Critical Issue Discovered

I have to agree here. Using 3rd party apps is only asking for problems. This thread is a glaring example of that.
Really? For most who want or need to pull of more complex filming sequences the time comes when we either must have or will benefit greatly from apps like autopilot.

Release of the APK by DJI creates opportunity for develooers and the possibility for more capable software.

This is a good thing surely.

Reactions: Monte Olsen
From the Posting below it would appear Litchi is "Affected" in specific "Modes"

10:53 AM. VC Tech
This so-called critical issue only happens when the aircraft is being controlled by an app.
In Litchi's case it only affects the focus and follow modes. In Follow mode a signal loss is relatively unlikely and if it happens in general the operator won't be far and would have time to react. In Focus mode, you would have to be careful but in most use cases signal loss probably isn't a concern.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Fair enough, but your post seemed to be a statement of a very spurious fact. What issue did you have?

From the Posting below it would appear Litchi is "Affected" in specific "Modes"

10:53 AM. VC Tech
This so-called critical issue only happens when the aircraft is being controlled by an app.
In Litchi's case it only affects the focus and follow modes. In Follow mode a signal loss is relatively unlikely and if it happens in general the operator won't be far and would have time to react. In Focus mode, you would have to be careful but in most use cases signal loss probably isn't a concern.
from xardoz's post above: In Litchi's case it only affects the focus and follow modes.

Reposting for emphasis.

Too right. There is NO WAY I would fly a £1500 piece of kit with anything other than the specific app it was designed to be flown with.

Grae,

No disrespect intended, seriously, but this hobby is all about innovation! You are choosing not to be part of that process and that's okay. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the "risks" they are willing to take. I have tried just about every app available for my P2 and P3Pro. Most were not very good. I have alpha and beta tested 4-5 different apps for the P series.

I have been an alpha and beta tester for Litchi since its inception. I'm currently an Android and iOS tester. It is an extremely solid product, in my opinion, the best out there at this point. As with any innovative technically oriented product, issues will arise. When they have arrised with Litchi they have been addressed and remedied almost immediately.

I could never do the kind of flying, and more importantly the pre-planning, with DJI Go that I can with Litchi. I've been using it exclusively for about a year now and I wouldn't trade it for anything else out there. I do favor the Android version but I have complete confidence that the iOS version will be every bit as good in due time.

It should be noted, I have no affiliation with Litchi at all other than being a huge supporter of what they've created and continue to develop.

All just my opinions, of course. Good luck and fly happy and safe!

Jerry

Too right. There is NO WAY I would fly a £1500 piece of kit with anything other than the specific app it was designed to be flown with.

UK
Do you really think DJI Go is more stable than Litchi? (On Android)You must be joking!

Reactions: Apilot101
In many cases, while using a 3rd Party app, if signal is lost, you want the programmed mission to continue, rather than being abandoned, and a failsafe RTH initiated. That is one of the strengths of a preprogrammed autonomous 3rd party waypoint mission, behind a major obstruction, where you know signal will be lost, but the drone keeps flying its mission to completion anyway. So, to some extent, this "bug" is there by design. DJI GO Waypoints must be preflown, which makes it impossible to use them in areas where the signal would be lost, and that imposes a major limitation, which the 3rd Party apps have overcome.

Last edited:
Needs to be a lost signal, not a button press.
Correct, this isn't an RTH BUTTON flaw, purely signal loss issue that supposed to trigger RTH. Another way to test is to use WindSurfer reflectors, go up to about 350 elevation, run the quad North about 1500' (so you can still see with binoculars) and then turn the radio around with windsurfer reflectors facing South. See what happens. Once you lose control of the quad by facing South, it should return home. If not you can quickly turn around and regain a connection. An alternative is to slip behind a concrete building or block wall, that's another good way to hinder signal strength.

I'm curious what the drone does. Does it just hover till battery power runs out when signal is lost, or does it take off somewhere, or does it immediately trigger auto-land with signal loss?

Reactions: Reed L
Well, if I stuck to 1 to 2 minute flights, maybe GO would be an option. But since it freezes after only 2 minutes or so, really not an option for me.
You've got bigger problems than third party software.
I'd figure that out before flying with any software.

I have used Litchi since my P2 days. I only use LItchi to fly. In fact, I have never used DJI Go to fly. I regularly fly long distances, I have never encountered a situation where RC signal loss did not perform an RTH successfully. Just my experience.

I could never do the kind of flying, and more importantly the pre-planning, with DJI Go that I can with Litchi. I've been using it exclusively for about a year now and I wouldn't trade it for anything else out there. I do favor the Android version but I have complete confidence that the iOS version will be every bit as good in due time.

Do you really think DJI Go is more stable than Litchi? (On Android)You must be joking!

Well, gents, that's me told. I stand corrected. A lot of what I read about Litchi referred to issues, and I figured the official DJI app would be the way forward, especially as the Phantom is made by DJI - understandable, right? But I'll look into the Litchi app. I think one of the things that put me off based on what I read was that I got the impression the app is reliant on one person developing it (or a few people, with nowhere near the resources DJI have). I guess I need to revisit this.

UK

UK
Dji is in the business of making drones. Their track record has proven that they are not a software company. This is easily shown by their firmware updates that sometimes cause more problems than it fixes. I have had great success with litchi and several other 3rd party apps.

as the Phantom is made by DJI - understandable, right?
Yes this is a logical well thought out approach. It is your Phantom. If you are flying it and a crash occurs that is related to a third party app it is reasonable to assume you are completely on your own or at the mercy of the developer of the third party app. So if you are more adventurous and decide to do that... go for it.

My .02 this isn't about the reliability of any of the 3rd party applications versus DJI GO. This is about flying within the constraints of the warranty. I think it is reasonable to believe that you are more likely to get warranty repairs done if you are flying your AC with DJI software.

Just my .02

Reactions: Grae
Dji is in the business of making drones. Their track record has proven that they are not a software company. This is easily shown by their firmware updates that sometimes cause more problems than it fixes. I have had great success with litchi and several other 3rd party apps.

I agree.. That said if you are flying on a third party app and it hits a tree because of a software issue. Is it likely that DJI accommodates a warranty repair? I'm thinking no. If you are flying and the AC smacks a tree because of a programming issue that DJI caused will DJI accommodate a warranty repair? I think probably.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik