Crazy Zenmuse H3-2D (firmware 1.8 guilty?)

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have an issue with a Zenmuse H3-2D. As soon as it gets powered it starts acting crazy. Really crazy.
Basically it starts shaking violently, up and down, for a few seconds. After a few seconds, it calms down then it does it again. There is also no balance. See this quite similar video which I borrowed from another member (thanks Brad by the way) :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To do some testing I attached another H3-2D. No problem at all with this other unit but there is one difference between the two. See pictures attached. IMU firmware is 1.8 on the crazy gimbal and 1.2 on good gimbal. Same bootloader, same phantom (a P2), same 8 pin cable, same Gopro (a H3+ Black). No other difference.

I suspect the 1.8 firmware is the issue but I have no way to be 100% sure. I am not the first owner and the history is not certain. There is also no more warranty.

I have of course immediately tried to downgrade from 1.8 to 1.2 but no luck. Any version of the Zenmuse Assistant software*, any version of the Phantom Assistant software I use, it is always the same message, no upgrade available.

* In this case I connect the gimbal to the GCU I received with the Zenmuse and this using the 8 pin cable, the GCU is powered by a 3S battery and the GCU is connected to my PC using a micro-USB cable.

Weird thing is that I cannot make the good gimbal to update to 1.8. No way. Would be risky if problem comes from firmware and there is no way to downgrade but with this other unit, no way to upgrade any higher.

A few notes :

1) the shortcut pins trick will not work because this is not a H3-3D but a H3-2D.
2) I have no issue with X1 calibration at all. As I said above, the other H3-2D works fine.

Is there a tool to dump the firmware from the right unit and to force upload it to the wrong unit?

Is there a way to force downgrade?

Is there a way to force a hard reset?

Any other idea gentlemen?

This is really frustrating.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Zenmuse Assistant Software.pdf
    151.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Phantom Assistant Software.pdf
    206.6 KB · Views: 496
Hi everyone.

I have an issue with a Zenmuse H3-2D. As soon as it gets powered it starts acting crazy. Really crazy.
Basically it starts shaking violently, up and down, for a few seconds. After a few seconds, it calms down then it does it again. There is also no balance. See this quite similar video which I borrowed from another member (thanks Brad by the way) :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To do some testing I attached another H3-2D. No problem at all with this other unit but there is one difference between the two. See pictures attached. IMU firmware is 1.8 on the crazy gimbal and 1.2 on good gimbal. Same bootloader, same phantom (a P2), same 8 pin cable, same Gopro (a H3+ Black). No other difference.

I suspect the 1.8 firmware is the issue but I have no way to be 100% sure. I am not the first owner and the history is not certain. There is also no more warranty.

I have of course immediately tried to downgrade from 1.8 to 1.2 but no luck. Any version of the Zenmuse Assistant software*, any version of the Phantom Assistant software I use, it is always the same message, no upgrade available.

* In this case I connect the gimbal to the GCU I received with the Zenmuse and this using the 8 pin cable, the GCU is powered by a 3S battery and the GCU is connected to my PC using a micro-USB cable.

Weird thing is that I cannot make the good gimbal to update to 1.8. No way. Would be risky if problem comes from firmware and there is no way to downgrade but with this other unit, no way to upgrade any higher.

A few notes :

1) the shortcut pins trick will not work because this is not a H3-3D but a H3-2D.
2) I have no issue with X1 calibration at all. As I said above, the other H3-2D works fine.

Is there a tool to dump the firmware from the right unit and to force upload it to the wrong unit?

Is there a way to force downgrade?

Is there a way to force a hard reset?

Any other idea gentlemen?

This is really frustrating.

Thank you in advance.

The P2 does require a GCU module remove and wire the 8 pin directly to the gimbal. Then re-calibrate both the RC controller then the sticks and X1 in the P2 software.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your help.

AFAIK the P2 does not require an external GCU because it is built-in already.
I connect the H3-2D to an external GCU only when I want to power it without the P2.
In this case I try to downgrade the IMU firmware using the Zenmuse Assistant software instead of the P2 Assistant software.
In all cases no downgrade can be done and no calibration of any help helps either.

As I said in the OP if I connect the first H3-2D to the P2 it shows no problem at all but as soon as I connect the second H3-2D it goes completely crazy.

Either the IMU firmware, 1.8 on the bad unit, Vs 1.2, on the good unit, is the cause or there is an hardware issue...
I wish to force a IMU firmware downgrade but I cannot do it using the tools from DJI.

I am even thinking about dumping the IMU firmware from the good unit to downgrade the bad unit but how to? Is there a tool available somewhere?

Last edited:
So where do you think you're going get the power to run both GCU and the gimbal? The GCU was designed to be be used on a S900 or S1000 quad but not the P2. There is no way you will be able downgrade the the units software and you are just wasting your time.

Does anybody know a 3rd party tool I coud use to dump the IMU software of the good gimbal and then force upload it to the wrong gimbal?

No luck with DJI official software.

Yes I could manage to fix it. It was not related to the upgrade of the firmware to 1.8. It was a hardware issue. I bought a defect gimbal on eBay and switched the potentiometer on the (roll axis) board of the crazy gimbal.

replacing a potentiometer on the (roll axis" allowed you to upgrade to 1.8? is that pot on the gimbal itself? or on the onboard pca inside the P2?

No replacing the potentiometer on the roll axis board fixed my problem which was gimbal acting crazy at start-up (as shown in the video). I was already on firmware 1.8. This potentiometer is in the gimbal not in the Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan