Crazy fly away today! PH2

paulajayne said:
Cement slab?
Rebar in it?

That was one thing that I was thinking, too. But, I'm not sure it explains it all.

ATTI2 = The bottom of the S1 switch with the option of Manual or Failsafe?

To go back to the OP ...
Jeffro said:
I read an article that suggested that I may want to make the "ATT2" position "total manual" just in case the on board navigation was unresponsive so it could be over ridden and possibly stop a fly away. And I did that several days ago.
Most pilots would probably crash their Phantom if they switched to manual in flight.
The idea of assigning the lower position of the S1 switch as manual sounds questionable at best.

In GPS mode the Phantom was flying to somewhere only it knew. Disconnecting the GPS and using atti mode should have given sufficient control to bring it home and reset home point.

To investigate the incident properly, the question has to be asked: Was home point properly recorded?
Not just an assumption that it was.
Some questions to consider include:
How many satellites?
What did the distance indicator show at takeoff?

I "tried" to do the tilt knob mod on my radio controller, the tilt worked on the gimbal..but somehow it sent bad commands to the Phantom. I tied a Tether line to her and tried a few times to control it. Move the left contol and she would try to escape. Ordered the new updated radio and replaced the broken props,linked it up and calibrated it . It has been smooth flying so far.

Most pilots would probably crash their Phantom if they switched to manual in flight.
The idea of assigning the lower position of the S1 switch as manual sounds questionable at best.

I am no expert, (and I can prove it!) all I was trying to do was give myself the best possibility for stopping a fly away and I was sure I would probably never have to deal with such a situation.

Full manual may not have been my best choice but it is "THE ONLY REASON I HAVE MY P2 BACK RIGHT NOW" otherwise I guarantee it would have ran itself out of battery miles from my location.
I feel very fortunate to have something to turn back into DJI. I will learn from this and I do appreciate all the suggestions that have been given.

Thank you,

Jeff From Illinois

Jeffro said:
I calibrated ATTI 2 to Manual
It's good to get the terminology right. There is no ATTI 2.
You assigned the bottom position for S1 to Manual

Jeffro said:
Full manual may not have been my best choice but it is "THE ONLY REASON I HAVE MY P2 BACK RIGHT NOW" otherwise I guarantee it would have ran itself out of battery miles from my location.
You didn't try atti mode.
It's quite likely that atti mode would have also pulled up your runaway bird and left it controllable.
Manual mode is not safe for most pilots and is a good way to ensure a crash.
Sounds like whoever suggested it to you gave you bad advice.

Meta 4 thanks again for your help,

In GPS mode the Phantom was flying to somewhere only it knew. Disconnecting the GPS and using atti mode should have given sufficient control to bring it home and reset home point.

I assure you ATTI in the first position did not slow it down. I know it should have but it appeared to remain in GPS and continued to run away.

As for your other questions I honestly do not have an intelligent answer. I thought I left it up to the P2 to tell me when it had all the satellites which I understood that it did when it gave me the fast blinking greens with no reds. Home location? I thought that it too was secured with the fast blinking greens and updated frequently with the new Phantom 2 updates that I downloaded. The distance indicator too is over my head. Sorry I thought I had read the manual and did quite a bit of online reading but there are so many layers of information and opinions that it is rather hard to sift through.

Thanks,

Jeff from Illinois

Sorry Jeff ... it wasn't clear earlier that you also tried atti mode.
You're right about sifting through layers of information and opinions and they aren't all relevant or correct either.
Without 100% understanding of all the factors that might have been involved, it comes down to informed guesses and there are still some mysteries.

It's good to get the terminology right. There is no ATTI 2.
You assigned the bottom position for S1 to Manual

Meta 4 sorry for the lack of proper terms. I read somewhere that the 2nd position was ATTI 2 which does kind of make sense since it is the 2nd ATTI position labeled "ATTI" on the contyroler. So for clarity I did in fact assign "S1" to manual.

Thank you for your help.

Meta 4 thanks again for lending your experience and effort in my direction. In hind sight I believe I can not clearly or accurately describe the event of Christmas day.(I was a prison guard for 25 years and was known for always being cool under fire, but I have to admit my hand was a trembling a little (after the fact) when the P2 had made it's way past the parking lot and crashed in an unpopulated area.

I will do my best to try to understand what not to do and to use proper terminology to ensure accuracy. And like anything I have ever done I will stay on it until I get it figured out!

Thanks again,

Jeff from Illihois

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4