Critique my first "produced" video

Reaction score
Final video from this weekend's trip to the Sand Hollow Championship Course in southern Utah

http://youtu.be/z-v_zQ0f-po

Let me know your thoughts.

The music is original from an album I produced with two friends many years ago.

The setup is a Phantom 1 with Arris CM3000 3-axis gimbal and GoPro 3 Black. No FPV.

To open I need to ask a couple of questions. What do you want your audience to feel or learn from the video? If you were to dissect the video - what parts of the imagery satisfy the purpose of the video?

You have good basic imagery there. To discuss some of the items to improve on in the shot execution itself - the pans are much too fast. They are out of pace with the speed of the tracking shots. If you are going to have smooth flowing forward motion your pans must be complimentary in speed to those. The perceived pace of the overall video itself is pretty slow.

I like that the 3 axis gimbal does a good job, but I'm not really too sure what I was looking at. It was a handful of clips from high up at the landscape. Not bad but I sort of fast forwarded just because I was looking for the action. I see a lot of those types of shots in BBC and Discovery channel nature shows like "Blue Planet" but they usually speed the video up of splice it in with other footage. I guess I just feel like each cut was a little too long. If it was some sort of amazing place like a massive waterfall or a 150 foot tall tree in the rain forest, that would be neat. But a golf course in the desert was a little dry. Pun intended.

That was the basis for asking the question at the top of my post about what the purpose of the video was. It is a collage of images but there is no story.

My eyes just didn't know what to look for. I was thinking "wait for it, wait for it" but IT never came.

If you look at the videos on DJI's page, they all have some focal point. http://www.dji.com/showcase/

Or they are showing locations or places that are in itself pretty amazing. If you were to show someone golfing or something moving (other than the phantom) it would be pretty neat.

Please don't take the comments to suggest the video is horrible. It isn't.

Even for your target demographic you can make a video with the footage you have now and augment it with some ground level stuff and give a better idea of what the golfer is going to encounter on a hole.

That is my point about defining the purpose of the video. If you were to define the purpose what would that be?

What is the story? Is the story how to best play a particular hole? If so show us that. Is the story that you can come out and have a great day of golf with perfect blue skies? If so then shoot some more video that gives us a complete view of the day.

You need to create media that encourages a connection with your audience. If they can picture themselves there "T"ing off then you have done it. The images you have are close. They need some more stuff to tie it together and allow someone to place themselves within the world you are starting to show.

These comments are to help you take it to the next level. Not bash where you are now.

No problem and I'm not feeling bashed or anything. This is the first video I've done of this type and just like anything, one can't expect to be an expert the first time around, especially in such an artistic endeavor.

My goal is to improve my shooting, flying, editing, and content quality. This is part of the process for sure.

My biggest advice is to shoot with a purpose. Know what you are trying to say before you take the camera out of the bag. Have a shooting plan that fits the purpose. Shoot the plan FIRST before going off and shooting something that looks cool. Always think about the edit when you are shooting. Great cinematographers are also editors. Know your frames will cut together before you get into the editing suite.

This is a life long challenge and adventure. We are all students of the craft. Even the masters.

Firstly, a big thank you for not subjecting us to yet another Phantom 'take off' followed by a bit of a wobble before settling down for the real shot.

If I had a love of golf I would probably be glued to the pictures thinking 'what a great fairway' or whatever but like others I was waiting for something to happen.

I watched it on a large iMac screen and, if I am being truly honest, there does seem to be a little bit of virbration that spoils what should be silky smooth. When viewed at the smaller YouTube size this isn't so noticeable. Have you tried any post stabilisation?

Phantasmic said:
Fair Game said:
I watched it on a large iMac screen and, if I am being truly honest, there does seem to be a little bit of virbration that spoils what should be silky smooth. When viewed at the smaller YouTube size this isn't so noticeable. Have you tried any post stabilisation?

Yup. No yaw jitters but noticeable vibration in the bit that I watched.

What were your capture settings? (assuming that the gimbal is well isolated) I assume you were using a naked GoPro with any filters, correct?

Capture is 1080i at 30FPS. Would 60 be better? I've recently encountered some very BAD vibration and I think it is because of the gimbal itself. The whole bird is jiggling hard when gaining altitude.

The gimbal is isolated but I had to rig it up with four of the rubber isolators (photo below). The leg extension rig which I bought with the CM3000 added 1/4 pound and had eight rubber isolators. Perhaps that would be better? The rubber grommets I used for the four were more firm. I have some softer ones. Not sure which would be better.

Now waiting for a set of phantom 2 blades which I hope will help as well.

Thanks for the questions and comments.

DSC_1639-678x1024.jpg

You got some very good advice here, and I agree on all of it.
What I was missing in your video was people! And I could see on the Parking lot that there was people there.
Of course the best way to do it would be to arrange it with some golfers, so they know what you are doing.
Otherwise some great shot.
Also nice music.

Hello...First off I know MediaGuru..I have golfed with him and watched his progress with his aerial photography. I also have played the golf course and it is one of the best in Utah. I too purchased a phantom (p2) and looking to do some golf course videos for a golf site I do. (not competitors to MediaGuru...I live on the opposite side of the USA)

I would like to thank those that chimed in and shared that the video should tell a story. I have shot some golf course videos..a few too embarrassing to share here partially because I did 6-7 years ago and the video quality on youtube is horrible. (shot in standard definition and from the ground)

While the temps are frigid, snow on the ground and no golf courses open I have been story boarding in my head. I like the story concept. For example, to show the viewer the full day experience at the course.

Please critique my thoughts...

I wanted to show the experience of course. Taking the viewer on the experience ride. From driving up, seeing the sign, the clubhouse, view of driving range, a few holes, a few clique golf shots and some type of ending.

1) The Sign (usually the first thing a golfer sees driving up)
Maybe a rising or quick pan of the course sign. This would tell the viewer what they are watching. Also eliminate the need for a lower third intro or intro slide. (still could use one though)

2) The Club house
After arriving the golfer has to go in and pay. So maybe a quick pan or flyover of the clubhouse. I might use a second camera and get some ground shots...Maybe pan the inside of the clubhouse.

3) The Setup...
If I use a ground camera...2-3 seconds of the clubs getting set in cart.

4) The Drive off
Maybe a shot of a cart driving off to range. Have a secondone attached to the side of the cart and 3-4 seconds of driving. Or even a drive over...where you lay a gopro on the ground and the cart drives toward and over. When it goes over and it goes black you have a natural cut over/transition to go to next segment.

5) Flyover of the range
Maybe framing a golfer hitting a shot.

6) Maybe another drive to first hole

7) Flyover of the 2-3 holes. Pick the ones with the most contrast...lots of water, sand, elevation change. I watched the first part of video...the elevation was high. I may fly lower framing in just one hole.

8) Maybe catching a golfer swinging. Then shoot at ground level putting. You could attach a gopro to one of those roller skate looking dollies (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-ROLLER-CA ... 27dded2daf)

Push it towards a hole after a quick shot of a putting stroke. Then put a gopro in the hole and see the ball drop. It will go black and another natural transition.

How cool would that be...you have a go pro simulating the roll to the hole. ((your video has a bird's eye view and a worms eye view))

9) The closing is the hard part....maybe a high shot framing in the whole property. One of my best videos I shot, the course had a sign that said thanks for playing..so it was a great natural ending.

((real quick if I am just going to fly...no ground shots. I would do a segment on sign, clubhouse and a few hole shots))

Now...this would take a lot more time and effort and editing than just doing some flying. I do plan on just doing some flyovers too (trying to create content fast...and now I guess I see the points some people made here some additional though might be needed.)

Another idea...is to do an interview with the pro and ask him/her some questions. Maybe like what is the signature (or best) hole on course and why. Then flyover the hole and match the video to what he is taking about. You can get a high quality recorder fairly inexpensive or if you use a ground camera can capture the audio with it.

Or ask them about the course...and as they talk about it have video to match what they are talking about. (hopefully can cut the audio to tell the story of the course)

I am not a professional video guy...similar to Mediaguru I operate some golf directory/blog sites. Most of the flying I will do is to capture images. The wow factor of elevated shots should really whew my advertising clients. (Trust me 95% of the golf course have terrible photography on their sites)

I would love to do videos but need to work on producing them fairly quickly..within a few hours. Like everyone I want the original content for my site...and allow the course to embed maybe making some $ on adword banners in them.

Any further advice here from the video pros is appreciated.

Brian.

P.S. I bought my Phantom a few weeks ago..got it all rigged up and now waiting for the snow to melt and grass to green. I plan on shooting/practicing at a course when the temps get above 0 degrees.

Brian, you are absolutely on the right track by thinking about what you want the end product to be BEFORE you shoot. Thumbs up!!

I would like you to answer a couple questions if you don't mind.

What do you want your audience to learn from the video?

I would like you to describe your passion for golf using simple words. Distill your thoughts about golf into the fewest words or shortest phrases possible. Choose the top 5 or 6 and list them here.

I absolutely promise you that I'm not asking these questions to put you on the spot or to embarrass you. There is a reason to my madness. :mrgreen:

GREAT ideas Brian. I love the story line ideas. That would be good for the overview or overall "experience" or promo type video a course may want. That's going to depend on their budget.

I also dig the idea of having the pro describe a hole and doing the flyover. It would be cool to have the pro's comments happening as the flyover is showing the features he is talking about.

The couple of courses I've dealt with are asking for hole by hole flyovers, similar to what you might see on a golf broadcast: "Here's the 4th hole, flyover the tee, fairway and finish at the green. There's not a big "story" in hole by hole, other than "here is the hole."

When I shot this video we are discussing there was no story line. I was just trying to capture some footage in a very small window of time (during a frost delay before my tee time hehe). Also for about 20 minutes after my round, between players playing on the holes. SO I didn't have a lot to work with. I also forgot to hit the record button on one run and wasted a battery. That footage would have been equally as stunning on the cliff holes. All that said, the course management contacted me and asked that I come back and do a real, dedicated production.

By the time I go back my rig and skills should be even better. I've edited audio/video for years so that part isn't the most difficult part. It is VERY time consuming however to crunch down the video edits. My 3-4 year old Macs may need to be replaced with some newer and more powerful models so the rendering and exporting takes less time. Yeah, just throw more money at it.

Once again thanks Brian and all.

Wow this post has blossomed into a real discussion on the finer points of getting a great end result. I agree with everything thats been said.

Fantastic to see an shooting plan being discussed also the idea of asking for input. That plan looks great but not everyone is creative so it can be hard to think one up. This way the creatives can chip in with ideas.

Brilliant.

Shrimpfarmer said:
That plan looks great but not everyone is creative so it can be hard to think one up. This way the creatives can chip in with ideas.

Brilliant.

Actually my questions above will address how to jumpstart the creative process. I hope Brian or MediaGuru will answer them.

LandYachtMedia said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
That plan looks great but not everyone is creative so it can be hard to think one up. This way the creatives can chip in with ideas.

Brilliant.

Actually my questions above will address how to jumpstart the creative process. I hope Brian or MediaGuru will answer them.

So do I because I want to see how that works ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers