CSC Safety - Makes it impossible to accidentally kill your motors in the air

Like having a handbrake in a car.... Use only when stopped...
I use my handbrake while driving, it's a very fast way to turn the vehicle around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would you [also] use 100% Pitch (back) & 100% Roll (left) commands as well as 100% Rudder (right), or the 'other' combo, during a descent?

As said many times, even in this thread, descending in a tight reverse spiral to avoid vortex ring comes very close to the CSC position.
It's always good to have either forward or backward motion while descending as it keeps you from descending through your own broken air, if space is tight it's quite common to do so in a spiral. Generally it's a forward spiral, but no reason it can't be in reverse. It's foreseeable ... unlikely perhaps, but not a totally impossible manoeuvre to do, and therefore still worth having a safeguard against accidental use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: hms
Having a safety on that function seems to make all the sense in the world! If you look at manned aircraft, they ALL have some way of shutting the engines off in flight, BUT they also have a safety cover over it. Not exactly the switch you want to hit by mistake! I wonder what percentage of "drop from the sky" accidents with the Phantom are actually (accidentally) commanded CSC?
I've been thinking of designing a similar safety cover for the power button on my car (Chevy Volt). You do have to hold it in for a couple of seconds to turn the motor off on the freeway, BUT it's next to a button that I actually do push wile driving. Haven't shut the car off while moving (or even come close), but certainly something I think about.

What if you had to push 4 buttons at the same time?

Would they all need covers?

Software fix should be easy. If you use the left stick down on its own it only does it when near the ground. Never in the air. So why not put that logic with the csc? Or take out csc totally. Auto take off and full left stick down to shut off.

Comment: Even the Space Shuttle had a switch cover on the Emergency ET Separation switch.
Question: I get the idea of what CSC means but what do the letters actually stand for? Curiosity: I probably spend more than $3 a week charging my batteries :), so I just paid for one of these just so I can play with it.

I've been thinking of designing a similar safety cover for the power button on my car (Chevy Volt).

Please tell me you're not driving in Florida.

Also.. is it better to turn off wi-fi and Bluetooth on smart device when flying? To help minimize screen freeze?

because phantomhelp doesn't ship to Europe phantomhelp's shipping to Europe costs too much for me and I wanted to have this kind of safety too, I created it for myself
the basic idea is that I never need 100 % yaw input, so I decided I won't allow my left stick to go to maximum right & left position
all I needed was piece of 1 mm metal plate, I drilled 4 mm hole into it, cut it off, bent it into U-shape and covered it with white sticker and adhesive tape
with the help of pen spring, safety is fixed in position and I can rotate it 90 degrees to start the engine

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
I would like one of these, would rather have the option to avoid a costly mistake, great idea.
I am in UK and due to move house in 2 weeks....is delivery likely to be within that time?

I am in UK and due to move house in 2 weeks....is delivery likely to be within that time?
Shipping to the UK normally takes about 5-6 business days.

You unscrew the top two pieces of the right stick, remove them, slide the CSC Safety onto the stick, and screw the top pieces back on.

I'm new to all this, but I have spent some considerable amount of time reviewing these forums. Two things seem pretty clear:

1. CSCs cause a substantial number of dangerous and expensive crashes;
2. Using CSC in a true emergency is so exceptionally rare as to be nearly inconsequential.

Isn't it pretty obvious that when a "safety" device causes more crashes and, therefore, risk of damage and injury, than it prevents, it ceases to be a safety device.?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik