Crazy video distance achieved

Reaction score
I'm running a p2 with gimbal and Gopro3with AVL58 transmitter. I originally installed the transmitter underneath pointing out the back, great video going away but coming back not so good. I them rearranged the transmitter to come out the side underneath and was getting like 600-700 meters of great video. At the suggestion of the quad guy at the local hobby shop I mounted my transmitter in the top of my skid. Took it out today and was getting 1100 meters of clear video. I was very pleased with the outcome.

Using a IRC 5.8Ghz 600mw vTx and a TrueRC Crosshair antenna, I reached 3.4km last weekend. I have the IRC vTX perpendicular to the way the battery goes into the tray and behind the gimbal. Video was solid out to 2500m but static depending on orientation at 3400m.

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH89Waks3S8

BTW, this is the stock tx/rx for the phantom 2.

Has anyone else gotten long range with the AVL58 by changing the transmitter location?

That seems to be the way to do it. Get the vTX as far away from the RC receiver as possible and get clear LOS to the antenna.

:( I had my tx stuck under the phantom with mounting tape. I took it off to attach it to the skid and now I'm not getting any video output. Is it fried? I tried changing the channels but no luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20