Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Curious about vacation filming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by d4ddyo, May 13, 2014.

1. d4ddyo

I'm curious... Does anyone take their phantom on vacation with them and take several shots and powering down and up from a single battery?

2. IrishSights

Sure, if they are short flights. I just keep a close eye on the IOSD mini battery telemetry

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

3. d4ddyo

Yep. How much flight time do you think you lose and when do you usually stop using the battery.

4. IrishSights

I usually run them to about 45%-50%. However I have got over engrossed and ran much lower ;) as you do!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

5. ElGuano

My Phantom with accessories is pretty heavy in its case. If I take it with me somewhere, I try hard to make sure I can get at least a couple of good flights in, and so it's worth the investment for multiple batteries.

One 15-minute flight feels really long to me. But three 5-minute flights each feel extremely short, I'd personally feel pressured and short-changed if I had to rely on a single battery for a multi-flight vacation.

I think someone did a test and determined that an unarmed Phantom is drawing ~500-600mw (don't quote me on that). Not a huge amount, but fairly significant. You wouldn't want to keep it plugged in for hours on end.

6. d4ddyo

Exactly. I was thinking... i'm going on a trip... where I will be on my feet... usual tourist stuff self guided. so I can imagine... turning on Phantom... Do a compass calibration first time only with first battery. wait for GPS lock... fly a few minutes until i get some footage from different angles... land and power down and repeat until 20%... replace battery and start all over again.

Just trying to understand how everyone gets such good videos with rest footage at parks and tourist attractions etc.

7. IrishSights

Get an inverter for the car, go have a drink then fly some more, works for me. Helps my wife feel less abandoned when on hols!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

8. Buk

Buk

One my first road trip with a Phantom, I took two cases; one for the Phantom 1 with six batteries and a charger and a second case for the GoPros, batteries and chargers. Each night recharged everything. Traveling in a medium sized SUV with three friends I took a bunch of grief about excess baggage, but each night I hooked the GoPros to the TV and they cut me some slack after viewing the raw footage.

They did draw the line at wearing a GoPro on my head...not allowed.
    :)

9. d4ddyo

nice! How many GoPros do you have?

10. Buk

Buk

Three Hero3 black editions with battery back packs for each, plus a couple of USB battery packs. Saved space by not taking the head strap for the GoPros.
    :D

11. Ozzyguy

What are you a drug dealer or something :D

12. Buk

Buk

Ignore the awkward silence while I think of a come back.

Oh no, you found me out. Please don't tell my mom...
    One GoPro for each hand....
    I'm still short one GoPro. Dash cams: front, rear, side, side....
    I'd bought more GoPros, but they ran out....
    There are no drug dealers in Iowa, USA. The police arrest anyone wearing a GoPro on their head...

(humor intended, thread hijacking over now...)
    :(

13. d4ddyo

Hahahaha. So you saved one pocket or the too of your head.

14. Ozzyguy

My plan for when i go away is to take my charger and all three batteries. If i go to the trouble of taking off I will film as much footage as possible. You would be amazed how many unplanned shots work out really well!