Critical Issue Discovered

Yes this is a logical well thought out approach. It is your Phantom. If you are flying it and a crash occurs that is related to a third party app it is reasonable to assume you are completely on your own or at the mercy of the developer of the third party app. So if you are more adventurous and decide to do that... go for it.

My .02 this isn't about the reliability of any of the 3rd party applications versus DJI GO. This is about flying within the constraints of the warranty. I think it is reasonable to believe that you are more likely to get warranty repairs done if you are flying your AC with DJI software.

Just my .02
Yeah, that was my number one concern - warranty.

UK

That's why I stopped upgrading all together.

I am flying fine at:
P3A: W322 @ 1.04.0010
RC: GL300A @ 1.04.0001
Litchi v2.6.5
Smart man... I wonder if some people would update firmware if new releases were made available every day... No need to update if your craft is flying good.

This is exactly why I love my P2 Vision+ Version 3. There are no longer any software updates to screw anything up. I have had 18 months and 300+ flights worth of use so far. The only issues I ever had was when they "updated" the software. All of the issues finally calmed down and then they stopped updating the software - after they fixed the last of the "bugs". It was time for a new product and so all software "hacks" were ordered to be done on the P3 - good luck.

I got this email a few minutes ago, anyone know this to true across the board?

We discovered a DJI firmware issue that prevents the aircraft from executing Return-to-Home (RTH) on RC signal loss when any third-party app is connected via the SDK. Our testing does show that RTH will activate when the critical battery level is reached (configured in DJI GO), but this may result in the loss of your aircraft if the home location is too distant.

DJI indicated that this issue will be resolved in the next firmware update, but they have not given us a timeline. Until then, we strongly recommend that you do not operate Autopilot (or any third-party app) near the edge of signal range.

We will post updates on our homepage as we receive more information, so remember to check back often.

Thanks
The Autoflight Logic Team
if you Use any other app then D.J.I..GO APP YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARANTY

I would use DJI Go or be forced to upgrade to their latest firmware which enforced GeoFencing. At this point you will be required to unlock your drone every single time you want to use it.

P3P controller range limits | DJI Phantom Forum

It IS a problem when losing RC signal with the drone. Many ways to test this, the simplest being, powering off the RC, while using Autopilot or other 3rd party applications (this should have commanded failsafe RTH, but does NOT!) during a waypoint mission and see what happens, this link P3P controller range limits | DJI Phantom Forum , will tell you what happens. Sticking to DJI GO as the only option is boring, as it is limited, but for some users, the "safe" choice is the sensible one. I just want this fixed, and from my understanding, it's with DJI to do an firmware update! Warranty if the **** hits the fan?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

We discovered a DJI firmware issue that prevents the aircraft from executing Return-to-Home (RTH) on RC signal loss when any third-party app is connected via the SDK. Our testing does show that RTH will activate when the critical battery level is reached (configured in DJI GO), but this may result in the loss of your aircraft if the home location is too distant.

Bill,

I was flying on an automated mission with Litchi just a few days ago with a P3P...flew to the edge of signal range (only 6000 feet or so...I found out that when my phone (Galaxy Note II) is NOT on airplane mode, my range is MUCH shorter)....anyway, the P3 did execute an RTH when signal was lost.

So for me, and with Litchi, the "critical issue" does not seem to apply. But of course I will be very careful until I hear the problem is fixed FOR SURE.

--

Bill

Last edited:
They have since updated their homepage with the following:UPDATE: This affects firmware 1.6, Flight Mode F, and the enableVirtualStickControlModeWithCompletion API. We have not tested older firmware versions. Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Impilot...

Respectfully....who is "they"....(can't tell which post you replied to...thanks...)

--

Bill

Auto flight logic, makers of Autopilot.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Galaxy S5. And it runs Litchi 100% solid as well as every OTHER app I have run on it EXCEPT GO.
I ran GO fine on a Galaxy S4. It ran beautifully. Only reason why I stopped using the S4 was I wanted a bigger screen, so I got a tablet. Not sure why your S5 won't run it well but my S4 did. Very, very odd.

I flew a waypoint mission on Autoflight a couple of weeks ago where the signal connection got squirrelly. At first I thought my speed was programmed too low but when I studied the flight data the signal went extremely low and looked like it lost it a couple of times. It didn't do the RTH but probably hovered for a brief time. Since I could see that the signal was real low, I pointed the transceiver better and it completed the mission. After getting the notice, everything made sense and now no long range Autoflight missions until everything is fixed.

Flying yesterday with Litchi I lost signal because of trees. Indeed RTH initiated as expected and my P3A flew back into range, no problems.

The Autopilot app mentioned when any third party app is "connected via the SDK". My guess is these third party Apps don't utilize (or need to utilize) the SDK during normal flights. If they aren't actually using the SDK then this shouldn't be an issue during a normal flight. After all, some of these third party apps were out prior to the SDK becoming available but when the SDK came out it enabled third party Apps to implement autonomous features. So I am thinking it isn't an issue unless you are using functions that actually use the SDK like orbit, follow, waypoint following, and so on.

Reactions: Jtrjr
So today while using the DJI Go app I was flying about 2000 ft away (max distance around 3000 ft in my area) when I turned to head back home and then the DJI app crashed (First time this has happened). Obviously the signal is lost but when I tried to restart the app.. nothing. Complete silence.

At this point I'm waiting for it to come home. Nothing.. can't hear it or see it. Trying to reconnect via the app is becoming a futile endeavor at this point. So I restart the tablet I'm using (Samsung Note 7 inch) and proceed to grab my keys and prepare to head toward the area where the video feed cut. I come back outside start the app and low and behold.. it's hovering in the same spot with 46% battery. I'm on the latest firmware as well.

My question is.. are you sure this only affects 3rd party apps? I expected the bird to come home as RTH is definitely set but it just hovered that whole time.

Reactions: Reed L
My question is.. are you sure this only affects 3rd party apps? I expected the bird to come home as RTH is definitely set but it just hovered that whole time.

Dude,

A couple of issues here. It sounds like DJI Go (the app itself) crashed. That does not mean you lost "control". There are two signals, one for the live stream video and one for the control of the bird. If you knew where the bird was when the app crashed or could see it, you could have probably brought it home without the app running. Secondarily, unless you lose control signal the bird will not automatically RTH just because the app crashed. You would have to initiate an RTH with the button or by turning the power off on the RC. Also, if your app crashes pull the USB cable from the bottom of the RC and plug it back in, then restart the app. There are other variances at play here but I'm not going to go into them all in this post. You should go back and familiarize yourself with how to initiate an RTH. JMHO's, others may have a different understanding or opinion.

Jerry

Dude,

A couple of issues here. It sounds like DJI Go (the app itself) crashed. That does not mean you lost "control". There are two signals, one for the live stream video and one for the control of the bird. If you knew where the bird was when the app crashed or could see it, you could have probably brought it home without the app running. Secondarily, unless you lose control signal the bird will not automatically RTH just because the app crashed. You would have to initiate an RTH with the button or by turning the power off on the RC. Also, if your app crashes pull the USB cable from the bottom of the RC and plug it back in, then restart the app. There are other variances at play here but I'm not going to go into them all in this post. You should go back and familiarize yourself with how to initiate an RTH. JMHO's, others may have a different understanding or opinion.

Jerry

I'm aware of the RTH button on the remote which was pressed. Obviously since the app was crashed I did not get any confirmation it was returning. Essentially I could not tell if control was there or not. Very possible there was interference for a short period of time. I just figured it should fly home because like I said.. I had no control and when it was finally regained it was still in the same spot.

I had no control and when it was finally regained it was still in the same spot.

Dude,

Look, I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm just trying to help. I read your note a couple of times before I made my last post. Nowhere in your post did you say that you initiated an RTH. Don't worry, I won't try to help any further. Good luck.

Jerry

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Dude,

Look, I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm just trying to help. I read your note a couple of times before I made my last post. Nowhere in your post did you say that you initiated an RTH. Don't worry, I won't try to help any further. Good luck.

Jerry

It's all good man.. I'm not mad. Just a but anxious as I've been flying this thing for a few months and never had a problem like this. Not to mention I just updated to the latest firmware 2 weeks ago and this being my first post here just wanted to know if anyone had the same problem. After reading through the thread though it seems this is unrelated moat likely. Looking at my video it appears there are some high voltage power lines nearby which may have been the culprit.

Bullsnot. I just crashed my bird in Vietnam flying with Litchi. I came home, called DJI and described what happened, including the fact that I was flying with Litchi. They said send it in, they'll read the codes off the cr

Bullsnot. I just returned from a trip to Vietnam where I shot a ton of videos. My bird (P3P) crashed on the last shot. I came home, called DJI and described what happened, including that I was flying with Litchi. They said to send it in and they'll read the codes off the craft and see if it's covered. They sent me an invoice while waiting for the warranty status. It was something like $567 for parts & labor. In the end, they covered the warranty, which is good until the end of May. It was an ESC error while landing they said.

So no, the warranty is not voided if you use a 3rd party app. Of course, it depends on what happened. If you use the DJI Go app or a 3rd party and YOU flew into a building, then I'm pretty sure that won't be covered. If it was a craft error, call them and send it in. No need for fear mongering.

I got this email a few minutes ago, anyone know this to true across the board?

DJI indicated that this issue will be resolved in the next firmware update, but they have not given us a timeline. Until then, we strongly recommend that you do not operate Autopilot (or any third-party app) near the edge of signal range.

We will post updates on our homepage as we receive more information, so remember to check back often.

Thanks
The Autoflight Logic Team
So what your saying if you fly be on line of site you will have problems?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj