Crashed today first time out of 9 flights

I would however like some input on what it looks like I need order up to get this bird flying. I did already order the carbon fiber camera mount from UAV BITS. I'm thinking I'm gonna need the camera ribbon wires but not sure what else. Should I be concerned with the compass, GPS or any other internal parts?

Well this was a tough lesson to learn and I'm done with the cool aftermarket props. I'm sticking with DJI OEM. I agree with the VRS or DEATH WOBBLE, that had to be it. It was absolutely calm with no wind and I believe that to be part of the cause too.

When it comes to props I have learned from the guys here ONLY DJI PACKAGES PROPS.
I fly the DJI packaged 9450 Carbon Reinforced, 51 flight so far and my Phantom has been flawless.

Reactions: snowghost
Until this thread I was completely ignorant / unaware of VRS,
Once again this forum has been invaluable,
Thanks guys !!

Reactions: K1500Z71
Still trying to figure out how to remove the camera. There are two other wires besides the ribbon???

Thus far the landing gear is cracked on 3 of 4 corners, one motor seems loose but the housing is popped so I need to straighten that to really see. Upper camera mount is broken, black wire??? Pulled out of camera, single grey is still connected. Can't figure out how to loosen cover to remove. 3 of 4 carbon fiber blades damaged. Prop guards shot. Haven't gotten inside cause I can't remove the camera to see if anything is loose or broke

Thus far the landing gear is cracked on 3 of 4 corners, one motor seems loose but the housing is popped so I need to straighten that to really see. Upper camera mount is broken, black wire??? Pulled out of camera, single grey is still connected. Can't figure out how to loosen cover to remove. 3 of 4 carbon fiber blades damaged. Prop guards shot. Haven't gotten inside cause I can't remove the camera to see if anything is loose or broke
To remove gray wire, look at the small door like piece that the wire goes behind . on the back side of that are 2 screws that release that piece and then a small connection so you can release that wire and the camera will come free. Same for the black wire that is broken. Mark where they go as I think they need to go back in the same place

Sorry to hear about your crash. Definitely stick to DJI's OEM props and batteries!

Thank you Zone 5
my pleasure. I'm learning all these pieces because I put mine into a tree branch today, didn't do as much as you, but ripped the ribbon cable and a couple other things. Will see how it works when I get the new parts tomorrow. may have gps and/or board damage. Lesson learned. Don't try and learn course lock around trees when you aren't used to it. Ooops

I got a lot of practice with VRS flying the X5C. Not always easy to recover.

Thanks guys !!

Another term for it is settling with power. When I was flying helicopters we would train how to get out of by purposely getting into it. You would hover at a high altitude and descend > 300ft/min. The aircraft would start to shudder and the controls would get sluggish and descent rate increases. More power just exacerbates the situation. Decrease power and fly yourself out of the disturbed air is the solution.

VRS real life

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It came Down slowly and got to about 100 feet and all of the sudden the bird began to wobble side to side vigorously. I tried to ascend and basically had no control of it. I turned off the RC and turned it back on and that didn't help either

The comment portion "it came down slowly" would seem to contradict the notion that VRS was the probable cause since it is only likely to occur during rapid descending and even more unlikely in a P3 model with the design and firmware changes to prevent it.

I've flown with DJI prop guards and OEM props for > 100 times in all kinds of situations and done some very aggressive descending to the maximum vfps that the firmware allows and NEVER had any level of VRS occur... this is regardless of whether descending with pitch or straight down...

Prop guards serve a great purpose but, like anything added to the P3, have some penalty to be sure and have to be considered in the overall flight results... but simply adding them to your P3 doesn't automatically mean they will cause problems as so many seem to suggest.

Certainly a personal choice to use or not use them... many will benefit by them in early days of P3 piloting if having little prior experience with quads. Don't be afraid to use them. Just like if you had training wheels on your bike as a youth, you couldn't do all the speed and turning that others could while they were still on but they kept you from injury while developing handling skills...

If anyone remembers, VRS is why a stealth copter crashed when the seal team was getting Osama. It is a serious problem.

Thanks guys !!
Same here, at an early age i read about the limitations of rotary wings by accident, had never heard about VRS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers