Crazy Ignorant lady freaking out.

I used to weigh in at 344 lbs but now I'm 214. For you to single out a person by saying that if they are fat, own a dog, then they must be lonely and aggressive is in extremely poor taste and bad character.

Please try to keep your stories worthwhile and to the point, without degrading people. What you said in this post was very rude, pretentious and just plain ignorant. I expect more from a gentleman that owns a DJI Drone and your comments make us all look like uncaring people. We try very hard to look good in the eyes of no drone owners so I hope in future you can temper your stories with a little less prejudice.

Bud

Hmm. You're forgetting that she was impersonating a cop. I tried the gentleman route first and that did not work.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt
Actually, she did have every right to film you. Essentially she was doing the same thing you were doing just using a different medium. Just saying :)

Most of us at some point will have some person that has an irrational view of our hobby. It's an educational opportunity in some cases, in others you simply can't get the tinfoil hat free of their head...

Ok here's where it gets a bit complicated. Rights of Privacy aside, most drones do not record sound, camcorders or phones in cameras do, unless specifically turned off. The audio is usually on by default. Soooooooooooo, unless she is in a state that allows audio recording w/o permission of the person being filmed, and I don't know of any that do, she is in violation of state/federal eavesdropping laws. The crime is not in taking the picture it is in recording the audio along with the picture. There was a rush a few years back, to give law enforcement some top cover to prevent people just running up and sticking a camera in an officers face during an arrest. The courts had already addressed the taking of pictures and ruled favorably, so the eavesdropping audio portion was attached to the law to give it some teeth. It's not used very often, but it is used. So technically, there was a difference in what both individuals were doing.

As far as her claiming to be a member of the FOP, I had to laugh. Anyone can become an associate member of the Fraternal Order of Police by paying the required fee. They get a BS bumper sticker and an ID card that makes them think they are immune from arrest. I always liked it when one of them would look me in the eye and say "I'm one of you". Out would come the ticket book and citation issued. LOL

Ok here's where it gets a bit complicated. Rights of Privacy aside, most drones do not record sound, camcorders or phones in cameras do, unless specifically turned off. The audio is usually on by default. Soooooooooooo, unless she is in a state that allows audio recording w/o permission of the person being filmed, and I don't know of any that do, she is in violation of state/federal eavesdropping laws. The crime is not in taking the picture it is in recording the audio along with the picture. There was a rush a few years back, to give law enforcement some top cover to prevent people just running up and sticking a camera in an officers face during an arrest. The courts had already addressed the taking of pictures and ruled favorably, so the eavesdropping audio portion was attached to the law to give it some teeth. It's not used very often, but it is used. So technically, there was a difference in what both individuals were doing.

As far as her claiming to be a member of the FOP, I had to laugh. Anyone can become an associate member of the Fraternal Order of Police by paying the required fee. They get a BS bumper sticker and an ID card that makes them think they are immune from arrest. I always liked it when one of them would look me in the eye and say "I'm one of you". Out would come the ticket book and citation issued. LOL

Your implication here is that you are a sworn officer, and if this is truly the case, then please forgive me as a fellow brother in blue for pointing out that virtually everything you said in this comment is not true, or, at a minimum, is poorly stated. 38 states are single party consent with regard to audio recordings, and if residing in the others requiring two party consent (aka all party consent), in most cases analysis of the situation is required as there are some that require the two party consent only if in a private location (or with other circumstances ie-I pull out my phone and say 'hey, I'm recording'. If you don't withdraw from the conversation, then you're giving consent). There is no such thing as giving top cover to a law enforcement officer as you should well know. The right of an individual to record the activities of a government official performing their duties in a public location is a constitutional one and cannot be set aside by anyone provided you are not interfering with them as they perform their duties.

My suspicion is that you are no different than the woman described in this thread. If I am wrong, then I apologize, but brother, you need to get some legal retraining asap.

@all - I'm sure 99% of the people who stumble across this thread don't need anyone to tell them this, but for the other 1% -- don't rely on this forum with respect to any of this stuff. Find out what your state laws are specifically if you intend to record a conversation or telephone call.

Last edited:

After going through a few of your posts, it is clear you are claiming to be something you're not. Stop.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20