CSC Safety - Makes it impossible to accidentally kill your motors in the air

CSC is there for a reason. Being fearful of CSC is like wondering why you flipped your car over when you suddenly turned the wheel all the way to one side while going 75MPH.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
ianwood, worst case scenario -- nobody will want this and I won't have to print them, pack them, ship them, and repeat. There are no losers here either way :)

Hmmm... a 'product' to defeat safety features?

Being that the probability of accidentally doing a CSC is greater than the "need" to do one, and out of appreciation for the efforts of the OP to offer this as an OPTION at minimal cost, and to encourage (rather than crap on) future innovators, I will pay the $3 (about 1/2 of what I pay for a good pint of IPA) and order it.

Oh, and thanks for stepping up to provide something that some users will value.

Hmmm... a 'product' to defeat safety features?
When is the last time you had to do a CSC in the air? Assuming your answer is never, then please explain exactly what this product is defeating?

From Wiki:

A kill switch, also known as an emergency stop or e-stop, is a safety mechanism used to shut off a device in an emergency situation in which it cannot be shut down in the usual manner. Unlike a normal shut-down switch/procedure, which shuts down all systems in an orderly fashion and turns the machine off without damaging it, a kill switch is designed and configured to a) completely and as quickly as possible abort the operation, even if this damages equipment and b) be operable in a manner that is quick, simple (so that even a panicking operator with impaired executive function can activate it), and, usually, c) be obvious even to an untrained operator or a bystander. Many kill switches feature a removable barrier or other protection against accidental activation (e.g., a plastic cover that must be lifted or glass that must be broken).

Kill switches are featured especially often as part of mechanisms whose normal operation or foreseeable misuse may cause injury or death; designers who include such switches consider damage to or destruction of the mechanism to be an acceptable cost of preventing that injury or death.

From Wiki:

A kill switch, also known as an emergency stop or e-stop, is a safety mechanism used to shut off a device in an emergency situation in which it cannot be shut down in the usual manner. Unlike a normal shut-down switch/procedure, which shuts down all systems in an orderly fashion and turns the machine off without damaging it, a kill switch is designed and configured to a) completely and as quickly as possible abort the operation, even if this damages equipment and b) be operable in a manner that is quick, simple (so that even a panicking operator with impaired executive function can activate it), and, usually, c) be obvious even to an untrained operator or a bystander. Many kill switches feature a removable barrier or other protection against accidental activation (e.g., a plastic cover that must be lifted or glass that must be broken).

Kill switches are featured especially often as part of mechanisms whose normal operation or foreseeable misuse may cause injury or death; designers who include such switches consider damage to or destruction of the mechanism to be an acceptable cost of preventing that injury or death.

It says right in your wiki qoute a barrier or cover is used on many kill switches to prevent accidental activation. Isnt the op's device similar to that? I think it is a nice invention and I will probably order one.

I can't help there's a panicked audience out there.

The CSC 'maneuver' itself prevents accidental activation.

If you find yourself in that combination you are not flying anything, are already panicked, and have no control of your craft so immediate shut-down is a good thing.

Reactions: Dronason
Reactions: GunnyPapa
Go for it man.
I'm all for capitalism.

A fool and his money....

Reactions: louforgiveno
Reactions: hms
This is a fools' product.

Do you expect everyone to endorse your product(s) or idea(s)?

Do you expect everyone to endorse your product(s) or idea(s)?
No. Nor do I expect people to come here and trash my thread. You've already proven that kill switches often have a "removable barrier" -- so, now you're even contradicting yourself. If you're not interested in this product, then please move on.

I bet if we had more women in this forum, we would not get that many ego-driven posts.
OP invented a gadget. You like it - get it. You don't like it, don't get it.

I think everyone here is educated enough to understand what are the trade-offs using this gadget, which is why I am baffled that this generated 2 pages of responses....

What's next?
Duel.jpg

I think it's a good thing for sure and the harassment seems shortsighted. If you fly out in the open away from people and have prop guards I can't think of a situation where you would need to do the csc. Like the OP mentioned, I let my 20 yo son fly and my friends sometimes and it makes me nervous that they might spazz out and do it by accident and they wouldn't know to use it if it tipped over and was diggin in the ground or got caught in some ladies hairdoo or whatever anyway.
Good idea.

Reactions: hms and AlmostTan
The first product from Phantom Help has been officially released -- the "CSC Fix". It's a small 3D printed block that attaches to the right remote controller stick (or left if you switched your sticks) to prevent from accidentally doing a CSC while flying. Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 29423

The block can be swiveled 90 degrees to allow the stick to be pushed in the full down position. So, you can still start up your motors -- or do a CSC while flying if you really need to.

I'm giving this away for free. All I'm asking is for $3.00 to help cover the packaging and shipping. I can ship anywhere in the US.

Want one? Go here:
CSC Fix - Phantom Help

Why not... Ordered

Oh my God, I'm so over the bs that goes on here at times. You don't like his idea, leave one comment, move on.

Avoiding VRS by descending in a tight spiral is a good and acceptable manoeuvre for any pilot. Doing one backwards puts you a gnat's knob away from a mid-flight CSC without being panicked or out of control, therefore the CSC does not have sufficient safeguards to prevent an accidental activation, and therefore this guys idea is perfectly valid, and pretty damned decent to offer it so cheap. You don't like it, don't buy it

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew there would be fireworks. The more experienced pilots tend to think the shut off CSC is perfect as designed. The newer pilots tend to think that it makes no sense that the shutoff CSC is designed so that the same sticks they use to fly can also accidentally cause a catastrophic crash.

I can see both points of view for sure, but I personally like the option of having a "removable barrier" (so to speak) over the kill switch. I'll be ordering one with thanks to @msinger.

Last edited:
Reactions: hms
All orders from today are packed up and ready to ship out tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.