Critical UAV Business Questions

Reaction score
Hey all!

Now that I have passed my 107 and have my LLC. I am finishing up my website and building my portfolio.

I have a few critical questions that I would love to hear your opinions/answers on.. thank you in advance and best wishes to you!

1)
  • How do you take payments?
  • When do they pay?
  • How do I create a receipt?
2)
  • Do your clients sign a contract?
  • What should I include in the contract?
3)
  • Do I keep my water mark on pictures/video I give to my clients?
4)
  • How do you give the customer the final product? (youtube, google drive, etc.)
  • Do you downsize to 1080p for final product or keep @ 4K?
5)
  • Copyright- anything I need to know?
  • Do I keep the rights to the image or should my customers claim it as theirs,
  • Can I still show it of on my portfolio (assuming I give them the rights to the image)
6)
  • Taxation: Since I am selling my drone work as service, not product, I do not have to charge tax in FL?
  • If I sell a canvas print, I have to charge tax?

Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi JDWarren!

Every state has different laws, I'm sure, but:

1) I take payments by check and usually demand full payment upon receipt of the final product/service. As for receipts, you can use an Excel form or an old-school pad and carbon paper.

2) I do not yet have clients sign a contract, though I probably should. However, I mostly shoot real estate and work with reputable agents on job-by-job basis.

3) Absolutely.

4) I use my own YouTube account which the realtors can link to from whatever websites they use. Typically, I upload the edited video in 4k and leave well enough alone.

5) I never really worry about rights since the video is linked to my YouTube channel and contains my watermark

6) I do not know FL law, but yes, you should be selling the service and not the video. As for taxes, I am not sure as FL laws are different from MI laws.

I hope this helps! I am not saying you should follow my example, but what I do works for my small, part-time, side business.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj