Crazy gimbal

Reaction score
So I thought my gimbal was toast as it was doing the crazy shaky dance.

I went for a bike ride with it and when I got to my position to scout the camera was severely tilted off horizon, but as I only needed video for locating water in a dry marsh, I was okay with it. After I shot my footage I went back on the bike, knowing how to fix the tilt.

Get back home, turn quad on, and gimbal goes crazy. Finally after several weeks of being depressed and about to buy a new gimbal, I decide to take everything apart. Still no loose wires or anything. Put gimbal back on and still does the death dance. Call Atalanta hobby and they said Im outta luck. Only thing they recommend is adjusting the horizontal rod.

I'm thinking, no, that can't be it, it's not off horizon, it's going crazy.
Well, I took the three little screws off the back and low and behold the flat piece of the rod is almost upside down. I adjust it back to level and viola, good to go!

Amazing how a little vibration from a bike ride can mess these things up, luckily it was an easy fix, although I thought it was toast

Make sure to secure it after you get it perfectly horizontal. You can use red loctite and put a dab right on the end of the shaft. I know some people say it needs to be wicking type but I have used standard red and it worked fine. The real problem comes when the press fit becomes enlarged and the camera just falls off. This needs to be fixed with a bushing.

https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair

Once the little rod with the flattened edge no longer sits squarely in the back of the gimble, it can't rotate the gimble properly anymore. This causes gimble movement to become erratic (a.k.a. "crazy shaky dance") as the rod now only randomly gets purchase on the little gimble hole it's meant to fit in.

Good to know this: It's not just an off-kilter horizon that can be fixed by correcting the rod position.

This video shows a camera doing a crazy shake dance part way through. Take a look. If that's what yours is doing the solutions offered above could fix it up. Make sure to use Loctite 290 (red) which is wicking loctite. It will soak in around the shaft and lock that camera down.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxM8OOWRQc[/youtube]

Personally I wouldn't use red loctite,that is one of the higher strengths.
Okay it will hold but you may have issues later on if need to remove it again.
Blue might be better than red.

smallman28 said:
Personally I wouldn't use red loctite,that is one of the higher strengths.
Okay it will hold but you may have issues later on if need to remove it again.
Blue might be better than red.

Wrong-o. The blue stuff isn't Wicking. It won't work. It will sit on top of the shaft and do nothing. Zero chance of success.

ZeroGravity said:
Why use locktite? Where exactly? How to apply? And how much? And yes, serious questions.

Watch the video. All in there.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj