Crashed Phantom Today. Pls Help Me Analyse Crash.

@lonjsnyder. Thanks for getting back to me again. There was little wind when it happened. At most a very light breeze.

How would the rebar influence ATTI mode (from my understanding it does not rely on GPS/compass etc)?

It was like the settings for ATTI mode were set at 'full speed ahead.' I don't even know if there is a setting I can check with regards to ATTI speed/aggressiveness.

It is possible I made things worse than they seemed due to panic, I only had a few seconds to react and avoid smashing the drone to pieces.

Yes it is possible that your panic made things worse… I think that once you reset everything I do in the calibrations and try again in an open field, you'll find that switching between GPS mode and ATTI no it is no big deal, just do it on a day when the winds are less than 5 miles an hour

Reactions: dronezone1010
I've just re-checked the error logs. When the drone was on the ground before takeoff, everything seemed fine. I really don't understand why I didn't get a warning at this point?

1 second after takeoff, it reported 'weak GPS' even though 8 satellites were showing. 1 second after that the 'compass calibration error' appeared and it went into ATTI mode.

Would the reinforced concrete/rebar cause 'weak GPS'?

Thanks.

No, a flat concrete pad wouldn't affect your gps signal. Close by vertical structures that block your view to the sky could cause "gps-Multipath error" but that wasn't your described environment.

@lonjsnyer. So if that is the case, I'm now confused over the genuine cause of this crash. Took off with 8 satellites, and bang within 1 second they were gone, compass calibration error shows, and I lose control.

I'll be honest it seemed just too easy to lose control with no apparent prior warning. I mean it took off as it was 'safe to fly' according to the app.

Only way to find out is to "reset" and fly again .... if you change all props, recalibrate your IMU, compass, and you may as well calibrate your transmitter sticks too, you'll be fine.

I've downloaded the Teslameter app also. Did a test with my hi-fi speakers, placed the Teslameter app close to them, and it gave a 'red alert,' so it could be useful.

Some more questions, my drone landed upside down. One propeller was obviously damaged. Should I throw the whole set of props in the bin, in case there is any subtle damage I can't detect?

Also why was the ATTI mode so crazy? I could barely control the thing, and had no idea how you could land something doing 15mph horizontally.

I'd be to even practise in ATTI mode again if it's so crazy, even on a huge beach (sadly none near me.)

Thanks.

ATTI mode is not, by itself, unstable. A better description would be "slippery", since it will not stop by itself in that mode, and it will also drift with the wind unless you actively prevent it.

And since it is not trying to control anything except altitude and attitude in that mode, the most likely explanation for the behavior is over-correction on your part when the aircraft started to move in ways that you did not expect.

Should I throw the whole set of props in the bin, in case there is any subtle damage I can't detect?
Also why was the ATTI mode so crazy? I could barely control the thing, and had no idea how you could land something doing 15mph horizontally.
Just examine the other props for damage. If they are good, keep them.
Atti mode is very different from atti mode + a screwed up compass.
The link in post#14 explains why things went crazy.

Try normal atti mode in a big open area to find out what it's like.
I've just re-checked the error logs. When the drone was on the ground before takeoff, everything seemed fine. I really don't understand why I didn't get a warning at this point?
1 second after takeoff, it reported 'weak GPS' even though 8 satellites were showing. 1 second after that the 'compass calibration error' appeared and it went into ATTI mode.
Would the reinforced concrete/rebar cause 'weak GPS'?
Any time you get a compass error, the Phantom cannot deal with the conflicting data it's getting from the compass and GPS.
The way it deals with that is to ignore GPS data - which puts your Phantom into atti mode.

What a great idea. An App that measures magnetic fields. "TESLA METER" There are plenty of them in the app store. Anyone recommend a particular one? This might be a good step to add to our pre flight check list!

What a great idea. An App that measures magnetic fields. "TESLA METER" There are plenty of them in the app store. Anyone recommend a particular one? This might be a good step to add to our pre flight check list!

I've used MagnetMeter for a number of years - it measures and displays the magnetic field vector, making it easy to see if there are any local anomalies.

It's a horrible feeling. Crashing you' drone; I am also a member of the drone crasher 12 step grief recovery group, in fact we should have meetings where we share our grief and discuss the fear of getting back a refurbished dron from DJI when it \'s sent in for repair.

I sent it in last Monday; I was lucky so far, it only cost me $220.00 but the fear of receiving a refurbished drone still haunts me and will only be known when I receive the drone and open the box

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31