Current Best Setup?

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a FPV for my Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D / GoPro 3. I'd also like to have OSD.

I've dug around the pages here and can't seem to find a thread that lists the current best setup. Would be nice to have a sticky on the subject.

If there is a known quality thread that discusses this, please link to that!

Thank you for your help!

You will probably get a number of opinions, however here is what I got after doing a bit of research. Overall, I’m very satisfied with everything as far as range and quality.

ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter - FatShark compatible (600mw) (Hobbyking.com)
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antenna V2 (SMA) (Hobbyking.com)
Immersion Fatshark SpiroNET CP Patch 5.8GHz Antenna (SMA) 13dBi Gain (Hobbyking.com)
DJI iOSD Mini (amazon.com)
Plug and Play Cable: DJI Phantom 2 to iOSD Mini and Fat Shark/ImmersionRC Transmitter (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDX65OS)
Black Pearl 7" LCD Screen FPV Diversity (7 channel version with SMA antenna connectors) (http://www.rangevideo.com/lcd-screen/55 ... esign.html)
DJI Monitor Mount (raveaerialvideo.com)

Optional (lets you track flight in realtime on iPhone and replay with Google Earth:
ImmersionRC TinyTelemetry (getfpv.com)
ImmersionRC - ITelemetry Dongle (https://www.readymaderc.com)

Mike Fix said:
I've dug around the pages here and can't seem to find a thread that lists the current best setup.

Well, if money is no object, I think the Lightbridge is probably the current best setup. It will give you pristine HD video with telemetry data, but it comes with a $1400 price tag.
In the more affordable range, ImmersionRC and Boscam are probably the most popular transmitters. I haven't really come across a real head to head comparison between the different models but nobody seems to have any real complaints with either brand. I use a 400mw Boscam and went out 1600m with the stock antennas. The Black Pearl seems to be the most popular monitor lately, but there are offerings from Boscam and others as well. They all have their pros and cons I guess. I opted for a Skyzone 702 and it's served me well so far.
I haven't really come across any major negatives with the popular combos being used. I think the antennas play a more important role in reception than the brand name. Just be aware that IRC and Boscam use slightly different frequencies so make sure your receiver/monitor matches.
Good luck!

@ Mike,

Price is an object, $1,400 is about $1,000 more than I'd like to spend.. Though it's looking like I'll be in the $500 range by the time it's all said and done.

Thanks for your input! I'll do some research on what you suggested!

mcopete's list was very good, but I have a few minor suggestions you can do with them what you will:

If you're not looking for a HD input/output from the FPV display, you can save some money going with the Boscam RX-LCD5802 instead of the Black Pearl. don't forget NEITHER display comes with a wall charger, so you'll either need to adapt the plug that comes with it and patch in a power supply, or buy a power supply separately.

Those antennas he mentioned are fine, but if you're interested in splurging on premium antennas there's a 3-antenna $110 kit from FPVLR which is pretty much the ultimate... comes with a pinwheel for the transmitter, and 2 receiver antennas: a pinwheel (omnidirectional) and a helix (long range directional). Here's the link
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97
if indeed you go with these you want the sma-male option (for the transmit antenna) and you'll want to contact the sales email after you place your order and confirm your receiver (the BP or Boscam) so he makes sure to get you the right plugs.

If you're going to fly over water, look into a Getterback a bunch of us have them.

You'll probably want a lanyard because the RC + display can get heavy

make sure you do an internal mount of the iOSD Mini. You'll have to move the can-bus cable from the leg up into the body of the Phantom but it's super easy and makes your install much cleaner.

There are tons of discussions in this forum (FPV) about the above process, mounting the transmitter, etc

QYV said:
mcopete's list was very good, but I have a few minor suggestions you can do with them what you will:

If you're not looking for a HD input/output from the FPV display, you can save some money going with the Boscam RX-LCD5802 instead of the Black Pearl. don't forget NEITHER display comes with a wall charger, so you'll either need to adapt the plug that comes with it and patch in a power supply, or buy a power supply separately.

Those antennas he mentioned are fine, but if you're interested in splurging on premium antennas there's a 3-antenna $110 kit from FPVLR which is pretty much the ultimate... comes with a pinwheel for the transmitter, and 2 receiver antennas: a pinwheel (omnidirectional) and a helix (long range directional). Here's the link
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97
if indeed you go with these you want the sma-male option (for the transmit antenna) and you'll want to contact the sales email after you place your order and confirm your receiver (the BP or Boscam) so he makes sure to get you the right plugs.

If you're going to fly over water, look into a Getterback a bunch of us have them.

You'll probably want a lanyard because the RC + display can get heavy

make sure you do an internal mount of the iOSD Mini. You'll have to move the can-bus cable from the leg up into the body of the Phantom but it's super easy and makes your install much cleaner.

There are tons of discussions in this forum (FPV) about the above process, mounting the transmitter, etc

I totally agree with QYV ;)

Ohary said:
I was thinking of going with a FPV setup as well. I plan on going no farther than about 1km and was wondering if these goggles would work: http://www.helidirect.com/fatshark-pred ... -33915.hdx

With the above, I was thinking of adding the iosd, but will I also need additional antennas?

(Sorry to hijack this thread).

Mark O

Do you currently have a non-Vision Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro? If so, you do FPV completely different from that setup you linked. You can do goggles pretty easily with a non-Vision Phantom, but you won't need that little CCD camera and transmitter. You'll get a different transmitter and link into the video feed from the Zenmuse gimbal. Then on the ground you can get whatever goggles you want, if they come with a 5.8Ghz receiver built in we'll make sure you get a compatible transmitter. If they don't have a receiver built in you just need a receiver that is compatible with the transmitter (there are combos everywhere).

the performance you'll get will depend on the antennas you use for sure. Transmitter power is only part of the equation, antennas are the other part. shitty, cheap antennas = no range. premium antennas = long range solid signal. there's a middle ground depending on your budget

I have a non-Vision Phantom 2 with the zenmuse gimbal, but SJ4000 camera (has both micro USB and micro HDMI out but no wifi). Not sure if that matters.

What ideally I'd like to get is an affordable (something int he $400-500 range) first person view using/transmitting the video from the SJ4000 with a 1km range.

Ohary said:
I have a non-Vision Phantom 2 with the zenmuse gimbal, but SJ4000 camera (has both micro USB and micro HDMI out but no wifi). Not sure if that matters.

What ideally I'd like to get is an affordable (something int he $400-500 range) first person view using/transmitting the video from the SJ4000 with a 1km range.

how comfortable are you with soldering a few wires? Which model Zenmuse gimbal? If you've got a standard H3-3D those have a USB plug which takes video into the gimbal then on to the Phantom mainboard, basically a standard FPV setup it'll be quite simple.

Not sure which model I have but it is less than 3 months old. It does have a ribbon but no direct usb connector so I'd probably need some sort of connector dongle.

So I'd need a transmitter for the video, a receiver with lcd or goggles and correct me if I'm wrong, but the iosd would transpmit flight data as well? Range would be dependent on the antenna setup?

Ohary said:
Not sure which model I have but it is less than 3 months old. It does have a ribbon but no direct usb connector so I'd probably need some sort of connector dongle.

standard H3-3D looks like this, there's ribbon cable coming out the back of the gimbal which goes to a USB connector
H3-3D_Gimbal-cable.jpg

Ohary said:
So I'd need a transmitter for the video, a receiver with lcd or goggles and correct me if I'm wrong, but the iosd would transpmit flight data as well? Range would be dependent on the antenna setup?

correct. an iOSD Mini overlays telemetry flight data onto the video broadcast.
You need a transmitter to transmit the signal back
If you get a LCD receiver, just get one with a 5.8Ghz receiver built in. best options are a Boscam RX-LCD5802 and a Black Pearl 7 channel.

I don't know as much about goggles, I think some goggles have a receiver built in others do not. If you get a pair of goggles that do NOT, you'll need a receiver to match the transmitter, then you'll plug the goggles into the receiver.

correct - quality of antennas will be a major factor in your performance and range.

mcopete said:
You will probably get a number of opinions, however here is what I got after doing a bit of research. Overall, I’m very satisfied with everything as far as range and quality.

ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter - FatShark compatible (600mw) (Hobbyking.com)
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antenna V2 (SMA) (Hobbyking.com)
Immersion Fatshark SpiroNET CP Patch 5.8GHz Antenna (SMA) 13dBi Gain (Hobbyking.com)
DJI iOSD Mini (amazon.com)
Plug and Play Cable: DJI Phantom 2 to iOSD Mini and Fat Shark/ImmersionRC Transmitter (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDX65OS)
Black Pearl 7" LCD Screen FPV Diversity (7 channel version with SMA antenna connectors) (http://www.rangevideo.com/lcd-screen/55 ... esign.html)
DJI Monitor Mount (raveaerialvideo.com)

Optional (lets you track flight in realtime on iPhone and replay with Google Earth:
ImmersionRC TinyTelemetry (getfpv.com)
ImmersionRC - ITelemetry Dongle (https://www.readymaderc.com)

Researching the FPV setup for my non-vision Phantom 2 with H3-D3 gimbal and have a question......

Why 2 antennae?

Andym said:
Researching the FPV setup for my non-vision Phantom 2 with H3-D3 gimbal and have a question......

Why 2 antennae?

Well you need at least 2: one for the transmitter and another for the receiver. Most of us have a "diversity receiver" meaning there are 2 antenna ports on the receiver, and whichever antenna has better signal the display uses. The FPVLR bundle has 3 antennas... 1 for the transmitter of course, and then the 2 receiver antennas; one is a shorter range omnidirectional that is great in low interference environments, the other is a "helix".. much longer range but it's directional you must keep it pointed at the transmitter (Phantom)

QYV said:
Andym said:

Why 2 antennae?

Well you need at least 2: one for the transmitter and another for the receiver. Most of us have a "diversity receiver" meaning there are 2 antenna ports on the receiver, and whichever antenna has better signal the display uses. The FPVLR bundle has 3 antennas... 1 for the transmitter of course, and then the 2 receiver antennas; one is a shorter range omnidirectional that is great in low interference environments, the other is a "helix".. much longer range but it's directional you must keep it pointed at the transmitter (Phantom)

Ok....I understand the transmitter part (xmit video to monitor) but why receiver? What is being received?

Exactly what is needed for a simple system? I know it has a list at the top of this thread but now I'm even more corn-fuzed!!

I don't really want to spend $600 for a complete system if I can just buy the components cheaper.

Thanks for the help!

Andym said:
Ok....I understand the transmitter part (xmit video to monitor) but why receiver? What is being received?

Exactly what is needed for a simple system? I know it has a list at the top of this thread but now I'm even more corn-fuzed!!

I don't really want to spend $600 for a complete system if I can just buy the components cheaper.

Thanks for the help!

wow um.. what's being received? the FPV signal that you're sending from the Phantom!
if you're transmitting something... you have to receive it, do you not? I think perhaps we're just confusing terms when I say "receiver" I mean a LCD screen display with a built in receiver... most common are the Black Pearl and Boscam/Neewer RX-LCD5802

a "complete system" including premium antennas can be built for about $450. transmitter, iosd mini, receiver, charger for receiver, monitor mount, and antennas.

Well I've gotten 1/2 way there. Bought a 1.5w transmitter, 7" diversity receiver, upgraded antenna (circular polarized), iosd, but not able (yet) to connect to my sj4000 cam.

Two questions:

1. If I'm unsuccessful connecting the sj4000 video out, what versions of the go pro will work (white, silver, black)?

2. Are there any other ways of splicing in video?

QYV said:
Andym said:

Thanks for the help!

wow um.. what's being received? the FPV signal that you're sending from the Phantom!
if you're transmitting something... you have to receive it, do you not? I think perhaps we're just confusing terms when I say "receiver" I mean a LCD screen display with a built in receiver... most common are the Black Pearl and Boscam/Neewer RX-LCD5802

a "complete system" including premium antennas can be built for about $450. transmitter, iosd mini, receiver, charger for receiver, monitor mount, and antennas.

in my best homer simpson voice...."dooh!" i wasn't thinking about receiving the video signal.

so let me as this....what do you like using the most? goggles or a monitor?

Thanks for hang in' with me on this

Ihave never used goggles so I cannot speak personally to that experience but I think the breakdown is like this:

If you're looking for an immersive flight experience then you want goggles, since it will feel more like you're sitting in the Phantom. (good) goggles are also significantly more expensive I think.

a display/monitor is fine if you just want to see what the GoPro sees, a bit for knowing where you're flying but mainly for knowing precisely where the camera is pointed so you can frame your shots and know exactly what it's recording.

With a display it's also easier to transition from "FPV flight" where you're flying by the screen, to "LOS flight" where you're actually looking at the Phantom, for example when you're coming in to catch/land. If you have a screen, all you have to do is look up at the Phantom. If you have goggles you may have to remove them or switch to the front-facing goggle camera that some of them have

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.