Crazy winds at altitude today, flew nearly 80mph in ATTI mode. Did it really happen?

Reaction score
So tonight just around sunset I decided to take a nice flight around the wilderness preserve. It was almost dead calm out and I thought a perfect night for a flight. Maybe a very slight breeze. I took her up to my usual 390ft to avoid any issues with curious neighbors on the short way to the park.

I headed west turned toward the sunset and noticed I was only going about 13mph at full throttle. Hmm, that's odd. I didn't notice any wind today. So I turned it on attitude mode to see if my speed could increase. Immediately the phantom started flying the opposite way, east around 28mph with zero stick input. Holy cow. Apparently at 400ft there must be 30+mph winds. I decided to see how fast the wind could carry me and I headed directly east with the wind. Within 10 seconds I was flying around 70mph sustained according to the DJI Go App and I was seeing things whiz by faster than I ever have. At one point I saw it top out around 78mph!! Now I've flown with the winds before, but only getting maybe 52mph max. I just can't believe this is accurate. However I did reach the end of the park in a blink of an eye leading me to believe it's true. Is this some sort of record? I have never seen anyone report speeds this high. I am led to believe there must have been some sort of GPS error. Also, I am shocked that the wind speeds vary so much at just 400ft up.

I went to playback the mission in the Go app and I took this screenshot:

QwffWjc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Cowan
Yes. You can if the tail winds are good. Be thankful you went in the right direction. As it would have been hell to get her back going against a wind like that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NormanNormal
Yes. You can if the tail winds are good. Be thankful you went in the right direction. As it would have been hell to get her back going against a wind like that.

Yeah, I can imagine on a long distance run you would risk not making it back. Fortunately I was fairly close to home. The property I take off from is surrounded by tall trees so the most I can venture out is around 2000ft.

For sure on Easter Sunday we had a meet up of local phantom
Pilots. A fellow member went out over water. Winds about 30mph or better gust. He was coming back at 1mph and did not make it back. He made a thread on that flpholt.

For sure on Easter Sunday we had a meet up of local phantom
Pilots. A fellow member went out over water. Winds about 30mph or better gust. He was coming back at 1mph and did not make it back. He made a thread on that flpholt.

:( Moment of silence for our brothers fallen bird.

How did you finally get back full controls? Tell us more about your interesting moments.

Shoulda repositioned downwind and flew low altitude as far as you could then climd to 390ft and haul *** back.. Maybe could have had a serious distance record. Turn around at 20% hahahaha.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl