Crazy neighbor, crazy story

Reaction score
So the other day my 3 year old daughter asked to see the drone fly. So i took her out front as we live in front of a park. My wife joined as well as a female neighbor who asked to see an aerial view of the construction thats a block over. We were all happily looking at the screen of the construction when a madman came speeding up in his car. Gets out and gets about 2inches from my face and begins to call me a pervert. He won't stop and let me explain. He kept saying that people with drones are perverts and that I was a pervert and was watching his daughter. (I found out later his daughter lives across the park). Of course with people like that I could not get a word in edgewise to explain that i was showing my CHILD who was standing there now crying, my wife and my FEMALE neighbor the construction down the street. He even told my neighbor "Shut up B***" When she told him to leave and calm down.

He eventually left. Of course his nut daughter called the police who laughed it off and said they were not even taking a report lol. I have flight path data that PROVED i was not hovering over their house. Then she of course posts on our local FB crime watch about me and tells the ENTIRE city that I am a pervert and I was spying on her and the neighbors kids. Then this causes a feeding frenzy of idiots who think now every drone incident that they have had (even before I owned a drone) was now me.

Needless to say I was very upset. What a horrible thing to be accused of in your own community especially in front of my daughter. Fortunately I was able to contact the moderator of the page and have that deleted as it was completely false. I just saw she posted another post "Thanking the officers for dealing with the drone issue" and making it seem as though I was in the wrong.

How very frustrating. We have a group of neighbors who came over my house and consoled me over this and said that they support me fully. These complainants are the same people who I've shown the drone, let their kids look at the view of our community from above etc. I spend many hours fixing the small issues at the park in front of our house, pulling weeds and lubing the play equip. Now I feel like people think I'm the local perv. Im very frustrated at this person. I cannot believe someone would maliciously do that to someone else. Every time someone would comment in support of me on the FB page she would attack them or just put a bunch of smiling faces like a 12 year old.

I hate to hear stories like this, but unfortunately they do happen. Between the typical community Facebook page drama and media outlets pounding the "anything that flies with a camera is a drone and is bad" narrative.

It's probably not worth the effort on either account, but I had two thoughts:

1) If she actually accused you of being a pervert on a public forum, I'd think there would be some legal recourse around libel (I'm not an attorney, but I did fly my drone over attorney's office once)

2) Would posting the link to the video (if you took it) on the FB post do any good? Probaby not... but...

Keep your head up... There will always be those that will find ways to be offended at anything.

time to take her to peoples court for slander

Very sad to hear this. It's really disheartening. I know it's a good thing we don't all think alike, but man, that is out there. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I think you did all the right things by sharing with your neighbors about your Phantom. Just knowing what's going on makes a great difference. Unknown creates fear, fear freaks people out. You're not going to be able to (nor are you responsible) educate everyone in your neighborhood. The idea above of posting the resulting video is a great way to educate those "peeping" in on the social media side. Any lawsuit will just draw more community judgement your way and it will be difficult to show "damages" especially while people seem to be rallying around you.

Yeah man, I probably would have been arrested for assault in front of my wife and kids. To call you a pervert, insinuate you were a child molester. F that. I'm fuming, this didn't even happen to anyone I "know". I feel for you dude, that is a truly awful story. I'd post that video on the facebook page publicly calling them out, calling your friend a dumb ***** cause she was standing there, ect and then maybe slightly insinuate they have something to hide. In our society, there is almost nothing worse than being labeled a predator or something.

That sucks. I feel for you. You'll probably associate that prick with every time you fly now. I hate ignorant people. They ruin things. Try to forget about him if you can. You seem like an upstanding guy and the neighbours you care about know it too. It's good you have their support.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry to hear this brother. Similar situation happened to me. I live on a military installation and jumped through every hoop known to be able to fly my drone on post. About a week and a half after I got approval to fly, the "wives network" took to Facebook. They started complaining saying that I was following people with my drone and spying on others. Some assclown even called the MPs and said I was flying my drone toward the Apaches and Blackhawks that fly on the outskirts of garrison. Two days later the Commanding General told me to stop flying until he can come up with a "Drone Policy" for post. It's been about two months and no policy yet.

When this first happened I took to Facebook and posted my flight paths and in a very respectful manner debunked everything everyone posted. I even invited all of them to meet me at the park across the street from my house to show them how it works. No one showed up of course and two days later I was grounded.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: richwoodrocket
The very first night flight in my then new P3 resulted in a woman I've never seen (before or since) driving up and asking me angrily if I have a permit. When I told I didn't need one, she called me a spy and said she was ashamed to be my neighbor. She sounded Russian; I told her to go back to her country, whereupon she threatened to come back with a shotgun.

Another time flying from a park and crossing over to video some hills, a guy approached and asked if the Phantom had a camera. I said "yes", and was going to show him the video feed. Instead he flew into a rage and said it was illegal to fly over houses with a camera. I was probably around 300' up. I just told him to go online and look up the regs and he stormed off and said he would.

OTOH, flying from the front yard to get sunset shots, I've shown various other people walking by, the video feed. I've never had an issue once they see the panorama.

I hate to hear stories like this, but unfortunately they do happen. Between the typical community Facebook page drama and media outlets pounding the "anything that flies with a camera is a drone and is bad" narrative.

It's probably not worth the effort on either account, but I had two thoughts:

1) If she actually accused you of being a pervert on a public forum, I'd think there would be some legal recourse around libel (I'm not an attorney, but I did fly my drone over attorney's office once)

2) Would posting the link to the video (if you took it) on the FB post do any good? Probaby not... but...

Keep your head up... There will always be those that will find ways to be offended at anything.
I agree with your excellent post, but just for your own knowledge, in the legal world "libel" refers specifically to published untrue item about someone.

What you are referring to is "deformation of character" which is "Defamation of character is the legal term for harming someone's reputation by making false statements. To prove defamation, a plaintiff must show: The statement reflected negatively on the plaintiff's reputation"

Not that I know if it raises to that level but it might if she has caused damage to his character falsely and since it doesn't sound like she did any diligence (of the father) to make sure you did what she is accusing you of doing.

What's the dads deal? Is she hot or something and people are actually doing this? Because while I agree, again, I agree with you, as someone with a daughter, I might be irrational if I truly thought someone was spying on her but I certainly would listen to reason as someone gave me an explanation, especially with a child right there.

What an idiot.

That's what I thought, she didn't cause him to lose monetarily, so Libel is not the case here, but character assassination can be a legal issue. I've thought about leaving my awesome STI (hand made 1911 officer model) at home in case this thing happened to me, I'd be pretty upset if some Ahole spouting crap like this at me, and would hate to lose my License to carry because I stuffed it up his nose and informed him "I am in fear of my life and Childs life and welfare"
You know, I actually hope u take some action against these morons. I live in an area where I am outclassed in both money and I am sure connections, but not ways to protect myself or family, except on FB of course.

DONT LET THEM Bully you, your not breaking any laws, fly, personally I'd avoid her house, but there might be times when friends are visiting I'd want to fly over, maybe at full speed! But, most ppl have some common sense, but there ar plenty of idiots, look at the Trump campaign, Bush was elected once too! (He stole it the first time, but this country voted him for office after a dismal 4 years) so this country is about 1/4 moron, maybe 5/8ths

That's what I thought, she didn't cause him to lose monetarily, so Libel is not the case here, but character assassination can be a legal issue. I've thought about leaving my awesome STI (hand made 1911 officer model) at home in case this thing happened to me, I'd be pretty upset if some Ahole spouting crap like this at me, and would hate to lose my License to carry because I stuffed it up his nose and informed him "I am in fear of my life and Childs life and welfare"
You know, I actually hope u take some action against these morons. I live in an area where I am outclassed in both money and I am sure connections, but not ways to protect myself or family, except on FB of course.

DONT LET THEM Bully you, your not breaking any laws, fly, personally I'd avoid her house, but there might be times when friends are visiting I'd want to fly over, maybe at full speed! But, most ppl have some common sense, but there ar plenty of idiots, look at the Trump campaign, Bush was elected once too! (He stole it the first time, but this country voted him for office after a dismal 4 years) so this country is about 1/4 moron, maybe 5/8ths

LOL!! Yea I agree with the Trump and Bush too. Why many in the Bush admin are not on trial in the Hague is beyond me.

Well THANK YOU! For the support everyone! It is much appreciated. You cannot believe the stress one goes through when you are publicly humiliated online like that. Especially when it is an accusation like that one. I live in this area and my daughter plays with some their kids. Why someone would knowingly try to humiliate someone like that is way outside the realm of my understanding.

You all are awesome!!

Safe flying. :)

Reactions: SGs and Wibble
It is amazing how this subject even turns seemingly normal people into freekin nutz !!
I had a conversation with my boss who is a Sergeant for a very large local police agency.. She said some nut was flying over her house with a drone and she immediately called her husband (he is also a Sergeant) and told him to immediately come home (he was on duty) and long story short they ran the guy off.. I tried to explain the majority of quadcopter pilots are enjoying skylines and scenery and not trying to get a peek at anyones private parts.. We continued to go back and fourth ... She vehemently disagreed and the conversation even got a tad "heated"... This is a very well put together lady who has a very good disposition towards unusual situations.. I was shocked to see the side of her that came out from simply discussing Quadcopters... I guess these things bring out the "WEIRD" IN PEOPLE...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic