Crashed. Photos and request for advice.

Reaction score
Hi all. After a hefty crash I'm posting photos and looking for advice as to what can and should be replaced, how I test if components are ok etc.

Yesterday I replaced the solid core leads with stranded. I did a number of tests before flying properly (idled no props, tethered with power applied, then short distance) and on first inspection the new connections all appear ok but it's a bit of a coincidence so obviously I'll be wanting to check them all out.

After calibrating the compass I did 2 short test flights,proving home position. I then took her up and over to the opposite side of the field I was in. At that point I lost contact and used "Find My Phantom" to pinpoint it's last position.

It's obviously landed on one arm and has bent the case and top. There's no sign of loose or damaged connections, no sign of burnt mosfets.

The wifi module had taken a dink. The left hand of the two shiny connections is loose.

I'd like to prove that the motors and ESCs are ok, by inserting the battery (which was 2 feet away from the Bird on the ground and appears undamaged, was still on when I got there) and idling the motors without props. There's some soil in the top of the motor which I'll clear out first obviously. Any reason to hold off from this test?

The shiny connectors into the wifi module, do they just pull out, push in?

**** Mick, that was a hard hit. Can't really help with the test, I think it would be ok. Don't know that I'd trust that motor though, maybe it's not as bad as it looks.

Marlin009 said:
**** Mick, that was a hard hit. Can't really help with the test, I think it would be ok. Don't know that I'd trust that motor though, maybe it's not as bad as it looks.

Yeah I think it was around 200ft up. Plan of attack ...

- clean the soiled motor as much as I can without further damaging the coils
- power on and see what happens
- recover the video of the crash
- idle test the motors
- see if wifi connects and if I can get telemetry and video

Looking at the wiring and the ESCs it doesn't look to me like it's a wiring fault, in which case I may not ever know what took it out. High enough not to be a clip of anything, unless a bird hit it or something. One of the props being completely absent without any visible damage to the motor makes me wonder if the prop spun off in flight ? But I'm guessing.

I'm only 2 minutes away from my dealer (Fast Lad) and they have replacement body shells in stock, so I think that's Monday evening.

You did a great job with your ESC rewiring judging from those pictures. I have to imagine this was a coincidence. Nonetheless incredibly worrying that Phantoms seem to be dropping out of the sky every day.

gaspimp said:
You did a great job with your ESC rewiring judging from those pictures. I have to imagine this was a coincidence. Nonetheless incredibly worrying that Phantoms seem to be dropping out of the sky every day.

Thanks - I'm keen to do the idle test and see all the motors working, then I'll know it wasn't my work. If the camera and gimbal have survived and work after the crash I;ll count myself lucky.

I'll replace the motor which got dinged anyway, but I'll clean it up and test it nevertheless.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Looks like the ground was soft which might of saved you from having a lot more damage. I'm not sure but can't you fire it up as is & check the camera & make sure it is in working order?

Larry L said:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Looks like the ground was soft which might of saved you from having a lot more damage. I'm not sure but can't you fire it up as is & check the camera & make sure it is in working order?

Yeah that's what I plan to do (after a clean up) but I was asking if anyone could see any risks of my doing more damage by doing that. Always keen to take advice.

For example, if one of the motors isn't working, do I risk trashing an ESC too ? Are there any checks I should make before I run the idle test ?

Amazing the camera survived! You got lucky there. I'm sure it's going to be just fine with a bit of work. Hang in there!

RhythMick said:
Larry L said:

Yeah that's what I plan to do (after a clean up) but I was asking if anyone could see any risks of my doing more damage by doing that. Always keen to take advice.

For example, if one of the motors isn't working, do I risk trashing an ESC too ? Are there any checks I should make before I run the idle test ?
Yes it is good to ask as these are not cheap.

RhythMick said:
Hi all. After a hefty crash I'm posting photos and looking for advice as to what can and should be replaced, how I test if components are ok etc.

Yesterday I replaced the solid core leads with stranded. I did a number of tests before flying properly (idled no props, tethered with power applied, then short distance) and on first inspection the new connections all appear ok but it's a bit of a coincidence so obviously I'll be wanting to check them all out.

After calibrating the compass I did 2 short test flights,proving home position. I then took her up and over to the opposite side of the field I was in. At that point I lost contact and used "Find My Phantom" to pinpoint it's last position.

It's obviously landed on one arm and has bent the case and top. There's no sign of loose or damaged connections, no sign of burnt mosfets.

The wifi module had taken a dink. The left hand of the two shiny connections is loose.

I'd like to prove that the motors and ESCs are ok, by inserting the battery (which was 2 feet away from the Bird on the ground and appears undamaged, was still on when I got there) and idling the motors without props. There's some soil in the top of the motor which I'll clear out first obviously. Any reason to hold off from this test?

The brass shiny connectors pull straight out with a little wiggle. I would pull the gimble off and clean the motors out and power it up. No way to know what went wrong until you do.

Jeremy

burlbark said:
RhythMick said:

The brass shiny connectors pull straight out with a little wiggle. I would pull the gimble off and clean the motors out and power it up. No way to know what went wrong until you do.

Jeremy

Thanks - will post back later.

ok after a clean up I took it outside and attempted a power on, no props.

Battery lights come on, go straight off again. I'm guessing there's a short somewhere and the battery is turning off to protect itself.

OK so I need a test plan to help me work out where the problem is.

The attempt was without the lid on, so GPS not connected - that won't cause it to power off though right ?

I see that under the LED cover of the arm that got dinged is some soil, looks like it may still be damp and could be a short. I'll get that out and clean it up, probably have to unsolder the motor leads, unscrew the ESC from the body to get under it to clean up and check.

Next up I'll remove the camera and gimbal, see if it will power up without those.

Can I remove the wifi module ? It doesn't need it to power up I wouldn't think, but if it is attached and damaged could that cause it to immediately shut down ?

Does anyone have anything like a test plan to help me work out where the problem lies ?

Undoldered the motor from the ESC. The mosfets have a white mark on one. Anyone with more experience take a look please at the above link?

OK - under a magnifying glass it's obvious that 2 of the MOSFETs are "bubbled". Looks like the substrate has melted and they history. The other 3 ESC also show bubbling on the MOSFETs to a varying degree, none quite as bad as the one that took the hit. I'm going to assume they all need replacing and order a full set, making sure I get 2.1s

While I'm waiting on those, I've taken off the gimbal with camera attached. One of the connectors has all 4 wires pulled out. If this thing has survived I'll be amazed, but the gimbal does still appear to have full movement in all 3 axes and isn't bent. The ribbons appear to be intact. One of the gimbal joints had some dried soil in there which I've cleared out under a magnifying glass. I'll bet I'm the only one who has "flossed" their gimbal ...

The one that's worrying me is the wifi module, which is expensive to replace. One of the brass sockets to which a plug connects is loose - the left hand one in the latest photo. The module has taken a dink for sure. Guess there's no way to know until I can power up.

One more thing I can do is to reinsert the 4 wires to the camera connection into the white plug. So, 2 questions;

1) all 4 wires are a uniform grey, which is not at all helpful. while they are naturally hanging like they just came out in a certain order, I need to be sure which wire goes where. 2 go back to the CAM port on the mainboard, while 2 go to the wifi module. Anyone have a wiring schematic ?
2) I've not got much experience using these plugs - do the wires just push into the holes in the plug ? how are they secured ?

So - I think the plan is to replace each ESC 1 at a time and attempt the power up. If it stays on, all ESC connected are good. I can then test each of the one I've taken off by putting it back in and attempting the power on.

I'll worry about ESCs and motors for now, ignoring camera, gimbal and wifi.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj