CT phantom owners Check in here.. Meets/tech support/ events

Greetings fellow (drone) pilots,

Just another Phantom 3A owner in Connecticut. Like most of us, just trying to find a legal and interesting place to take video of interesting things. D.E.E.P. keeps telling informing me that places are either restricted, wildlife refuge, or just in general "Not property owned by me".

So, if nothing else I come to commiserate with fellow CT drone owners. ;)

I find that us CT flyers keep our spots pretty close to the vest. I regularly hit up four places, but as the weather is getting better there are more people invading my spots! :grimacing:

Nice what accessories or mods you get for the standard?? I havent had issues with state parks..yet...

Grabbed an extra battery, a camera strap for the RC, then 'strong arm plates', lens cover/camera lock, and CF camera guard from UAV Bits. It's funny I haven't even gotten the P3S yet and I'm all wrapped up over how I should have gotten a P3A. But... it takes it from a "around $500" deal to a "around a grand" deal. I just have a nasty habit of picking up a new hobby and immediately needing to know everything about it and getting all the BEST stuff lol. Need to give the P3S a shot and decide down the road if I want to upgrade.

Nice! The 818 was my first quad too. I actually charged it up and flew it this past weekend. I'm amazed at how easy it is to fly compared to when I first got it. Skills take some time.
State parks are no fly zones, but certain state run places will let you fly. DEEP runs the lake Lillinonah boat launch, but I flew from there without incident. Use common sense. I've found places that if you fly on a weekday evening everyone is interested and cool. Come back on a weekend and you'll be accosted before your done setting up.

Yeah I was so impressed by it for the money. My Grandfather is a huge huge RC plane guy so I've gotten a little RC helicopter as a 'fun' christmas gift for the past ten years. Have been amazed at watching them progress year to year and how much better they got. This year was the first quad and it took some getting used to. Now I can whip it around really well, tight figure 8's, banked turns, wrapping around trees etc. It's also super durable. I've knocked it pretty hard and dunked it in my pond with no consequences.

Actually if it didn't have a camera I'd probably be content just buzzing that around (have like half a dozen batteries for it now), but once I started taking aerial video of my house and property I was so hooked. Once I started seeing things from the air it was just too cool, I made the mistake of watching the quality of videos coming from the Phantoms and it was all over, HAD to have one!

Your going to want an antenna mod very soon..when you get to that point let me know!

Your going to want an antenna mod very soon..when you get to that point let me know!

I kinda figured. The itelite and a GPS tracker are already on my 'want' list. It was all the antenna mod threads and getting spun around with all the different methods that made me start kicking myself for not getting the P3A. Then again I've done a whole stand alone engine management on my car so not averse to some tinkering.

Here's my painfully amateurish round-the-house video that got me the bug to get a better unit. I've got a pretty good place to practice right in front of the house, provided I avoid the trees, stream and pond!

Ive flown at a bunch of places without issues yet..what part of ct are you in and where have you tried to fly??

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in Shelton, and I've flown at (if this isn't admissible as evidence) Sherwood Island State Park, Indian Well State Park, Hemlock Reservoir and by the Housatonic river. I try to avoid people and just do water and trees and such. I don't buzz people or crowds, as you know I make less noise than a weed whacker and try to get into the air high enough that it won't bother anyone.

AND in my defense once told it's not allowed, I have not flown these places again.

It's amazing the near violent prejudice against drones where other people are involved. (Yet a speedboat or personal watercraft seems it can make much more noise).

BTW: Anybody notice BJ's warehouse now sells the DJI Phantom 3 Standard for $499?

Last edited:
I've flown at a bunch of places without issues yet..what part of ct are you in and where have you tried to fly??

I'm in Shelton, and have tried state parks, and a couple of lakes (Mainly to stay away from people. )

I agree DrBrian722 it seems best to avoid DEEP to fly unopposed. ;)

I'm sure this "All drones are bad/perverts/privacy invasion" mentality will die down one the Fed and States agree on a common procedure for them. Too many people buy them, and it's only growing.

Last edited:
Is this thread still active? I'm in the east Hartford area for work. looking for fellow flyers

I am in Bristol, would enjoy meeting but my bird is grounded for at least another week. Had a mishap and trying to replace the shell and motors myself.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I don't know any good place in Htfd. to fly,if there is any besides it is too crowded.

I've flown in Wickham park before! its got a nice view of Hartford too. anyone doing meet ups still?

Don't know who's in Norwalk but I'm in Norwalk, CT. I'm new to flying so looking to build my skills. I'm sure I'll be practicing somewhere nice and open. If anybody has any suggestions about where to fly here please let me know. I'd thought of the 'dog-park' near the beach as an option? Pretty open early in the morning. No folks, trees, electric cables etc...I'm trying to be very cautious.

Don't know who's in Norwalk but I'm in Norwalk, CT. I'm new to flying so looking to build my skills. I'm sure I'll be practicing somewhere nice and open. If anybody has any suggestions about where to fly here please let me know. I'd thought of the 'dog-park' near the beach as an option? Pretty open early in the morning. No folks, trees, electric cables etc...I'm trying to be very cautious.

if you were closer id meet up! seems like nobody is into meeting anymore :( what are you flying?

if you were closer id meet up! seems like nobody is into meeting anymore :( what are you flying?

I they just talk, I set up dates for meets a few times, no respond or no show, so I gave up. Right now I am flying with 2 guys, one in Farmington, another in Hebron. We are retirees so we pretty much fly any time, most are during weekdays ( most people work ).

I they just talk, I set up dates for meets a few times, no respond or no show, so I gave up. Right now I am flying with 2 guys, one in Farmington, another in Hebron. We are retirees so we pretty much fly any time, most are during weekdays ( most people work ).

oh nice. I'm not retired yet.. :) I intend to fly on the weekends and days off which is pretty much whatever I want.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4