcatter said:
I guess it's not for sissy's. Actually This is the same case everyone else is useing and the battery and accessories only add another 5 lbs. I open the lid to face the sun to maximize the power I get from the solar panel. It has USB ports so I can charge my AA's , wifi and smart battery. My canoe and ATV carry the load.

Great... Now I've got an extreme case of "Case Envy!!!" I just finished setting mine up and I was so proud!!!! :oops:

wildcatter said:
Thats ok gunslinger, it's an easy upgrade.

The wife's not gonna be a big fan of yours... :D

hahaha, I know the feeling. :roll:

Attachments

• ScreenShot082.jpg
    ScreenShot082.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 424
  • ScreenShot083.jpg
    ScreenShot083.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 428
  • ScreenShot084.jpg
    ScreenShot084.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 438
what part about the motorcycle battery don't you get khakiss? the solar panel is to charge the m battery while I am off flying. it only takes 1 1/2 hrs to charge the phantom.

First off, I admire your creativity!

Just a few small points, that battery would be lucky to be any more than 10aH, meaning you'll get about 3 full charges of a 11.1v 2200MaH, but it would struggle to charge the vision 5200MaH battery twice. Also, it looks to be a "flooded" lead acid motorcycle battery, meaning its likely to seep battery acid when tilted and also can produce flammable gasses while charging.

The solar panel would be no more than 5Watts (I'm being generous there) so in full sunlight it would be pushing out about 0.4A at most. 5W/0.4A would take 25 hours (continuous sunlight) to charge a 12v 10aH battery, or 6 hours for a 2200mah battery, and 12+ hours for a 5200mah Vision battery.

. . . Also, all those numbers are ignoring power used by the inverter and charger, and assume 100% electrical efficiency.

I was thinking of making a similar box, I almost have, but I'd rather go without the solar (or pay big $$ for something that'll pump 3A+) and invest in a larger battery, tho that'll increase the weight a fair bit too, I did invest in a 12v charger I can run of a car (that bypass the power used by an inverter!) now once I use all my batteries (or when I'm down to my last 1 or 2) ill put the rest on charge in a vehicle and I'm able to continue flying (with someone else watching the charger) this almost allows me to fly around most of the day, currently with only 4 "flight" batteries.

But still, nice work ;)

your right about the battery. I mounted the battery so that the vent tube is on the top side when I am carrying the case. Also I vented the battery. I am not sure what the solar panel puts out. I bought it awhile back, it is specifically for charging 12 batteries. Something I was useing to charge tracktors, lawn mowers. This was all just a test with parts I had laying around the shop. I plan to replace the battery with a gell cell, maintenance-free battery. I did put the dual power plug in so I can plug into the powerport on my ATV as well. All in all what it comes down to is I can stay out all day now and be flying. Good luck with your build and let us know what you come up with. thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl