Critical battery warning set to zero?

Reaction score
I have my critical battery warning set to zero. I fly over water most of the time. If I'm having problems bringing the bird home, or if the battery is really low, I want control over the bird for as long as possible.

Opinions?

Cheers

not a horrible idea, only drawback i see if you have a "fly away" it'll just fall out of the sky , maybe 3-5% will give the time you want and give it atleast time to lower altitude. But in the case of being over water it doesn't matter, it'll be toast either way. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

not a horrible idea, only drawback i see if you have a "fly away" it'll just fall out of the sky , maybe 3-5% will give the time you want and give it atleast time to lower altitude. But in the case of being over water it doesn't matter, it'll be toast either way. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes. I've brought the bird home with 11% battery remaining, and i was comfortable doing so.

Thanks for your reply. Cheers.

Critical battery warning set to zero is pretty pointless as when the alarms goes off its gonna be too late and your bird will fall from the sky.
As you have a low battery warning and a critical warning its best to leave it at around 10 % giving you some time to land. if you don't want auto return to home to activate then just turn it off.
You will still get your warning messages but the bird wont return to home.

Critical battery warning set to zero is pretty pointless as when the alarms goes off its gonna be too late and your bird will fall from the sky.
As you have a low battery warning and a critical warning its best to leave it at around 10 % giving you some time to land. if you don't want auto return to home to activate then just turn it off.
Darren,
I think you may have confused RTH with Auto land. Critical Battery triggers Auto Land. It can't be canceled but you still have some stick control. I hit 10% Critical Battery while still 500' out over water and was able to make it to shore. Left stick full up, steer and pray...lol
I didn't think it could be lowered.

I landed with about 2 or 3% on a distance flight. It started auto landing at 10% a distance away, but I did what Turbomania did to get back safely. Same thing happened on a long Litchi mission, but I made it back...barely.

I know these batteries are "intelligent", but I'm wondering what actually happens at or past 0%. I don't want to test that out with my P4, but I can't imagine just hitting 0% will force a landing with no control input at all.

Reactions: Turbomania
ok fare enough. Thought I read some where that while it was landing you could over ride it. Will have to try it while close by cheers

I landed with about 2 or 3% on a distance flight. It started auto landing at 10% a distance away, but I did what Turbomania did to get back safely. Same thing happened on a long Litchi mission, but I made it back...barely.

I know these batteries are "intelligent", but I'm wondering what actually happens at or past 0%. I don't want to test that out with my P4, but I can't imagine just hitting 0% will force a landing with no control input at all.

Guess you could always try it - maybe after a flight and you have not much battery left then using simulator mode, or just leave the craft powered on the ground (maybe props off in case it goes mental in its' dying moments) and see what past zero percent does. I will point out though that once a cell gets below ~3V then it is very detrimental to the life of the cell so you might want to try it on a 'tired' battery pack so as not to kill a good battery pack. This prospect is why I wont be trying on purpose to go beyond zero percent - although I would imagine that the 'Intelligent' part of the battery will just switch it off hopefully before the cells reach super-critical damage stage.

I get a LO BAT alarm at 30%. Once I get the LO BAT alarm I pay careful attention to remaining battery. If things start getting hairy I'll flip it into ATTI and bring it in that way..

What I don't want is the bird auto-landing in the water, the extra 10% flight time can go a long way.

Cheers

ok fare enough. Thought I read some where that while it was landing you could over ride it. Will have to try it while close by cheers
You probably did. You are kinda overriding the Autoland with the sticks. It just can't be turned off. You have to fight it.
This is easy to test and will not harm your battery.
Near the end of a flight find a good open spot to land, take it up about 20 ft and let it go to 10% battery. It will warn you and go into auto land. Try to fly it, you will see how it behaves.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4