Cumbria/South Lakes next week - anyone in the area?

Reaction score
I'm spending a week in southern Cumbria next week - just me and my P2 :) - and would love to meet up with any local fliers to find good scenic places to fly. I'm there from Sat 30th Aug to Sat 6th Sep. Do get in touch if you'd like to meet up!

oh poo, I've just got back from Windermere, I was surprised to get good gps signal as Cumbria lake district adding good for signal of any your full stop, I did a little bit of filming at the river leven just as it starts from Windermere lake, it's at the park there, think it's fell foot park, where you thinking of filming?

I've absolutely no idea :). Any and all suggestions are very welcome! I'm mobile, so can go anywhere within reason. I'm actually staying in Sedbergh, which is technically in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, but right at the boundary with the Lake District NP.

Very true, but I'm really looking for places that are reasonably accessible. My hard case is extremely heavy, and not really suitable for hauling up mountains. So pretty places with decent car parks are what I'm after :).

Derwentwater is nice because it is dotted with islands you could possibly fly out to - but parking on the Keswick side is difficult.
You might go up the Watendlath road and stop near that much photographed little bridge, with it's view over the lake.
There's a big cliff towards the lake just a few yards away would be nice to fly out over, but a lot of trees around.

The eastern end of Buttermere you can park close to a scenic lakeside spot with pine trees by the water.
Wastwater is quite a way round by road but far quieter as a result with plenty of quiet parking spots you can pull off the road.

Ullswater and Windermere are kind of difficult to stop anywhere close to the water.
The volume of traffic and visitors has been so high for so long you tend to be funnelled away from where 'everyone' would like to park.

At least the crowds will be subsiding now so even some of the busier spots will seem less risky.
Weather sounds quite good again after a damp windy day or two coming up.

Thanks, 4wd - extremely helpful advice. Yes, I'm hoping it'll be reasonably quiet next week, because I think the schools start then, so fewer families around. Flying or not, I know I'll enjoy it - I spend a lot of time walking in the Lakeland Fells, and it's one of my favourite parts of the country.

My request to meet up with anyone in the area is still open: I've never flown my Phantom with anyone, and would love to do so.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll have a great time even if I don't meet anyone else :). I'll still (hopefully) have Internet access while I'm away, so if anyone does want to meet up, please either post here or PM me any time during the next week.

Thanks for the tips, 4wd. I found the area by the lake at the end of Buttermere, and did my first flying over water there - scary! :) Also been doing some nice flying from lay-bys on quiet side-roads. The sheep don't seem bothered in the slightest by the noise of the Phantom - guess they're used to traffic noise.

Still got another 4 days here, so hope to do some more good flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.