Criminal charges filed against drone operator after close call with LAPD helicopter

I would love to know the real circumstances surrounding this story. I find it hard to believe the pilot was purposely in their way, but I suppose anything is possible.

Reactions: dirkclod
I agree. I do not trust the LAPD's version. However, this should be a lesson to everyone to just stay away from situations like that.

I agree. I do not trust the LAPD's version. However, this should be a lesson to everyone to just stay away from situations like that.
Supposedly the quads video shows he wasn't to close... all hearsay at this point.

Reactions: dirkclod
While they (LAPD, LA District Attorney's Office, etc) haven't released the video to the public...yet...it was stated that video recorded by the drone clearly showed the drone heading directly for the helicopter. Now, if the drone was headed in the same direction as the helicopter, logic tells you there's no way the drone could have caught up with the helicopter. Speed-wise, the only way the drone could have caught up with the helicopter is of the two "vehicles" were headed towards, or at least somewhat towards, each other. If the drone was, at any point, in the area between the helicopter, and where the helicopter was heading (which includes the helicopter in a circling search pattern), then, yes, that would be legally considered "interference".

There have been far too many people flying drones recently...especially here in California...who have interfered with law enforcement & safety (fire, rescue, etc), and it's about time they start paying the consequence. I also ride motorcycles, and I'm a safe rider, but there's a saying I've said for years - "It's the few who give they many a bad name." In other words, it's the idiots out there, flying their drones where they shouldn't be (and in several cases, where it's illegal to do so), that are giving ALL of us...including those of us who always follow the "no fly zone" rules/laws...a bad name, this the very cause of legislation being introduced against the users of drones.

If the "ghetto bird" was doing orbits as they tend to do, the drone could have easily have intercepted it. And unless the LAPD were being totally intolerant, any unintended incursion could have been easily dealt with without arrest.

In my experience, LAPD are pretty cool with respect to drones so I can only assume the drone operator did something to provoke his arrest.

While they (LAPD, LA District Attorney's Office, etc) haven't released the video to the public...yet...it was stated that video recorded by the drone clearly showed the drone heading directly for the helicopter. Now, if the drone was headed in the same direction as the helicopter, logic tells you there's no way the drone could have caught up with the helicopter. Speed-wise, the only way the drone could have caught up with the helicopter is of the two "vehicles" were headed towards, or at least somewhat towards, each other. If the drone was, at any point, in the area between the helicopter, and where the helicopter was heading (which includes the helicopter in a circling search pattern), then, yes, that would be legally considered "interference".

There have been far too many people flying drones recently...especially here in California...who have interfered with law enforcement & safety (fire, rescue, etc), and it's about time they start paying the consequence. I also ride motorcycles, and I'm a safe rider, but there's a saying I've said for years - "It's the few who give they many a bad name." In other words, it's the idiots out there, flying their drones where they shouldn't be (and in several cases, where it's illegal to do so), that are giving ALL of us...including those of us who always follow the "no fly zone" rules/laws...a bad name, this the very cause of legislation being introduced against the users of drones.

While states and cities may draft their own legislation regarding safe operation of UAS's, the FAA still controls the airspaces, so it might be a good idea to educate yourself with the laws that they would prosecute you under. For instance,
  1. 5.12 Remaining Clear of Other Aircraft. A remote PIC has a responsibility to operate the small UA so it remains clear of and yields to all other aircraft. This is traditionally referred to as “see and avoid.” To satisfy this responsibility, the remote PIC must know the location and flight path of his or her small UA at all times. The remote PIC must be aware of other aircraft, persons, and property in the vicinity of the operating area, and maneuver the small UA to avoid a collision, as well as prevent other aircraft from having to take action to avoid the small UA.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj