Creating RTH Failsafe Scenarios

Reaction score
I would like to create a RTH Failsafe scenario on a wide (1km) free of obstacle ground surface. I want to observe the behavior of the aircraft in this situation. To also limit the damages. Anyone hav a suggestion. I'm in the Congo (Brazzaville) Africa region. Thanks

Are you not trusting the RTH? Or are you looking for something specific in this? I did a video of a 2km RTH a few days ago.. worked flawless except it missed home by about 20 feet

Are you not trusting the RTH? Or are you looking for something specific in this? I did a video of a 2km RTH a few days ago.. worked flawless except it missed home by about 20 feet
I want to simulate a out of contact with RC (Failsafe) on a no risk field, to observe the aircraft behavior when the RTH kicks in. So I kind of want to fool the failsafe. Before

I want to simulate a out of contact with RC (Failsafe) on a no risk field, to observe the aircraft behavior when the RTH kicks in. So I kind of want to fool the failsafe. Before
I can maybe put the RC in a car to provoke the RTH and then bring it out to gain control. It really all about testing. But you're right I don't trust it so much. I would like to see with my own eyes what it does. Maybe useless,

Just turn your RC off. Provided you have the RTH set properly, it will come back, and land. I think the exception would be if your still within a certain radius, say 60 ft, I could be wrong on that, but it would just land where it is.

Yes. All you really need to do is an open area maybe 50 yards. Set RTH to go to 20 meters and fly off 50 meters at head level. Shut off the radio. It doesnt NEED to be a huge drawn out process. I do understand the lack of trust though. I was scared to death till I met up with a bunch of guys with drones. Ego kicked in.. I HAD to be at least as good as them!! So off I went.. further than I had ever flown... And I lost video signal!! Gained more altitude and everything was fine. You have to remember that even if you can see the camera feed, you can still control the flight. Once I had video again I hit the RTH and home she came. Now I regularly fly out near 2 km with little to no stress.

Turn the RC off , if it don't start returning home turn it back on. Better yet! just hit your return to home button...... lol

I went through this as well the other day. It's really good to go to an open field and test it ("Yeah, I meant to do that!"), as it builds all sorts of confidence. Such a wonderful feeling to have it in sight, purposely turn the controller off, set it down on the ground and watch the return!. It came back and landed within 20 feet of where it took off. Very, very impressive as I find 20 feet to be well within the range of acceptability for this great product!

Reactions: bobmyers
I went through this as well the other day. It's really good to go to an open field and test it ("Yeah, I meant to do that!"), as it builds all sorts of confidence. Such a wonderful feeling to have it in sight, purposely turn the controller off, set it down on the ground and watch the return!. It came back and landed within 20 feet of where it took off. Very, very impressive as I find 20 feet to be well within the range of acceptability for this great product!
I expected a more precise landing actually. GPS coords are accurate to within inches.. so why the wide miss? Either way, knowing it will simply come home is GREAT!

Download and read the manual to familiarize yourself with how RTH is triggered and when.

Remember, there is no such thing as standard RTH on P3. You get to set how you want RTH to act. Whether you just want it to land when it loses signal, or return to you, and how high up it should go during the return.

Before you try RTH, you need to make sure your satellite count is good and that your home point has been recorded. (At the beginning of the flight, it tells you when the home point is recorded.)

Only then you can test. You can try the RTH button on the radio or turn off the radio or create interference.

Reactions: TomWolves
Thanks everyone for your comments. Very appreciated. All your suggestions are very precious. I feel more confident already. Can't wait to try the function ASAP. A soon as I have some time off from this documentary coverage. Keep posting your suggestions. I never get enough.

I expected a more precise landing actually. GPS coords are accurate to within inches.. so why the wide miss? Either way, knowing it will simply come home is GREAT!

Depends when you triggered RTH. If the phantom is still in the 20m (60ft) of home point, it will NOT shoot up, and it will land in that spot you triggered RTH.
There is also a possibility that RTH is slightly inaccurate to prevent the Phantom landing on your smart device, especially if you have dynamic home point (inspire remotes have built in GPS).

RTH, base on a home point that was the P3Ps initial launch point, being initiated 2km away from an altitude of about 400 feet led to a landing actually right at 24 feet off. That is NOT acceptable. And in no way related to your story.

I expected a more precise landing actually. GPS coords are accurate to within inches.. so why the wide miss?
RTH, base on a home point that was the P3Ps initial launch point, being initiated 2km away from an altitude of about 400 feet led to a landing actually right at 24 feet off. That is NOT acceptable.

That's the limit of the technology.
Bringing your Phantom back so close from 2 km out is a great feature.
But you don't have to let the Phantom land itself.
You can take over and do the landing wherever you want to.

The co-ordinates might go down to that level, but that doesn't mean your GPS can deliver that level of precision.
Play around with a handheld GPS sometime.
Consumer grade GPS with give you approx +/- 2 metres most of the time.
Greater accuracy is achievable - at a cost.
Survey grade GPS costs lots more.

That's the limit of the technology.
Bringing your Phantom back so close from 2 km out is a great feature.
But you don't have to let the Phantom land itself.
You can take over and do the landing wherever you want to.

The co-ordinates might go down to that level, but that doesn't mean your GPS can deliver that level of precision.
Play around with a handheld GPS sometime.
Consumer grade GPS with give you approx +/- 2 metres most of the time.
Greater accuracy is achievable - at a cost.
Survey grade GPS costs lots more.
Im perfectly aware of what GPS capabilities it HAS.. We all see that capability while it hovers flawlessly in a 20 kt wind. Its accuracy is actually tied to RTH altitude, and deviations in location as it descends. If you set a RTH altitude of 10 meters in dead air its near perfect. Same with 100 meters. Add a lot of wind and the accuracy diminishes with altitude. Its NOT a GPS limitation. Its the way it handles the RTH maneuver. Ascend to altitude, navigate to RTH GPS, land. There is no process mid decent to check location.

Reactions: Daniel Voyer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl