Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Crashed - Silver Lining - New Phantom "3"

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by rrhansen, Jul 4, 2014.

1. rrhansen

Okay - the thread title is a little bit of a hook (there is no phantom 3 ... yet :cool: ).

Like so many good pilots have already experienced (I'm not one of them) - I just took out the P2V+'s camera and gimbal...big time. I'm pretty sure it was pilot error - so plenty pissed at myself...but won't repeat that mistake again. Enough lamenting.

Silver lining - I bit the bullet and ordered another P2V+ after 'rationalizing' the cost down to only $119 or a new P2V+. And now, I have a great (camera/gimbal-less) flight trainer that's a kick in the butt to fly since I'm not afraid to pile it up at only the cost of a prop or two. I'll keep the new P2V+ for video work and continue to improve my flight skills on the 'trainer'.

Silver lining #2 - (and here's the Phantom "3" part): the way I figure it, as soon as DJI comes out with their next platform (6-12 months), the supply/demand for replacement P2V+ gimbal/cameras will tip, and I'll be able to pick up a replacement for about ½ of current $680 pricing. That'll give me two P2V+'s - (don't ask me why...it just seems to make sense...maybe just my little bubble world)

Thoughts?

2. Dirty Bird

How did you take out the camera & gimbal?

3. rrhansen

Straight down crash landing from about 70 feet onto grass. Destroyed it. No VR S, no prop guards issues, I believe it was pure pilot error. Long story. Rookie mistake. Lesson learned, do not panic.

4. Phantom_Menace66

Mine crashed a couple of months ago and I did the same thing, bought another and use the P2V- (minus the cam/gim) for practice etc, which has turned out to be very handy indeed. As you said, If they ever become affordable to replace, I'll put a new cam on it.
    Damned if I can get it to circle a stationary object (usually me in the middle) while pointing directly at me... It's hard.

5. garrock

We all at some point create Little Bubble Worlds.

Knowing which bubbles need popped sooner brings us back into practical utility.

6. DKDarkness

No idea how the P2V+ is wired, but maybe you could downgrade it to 2.0, add a "cheap" zenmuse H2-2D to it, and control that with the 7th channel? Using the GoPro's (provided you have one) build in wifi to control shutter and settings?