Critical low voltage

Reaction score
Been a few years since on here and needing some info on a few things. Been flying the P3 since it first hit the uk now so i am no beginner or novice with hundreads of flying hours under the belt.
The info needed is with the latest firmware does the craft still throw a critical low battery error when using a partially low battery ie 58% after its first flight in cold weather. I am on an old school firmware 1.4.30 and never have a problem with taking of in zero cold weather and flying down to the end. But since changing ipads with a later ios but still the old app matching firmware if i stop flight around say 55% or 60% and then try and take off again it throws me a critical low battery. Old ipad back on old ios and it works no problems every time. (This has been tried many many times)
Wanting to use my newer air 2 and not my old mini i am considering a complete update but wanting to know if this critical low voltage error still occurs when using a partially charged battery in cold conditions.
I know from other members of my flight club after an update around last January time taking of in low temps wont happen, so i know i am going to be faced with warming the battery first if i update. I am just trying to get a feel if it is worth while me doing so or not, given that if i use my old ipad with the old ios firmware i dont need to warm the battery and i can still use a partially charged one to the end. cheers folks

Can't help much, but now we are in winter here in the UK I have had a few frustrated start ups due to low battery warnings, and a refusal to take off. (Yes I know we get reduced flight time, but I like to decide if I want to fly)
I keep my kit in a utility room, and it is often below 15C, yes I am a cheapskate, but have had to relocate to a warmer room.
My 2 penneth stay with what works well for you.
Oh and greetings from the North UK.

Been a few years since on here and needing some info on a few things. Been flying the P3 since it first hit the uk now so i am no beginner or novice with hundreads of flying hours under the belt.
The info needed is with the latest firmware does the craft still throw a critical low battery error when using a partially low battery ie 58% after its first flight in cold weather. I am on an old school firmware 1.4.30 and never have a problem with taking of in zero cold weather and flying down to the end. But since changing ipads with a later ios but still the old app matching firmware if i stop flight around say 55% or 60% and then try and take off again it throws me a critical low battery. Old ipad back on old ios and it works no problems every time. (This has been tried many many times)
Wanting to use my newer air 2 and not my old mini i am considering a complete update but wanting to know if this critical low voltage error still occurs when using a partially charged battery in cold conditions.
I know from other members of my flight club after an update around last January time taking of in low temps wont happen, so i know i am going to be faced with warming the battery first if i update. I am just trying to get a feel if it is worth while me doing so or not, given that if i use my old ipad with the old ios firmware i dont need to warm the battery and i can still use a partially charged one to the end. cheers folks

There are basically two issues:
1. Lipo batteries can't deliver designed current at low temperatures
2. P3 is unable to establish the discharge curve if the batteries were not charged fully when inserted into P3.

DJI has worked on it and modified Battery FW to take care of both the listed issues to avoid sudden loss of the aircraft during mid flight. If motors don't get the right amount of current needed to meet the demand they will stall. If aircraft is not able to judge the right voltage of batteries, it might suddenly get dropped due to insufficient charge. DJI has done improvements in battery FW after 1.4.30 to protect aircraft dropping from air suddenly.

If you don't want to upgrade FW, it's ok, you need to take precautions knowing the limits of batteries. For example during cold conditions, warm the batteries before using them and control the load on it by flying smoothly, not us modes like sport, smooth stops, not very high flying, flying in low to medium winds etc etc

Other aspect to be taken care is to use only fully charged batteries when you start your drone.

If you follow these good practices, you should be good to go with limited risks. I say limited risk cause you are going by your judgements and FW is not helping you.

Best

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dcoski and Digdat0

Lots of members have lost their ACs by launching on a partially charged battery - especially with older firmware. I strongly suggest you discontinue launching with partially charged batteries, and always launch with a fully charged battery even if it's inconvenient.

See my sig.

I'll let somebody else advise you on firmware.

Reactions: Digdat0
There are basically two issues:
1. Lipo batteries can't deliver designed current at low temperatures
2. P3 is unable to establish the discharge curve if the batteries were not charged fully when inserted into P3.

DJI has worked on it and modified Battery FW to take care of both the listed issues to avoid sudden loss of the aircraft during mid flight. If motors don't get the right amount of current needed to meet the demand they will stall. If aircraft is not able to judge the right voltage of batteries, it might suddenly get dropped due to insufficient charge. DJI has done improvements in battery FW after 1.4.30 to protect aircraft dropping from air suddenly.

If you don't want to upgrade FW, it's ok, you need to take precautions knowing the limits of batteries. For example during cold conditions, warm the batteries before using them and control the load on it by flying smoothly, not us modes like sport, smooth stops, not very high flying, flying in low to medium winds etc etc

Other aspect to be taken care is to use only fully charged batteries when you start your drone.

If you follow these good practices, you should be good to go with limited risks. I say limited risk cause you are going by your judgements and FW is not helping you.

Best

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Abracadabra: Thanks. Your #2 explains more than 2378 idiotic dire warnings here on the forum advising to never, ever, under no circumstancies ever try to even power up your drone without just taking the battery off the charger. So many of these guys who post here as though they are experts, seem to believe that there is a gremlin which causes any Phantom powered up with less than 100.00% battery showing will immediately attempt to fly back to China. Nice to have a technical reason for a change. IE: If you read something on a "forum" that doesn't make sense, it probably doesn't Make Sense. :)

So basically im looking at the fact that the latest firmware does not help this issue with even the possibility of stall in stead of auto land ect. Think i will use the old ipad with the older ios that matches everything for the cold winter flights and taking of with a partially charged battery, and use the bigger air 2 with later ios when things warm up a bit. Cheers guys

Can't help much, but now we are in winter here in the UK I have had a few frustrated start ups due to low battery warnings, and a refusal to take off. (Yes I know we get reduced flight time, but I like to decide if I want to fly)
I keep my kit in a utility room, and it is often below 15C, yes I am a cheapskate, but have had to relocate to a warmer room.
My 2 penneth stay with what works well for you.
Oh and greetings from the North UK.

hello and greetings from Lancashire UK. cheers

Abracadabra: Thanks. Your #2 explains more than 2378 idiotic dire warnings here on the forum advising to never, ever, under no circumstancies ever try to even power up your drone without just taking the battery off the charger. So many of these guys who post here as though they are experts, seem to believe that there is a gremlin which causes any Phantom powered up with less than 100.00% battery showing will immediately attempt to fly back to China. Nice to have a technical reason for a change. IE: If you read something on a "forum" that doesn't make sense, it probably doesn't Make Sense. :)

Everybody is trying to help you. Each person comes from a different point of view or perspective and varied sorts of experiences. You should be happy there are so many people trying to help you. And, usually on this forum, you get an answer and maybe some help too. We're not all experts, but what helped me may help you. Happy flying. :)

If the lipo is colder than 15C you can't start the motors to take-off, on the more recent FW and I use a handwarmer in my rucksack - but taking off wth 75% or 50% charge is not a problem as long as you're careful!

No on older firmware you can arm even at low temps and fly fine even with a partially charged battery, all these problems came after later firmware updates and later ios updates about november 2015. I dont have a problem i can just fly with my old mini at low temps even with a partially charged, i was just wondering if later firmwares had sorted this old problem thats all. Think some are going of topic a bit with this one.

Has anyone ever thought to cover the vent holes/slots for the battery in super cold conditions? Yes I know you should never cover these up and they cool the electronics as well, but there are still all the other cooling ports on the arms, the ones near the battery compartment on the underside of the drone looks to be only for the battery.. I wonder if you were to put some tape over them, obviously making sure you keep an eye on battery temps, what would happen.. Cuz I mean yes you can warm a battery slightly before use so that it will allow you to fly, but as mentioned above , if the battery gets too cold during flight you can loose Amps/power to your motors and they can stall.

So I feel like covering up these cooling slots (only the slots for the battery cooling) and only in super cold conditions like freezing temps and below that this could help both warm the battery up quicker during flight as well as keep the battery nice and warm firing flight so that power loss to the motors isn't a worry.. And as long as you keep an eye on your batt temp to make sure it's not overhearing, I don't see why this wouldn't work very well. Also the phantom seems to warm up quite fast, so keeping those battery vents closed say if you had a cold batt to start and it wouldn't allow you to fly.. The heat from the drone it's self could basically be your battery warmer and with those holes plugged up the warm air from the electrics will there for warm your battery up faster before flight allowing you to not wait so long..

I personally have not dealt with this issue yet only having my drone for the better part of the summer. Which firmware upgrade is it that stops you from flying when cold? Just so I know and there for won't update the firmware for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever thought to cover the vent holes/slots for the battery in super cold conditions? ...
You mean on the AC right? Yes, I've thought of it. Haven't done it yet though. I was gonna use 3M tape on the inside because it's really thick and spongy... I think it might grip those vent grates nicely...

I've been heating up my batteries to around 25C-30 C on cold mornings just to give it a head start. But so far the coldest morning has only been 29F for me this winter...

Exactly.. On the aircraft.. The only issue I would have with doing this is if it DOES indeed cool more than just the lipo.. In that case you could easily burn something up computer/sensor wise. But I really really doubt that those vents are for anything other than just the batt for cooling in the summer heat when it flys... It's just like how semi trucks put up those big matts over their grills the the radiator in the winter to help keep some heat in the artic weather.. It's the same concept and if it worked I really do belive it could not only help your battery and drone warm up faster before a flight but will also help the lipo to keep its heat when up in the air and in those fridged temps.. Long as you kept an eye on your batt temp I don't see an issue with it. Maybe I'll be the test dummy this winter. Cuz if it worked it would sure as hell save a lot of headachs!

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Everybody is trying to help you. Each person comes from a different point of view or perspective and varied sorts of experiences. You should be happy there are so many people trying to help you. And, usually on this forum, you get an answer and maybe some help too. We're not all experts, but what helped me may help you. Happy flying. :)
Yeah, about as helpful as when some poor sap writes in to a forum complaining that his car has a serious shake in second gear only, at different speeds, but only second gear. And all these Einsteins write in telling him to balance his wheels.

Reactions: hotashes
Yeah, about as helpful as when some poor sap writes in to a forum complaining that his car has a serious shake in second gear only, at different speeds, but only second gear. And all these Einsteins write in telling him to balance his wheels.

You don't have to respond to each and every person who tries to help you. I'll just remember your name and I will never try to help you cause you evidently don't appreciate it unless it is from the manufacturer, scientist, Aero Dynamics company or someone completely authorized to give you exactly the right answer. Even DJI can't help in every situation. Lighten up!

You don't have to respond to each and every person who tries to help you. I'll just remember your name and I will never try to help you cause you evidently don't appreciate it unless it is from the manufacturer, scientist, Aero Dynamics company or someone completely authorized to give you exactly the right answer. Even DJI can't help in every situation. Lighten up!
Thanks Bud. It is heartening when someone else sees my point. IE: If you don't know what you are talking about just STFU, don't make the person wade through a hundred guesses, they can guess for themselves or they would not be asking.

Some ppl don't realize what they are saying may be bad Information.. I agree that they are just trying to help, it should be ON YOU to decipher what you want to believe or not, if you wanna sit there and believe every single thing that everybody posts, then you are just as stupid as they are..

Get over it, there's gonna be bad information out there. You just gotta learn how to wean through it, pick out the good from the bad, what makes sense to your question in need and what doesn't makes sense.. Don't dog on ppl that are just trying to help, and like somebody said above, lighten up!

PS. There isn't a single forum site out there that doesn't have bad information somewhere or another, so skim though and don't believe everything you read and be appreciative that there are ppl out there that even wanna give a **** about you or your question In the first place.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20