Critically low voltage

Reaction score
Just done my firmware update to latest and did a Imu calibration when cold. The battery was at about 35 % when finished doing the calibrations so I took off to check for motor vibrations. Soon as I got in the air I got the critical voltage red warning and the motors cut out ( I had my hand lightly on the leg so I stopped it from a crash) the battery level was at 26% so it should have been ok. What do you think the problem was.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1450728534.224761.jpg

I think your battery was too low. It's not a good idea to take off at ~30%. That's a great percentage to consider landing at though.

This has been written about before, sudden motor halt during midflight, with no auto-landing routine as like should have. I've read that DJI knows there is a battery firmware anomaly when taking off with less than a full charge. Apparently birds are falling form the sky in some cases when someone takes off without starting from a full charge. Inspire has the same issue. DJI has released new battery firmware for the Inspire to fix the problem, but it's not the full fix, from what I read. It implied DJI is still working on a solution. So in the meantime, never fly without a full charge, if you value your bird. I believe this is also stated in the manual to always start with a full charge 100%. But regardless, birds should never from the sky just because you take off at 30% (but this is happening). They should auto land at the very least. Someday DJI will have this fixed to operate logically.

Last edited:
I agree with msinger, of course, but may I ask when was the last time you used that battery?
the last time the battery was used was around two weeks ago. i have another battery that had just had a full charge on it so i put this in and did another test and all was fine.(did not see any vibration at a low hover altitude) so NEVER fly with a battery not fully charged, another lesson learnt.

What is becoming apparent just recently is NEVER fly a battery that has begun the partial discharge process without topping it off. These batteries apparently have a firmware bug that allows them to turn off mid-flight.

From what I have gathered, this is an issue with the battery monitoring system not being accurate. A battery showing 30+ % charge should not drop like that. I don't know if DJI can address this in a firmware update but from what I have read, I would not trust what the batteries are telling me and to be on the safe side, charge before every flight.

From what I have gathered, this is an issue with the battery monitoring system not being accurate. A battery showing 30+ % charge should not drop like that. I don't know if DJI can address this in a firmware update but from what I have read, I would not trust what the batteries are telling me and to be on the safe side, charge before every flight.
DJI is not even publically recoginzing that its a bug. Any time on the DJI forums you mention this problem (and there has been some HARDCORE individuals that have isolated this problem) DJI will point you back to the 'How to fly on cold weather' information as well as "Your batteries must be at 100% before you take off".

Reactions: aka1ceman
DJI is not even publically recoginzing that its a bug. Any time on the DJI forums you mention this problem (and there has been some HARDCORE individuals that have isolated this problem) DJI will point you back to the 'How to fly on cold weather' information as well as "Your batteries must be at 100% before you take off".

Agreed. This lack of accuracy in the battery level indicators does lead to a serious false sense of security and should be addressed by DJI, either in a written notification or a firmware update. This little toy cost a pretty penny and to have it fall from altitude and destroy itself like so many have done is totally unacceptable.

Can you imagine buying a new Tesla automobile and it leaving you stranded on the road with a 30% battery charge showing? Not good enough DJI.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Agreed. This lack of accuracy in the battery level indicators does lead to a serious false sense of security and should be addressed by DJI, either in a written notification or a firmware update. This little toy cost a pretty penny and to have it fall from altitude and destroy itself like so many have done is totally unacceptable.

Can you imagine buying a new Tesla automobile and it leaving you stranded on the road with a 30% battery charge showing? Not good enough DJI.

A lot of people are saying that the level of customer service has dropped considerable since they are selling and that is all they are concerned with. To me it is pretty sad that such a beautiful device can only be flow when its hotter than 65 degrees and on a full battery with nothing for miles in sight for it to crash in to.

A lot of people are saying that the level of customer service has dropped considerable since they are selling and that is all they are concerned with.
I think the level of customer service has improved tenfold over the past year. I'm very impressed by what DJI is doing.

I think the level of customer service has improved tenfold over the past year. I'm very impressed by what DJI is doing.
This is positive. It sucks that the DJI forums are overloaded with negative comments on the customer service and lack of transparency. I just hope I never have a need for the customer service. I am actually thinking about selling this drone before I even open it due to the lack of ownership and transparency around this battery voltage problem. I would hate to see 1500 bucks go to waste. Several people have been blown off by DJI as they just said well your battery was below 99% so its your fault. That is very shady business practices IMHO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20