Crashed PV2+. USB and GPS not functioning. Hard to repair?

Reaction score
Hey guys, Newbie here. If this topic was listed anywhere else I apologize as I couldn't find anything related.

I recently purchased a PV2+ unit off eBay. Flew it a few times and then over this past weekend, I decided to be an IDIOT and tried to whip it around a small tree. I got too close and one of the props hit a tree branch and the unit went crashing into the ground. It don't believe it took a very hard hit as it fell from about 8-9 ft onto the sand/grass but the battery did pop out. I picked up the unit, cleaned it off and powered the unit back on. I was able to fly but the GPS was no longer functioning properly. So, I tried to calibrate the compass. After the horizontal spin the LED light would go solid green and when I tried to do the vertical spin the LED lights would just flash yellow. Also, no Satellites were registering with the unit.

When I got home I attempted to connect it to the Phantom Assistant Software and found that my USB port also isn't working. The computer would not recognize it at all. I spent 3 hours switching computers and removing and re-installing all the drivers/software. I believe the fall might have knocked something loose.

I have been hesitant to open the unit as my knowledge on such repairs is very limited. I called a local DJI Dealer and asked if they repair Phantoms and was told they do. I set up an appointment and went to drop off the PV2+ and when he inspected the unit he told me they did not repair PV2+ because of something to do with the Gimbal. That was a bit disappointing as I really do not want to send my PV2+ back to DJI for repairs, I've heard it takes a while to get back.

My question is, how hard would it be for me to open the unit and attempt to fix this issue on my own? Assuming something just came loose inside I don't see how it could be very difficult to fix.

Any input or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Re: Crashed PV2+. USB and GPS not functioning. Hard to repai

Geert said:
Welcome to our forum,

It is very easy to open your Phantom.
Impossible to say if it is hard to repair when you don't know what needs to be repaired.
Open your Phantom for a visual inspection and give us more details. Start with checking your USB connection.

Geert./.

Hi Geert!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Good point, lol. When I get home from work today I will open the unit and upload some pictures of what I find.

Thanks for the help :)

It could be something as simple as a couple plugs knocked loose or it could be a mother board issue. Either way its not very expensive compared to replacing the whole quad.

I dont understand why they wouldnt work on it because of the Gimbal. Its a pretty simple unit to work with. Maybe they noticed gimbal shaft play and automatically step back away from it so the ribbon cable doesnt break. Its a shame they just dont repair it. I fix them all day long. I was up flying this morning and had a blast.

Jeremy
https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair

You'll need a #0 Philips screwdriver for the four screws at the end of each arm and a 2.0 mm hex driver or Allen wrench for the other 3 screws in each arm.

burlbark said:
It could be something as simple as a couple plugs knocked loose or it could be a mother board issue. Either way its not very expensive compared to replacing the whole quad.

I dont understand why they wouldnt work on because of the Gimbal. Its a pretty simple unit to work with. Maybe they noticed gimbal shaft play and automatically step back away from it so the ribbon cable doesnt break. Its a shame they just dont repair it. I fix them all day long. I was up flying this morning and had a blast.

Jeremy
https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair

Hey Jeremy, thanks for the reply.

That's actually exactly what he hinted at. He pointed out the ribbon cable and said it's extremely easy to damage. Sounds like you could be right as to the reason they didn't want to repair it.

Nonetheless, I am going to try to see if it's just a loose part inside the unit that I can easily fix.

If I'm unable to repair it myself I'll most likely be contacting you through your site to get more information on your services.

Thanks!

pb7424 said:
You'll need a #0 Philips screwdriver for the four screws at the end of each arm and a 2.0 mm hex driver or Allen wrench for the other 3 screws in each arm.

Noted. Thanks pb7424!

Agreed, definitely worth opening yourself. I had a similar crash and lots of things not working an I posted my issues and the community was SO helpful. Turns out it was mostly a few loose wires and it's all fixed up now. The best part is i'm now very comfortable with it and have a good understanding of how the phantom works and how to repair it in case of future issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20