Curiosity question - why two attitude modes?

Suwaneeguy said:
Can someone please explain what the differences are between the two modes?

One's a good attitude... the other is a grumpy one.... LOL I don't know... I am curious too (other than the switch has three positions) :lol:

Honestly ?
They are both the same........
Ready to be configured to the modes of your choice in the assistant.

The bottom S1 switch position is, by default, the same as the middle position, but using the Phantom Assistant software you can reconfigure it to be either "Failsafe" (ie trigger a "return to home and autoland"), which is moderately dangerous, or "Manual", which is very, VERY dangerous if you haven't flown conventional RC helis.

Hence, for safety, by default it simply duplicates the middle switch position.

If you are talking about setting up ATTI vs GPS.

Well just for one it give you the option to drift with the wind in ATTI mode where the GPS is not always trying to correct. Can make for some very smooth filming if you get upwind and drift back.

It flies the same except the satellites are not always trying to keep in in position.

Also in the event of GPS mode going crazy you always have option to switch to ATTI and fly it yourself.

GPS ATTI mode (switch S1 in full up position) uses GPS to assist in lateral positioning/stabilization, compass to stabilize orientation, and barometer to stabilize altitude.

ATTI mode (switch S1 in middle position) just uses compass to stabilize orientation, and barometer to stabilize altitude (no GPS or lateral stabilization... so your Phantom will drift with the wind)

And, of course, MANUAL mode (switch S1 in full down position, if so configured*)... all bets are off... no stabilization of any kind is active ;)

This is assuming that you've configured your Phantom into NAZA mode, and have a good GPS lock at take-off (otherwise the default mode is simple ATTI).

(* adding to the confusion, full down on the S1 switch can also be configured to be "Failsafe" mode, instead of Manual, in which your Phantom will attempt a Return to Home manuever... similar to if you can turned the controller off)

I interpreted the OP's question to mean "why does S1 have ATTI in both its middle and bottom position", while others have taken it to mean "what is the difference between GPS and ATTI". Perhaps the OP can clarify what he was actually asking?

Good point, Harry. Lots on interpretation in this one.
Might also help to know what platform the OP is flying, as well as whether they're configured into Phantom/Vision mode or NAZA mode.

RTH is fine if used properly, but there can be two issues with it:

1. If you take off without a GPS lock you can end up with a pretty random home point, which could result in a fly-away if RTH is activated.

2. As you mention, there may be high obstacles (buildings or trees) on the straight line between the quad and you.

Because of these factors, I think personally it's safer to require a positive action, such as switching off the Tx, to trigger RTH, rather than flipping a switch, which could easily be done accidentally.

dirkclod said:
Why would you think RTH is moderately dangerous ?

Well... if you're playing the part of a new pilot, just pulling a Phantom out of the box, and you had options of what modes were configured to be on the different positions of S1, Failsafe would not be a great choice because you'd have no idea what was going on if you inadvertently switched to it.

I think that's the point. For someone who has little to no experience, the only clear choices for DJI to put on S1 were GPS ATTI and ATTI... leaving the bottom position for, well, ATTI again... since the other two choices - Failsafe and Manual - are both somewhat dangerous modes to suddenly find yourself in if you don't know what's going on.

I don't think anyone is saying RTH is inherently dangerous... if you're fully aware of what it is and how it works. But for someone who's new to a Phantom and possibly hasn't even read the manual, you wouldn't want it on the switch by default.

Thanks for the replies.
So perhaps what they should do is to call one of the "atti" modes, "manual".
I generally fly in GPS mode.

Well... no... that would confuse it with the "real" Manual. ;)

Out of the box, there is no difference between the middle position ATTI, and the lowest position ATTI... they're the same thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4