Crashed phantom 2 and broke one ESC what to do?

Reaction score
So the other day my battery failed mid air and it crashed and damaged the body ESC and one motor. so I got a new body and as far as I can tell it is 920k motor (no markings on the motor) and the ESC v2 as I could not find a v1 any where. So after install my phantom is acting weird it drifts one way that tells me that the new speed controller is somehow telling the motor to spin faster thus causing the drone to drift. When it starts to drift I loose control I can only control up or down so I have to crash it to stop it from flying away. Yesterday I was able to fly it and it worked perfectly during 1 fly session but when I turned it off and on again the drift came back since than I tried multiple times and get the drift every single time.

I have done the calibration multiple times and and running the latest 3.14 firmware on the drone mother board.

Please help.

So the other day my battery failed mid air and it crashed and damaged the body ESC and one motor. so I got a new body and as far as I can tell it is 920k motor (no markings on the motor) and the ESC v2 as I could not find a v1 any where. So after install my phantom is acting weird it drifts one way that tells me that the new speed controller is somehow telling the motor to spin faster thus causing the drone to drift. When it starts to drift I loose control I can only control up or down so I have to crash it to stop it from flying away. Yesterday I was able to fly it and it worked perfectly during 1 fly session but when I turned it off and on again the drift came back since than I tried multiple times and get the drift every single time.

I have done the calibration multiple times and and running the latest 3.14 firmware on the drone mother board.

Please help.

The difference between the P2 line is that the 2212's CCW motor has a black dot on the top of the shaft while the 2312 CCW has an all black threaded shaft. Also the replacement ESC board should have been v2.1 whether it's using the old or newer motors. Props for either motor 9443 or 9450 but they should not be mixed as the flight characteristics are different.

So before flying again check to see if you the correct motor and props on your P2 and that they are original stock props. Stock props have raised numbers on the leading edge of the blade and DJI on the other leading edge

The replacement esc I got says v2 and not v2.1. The motor is with the dotted shaft so I guess it is 920K. The stock props fit and I have multiple sets and this is happening with all of them.

The replacement esc I got says v2 and not v2.1. The motor is with the dotted shaft so I guess it is 920K. The stock props fit and I have multiple sets and this is happening with all of them.

Do complete calibration of both the Rc and P2 also sure to do an advanced IMU (not a basic or an IMU status check) on completely level surface.

By the way where do you live?

Forgot to mention when you use the reply button at the right bottom corner of this thread a number is registered next to the flag in the gray bar indicating you have an answer. Makes it easier to communicate.

Last edited:
Do complete calibration of both the Rc and P2 also sure to do an advanced IMU (not a basic or an IMU status check) on completely level surface.

By the way where do you live?

Forgot to mention when you use the reply button at the right bottom corner of this thread a number is registered next to the flag in the gray bar indicating you have an answer. Makes it easier to communicate.

I am in northern virginia.

So did a complete advanced IMU calibration and it didn't really take 5 min to do but it finished and my gyro is at less than 1 and acceleration is around 1.

Now when I went out today to try and calibrate the compass I did get the green light when I do the horizontal circle but when I did the vertical with nose down I never got the fast green blink I get either steady green flash or yellow could that be the issue? I tried flying it afterwards and I had 8 satellites and it still try to fly away.

I am in northern virginia.

So did a complete advanced IMU calibration and it didn't really take 5 min to do but it finished and my gyro is at less than 1 and acceleration is around 1.

Now when I went out today to try and calibrate the compass I did get the green light when I do the horizontal circle but when I did the vertical with nose down I never got the fast green blink I get either steady green flash or yellow could that be the issue? I tried flying it afterwards and I had 8 satellites and it still try to fly away.

Once you have completed thee compass cal you should have a solid green LED's and it receives 6 or sat's it will flash green quickly to lock in you home point and once locked you'll have a slow flashing green. When it flashing a slow green then it's time to takeoff. A flashing yellow means you have have enough sat's and a green yellow green yellow means it's warming up.. Look all that info is in the user's manual here's a link to it if you haven't a PDF copy.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

What mode is your P2 in Phantom or Naza-M?? Did you ever bother to remove the GPS module and check the antenna for cracks??

Go into your person details and add your location as it helps when asking where to go when parts are needed or the best place to order from so you won't end with a store in the UK. Speaking of where to buy I order from www.bhphotovideo.com they are an authorized DJI dealer and a whole lot more and they had the v2.1 ESC board in stock.

Once you have completed thee compass cal you should have a solid green LED's and it receives 6 or sat's it will flash green quickly to lock in you home point and once locked you'll have a slow flashing green. When it flashing a slow green then it's time to takeoff. A flashing yellow means you have have enough sat's and a green yellow green yellow means it's warming up.. Look all that info is in the user's manual here's a link to it if you haven't a PDF copy.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

What mode is your P2 in Phantom or Naza-M?? Did you ever bother to remove the GPS module and check the antenna for cracks??

Go into your person details and add your location as it helps when asking where to go when parts are needed or the best place to order from so you won't end with a store in the UK. Speaking of where to buy I order from www.bhphotovideo.com they are an authorized DJI dealer and a whole lot more and they had the v2.1 ESC board in stock.

I did remove the GPS chip from the older body to the new body and it was intact if it was cracked won't it not get any satellites?

I bought mine ESC from Amazon as when I was looking for info I could not find if the newer model ESC will work with the older model motor that is why I didn't order the 2.1 the other three ESC are v1 as they don't say anything on the controller it self so even 2.0 would be an improvement right?

I think my phantom is in Phantom mode and not Naza M. But I will hook it up to the PC tomorrow to verify.

The v2.1 supports both the 2212 and 2312 motors. I have three of the original ESC and one v2.1 in mine after I damaged one board with a solder slash while changing motors. So if you're still having problems change the board again with updated part.
DJI ESC v2.1 for Phantom 2 (Part 7) CP.PT.000053R B&H Photo

The v2.1 supports both the 2212 and 2312 motors. I have three of the original ESC and one v2.1 in mine after I damaged one board with a solder slash while changing motors. So if you're still having problems change the board again with updated part.
DJI ESC v2.1 for Phantom 2 (Part 7) CP.PT.000053R B&H Photo

I was doing some testing outside while holding the phantom Landing gear with my hands and even if I kept it steady in the air it was speeding up really fast trying to fly away. This was without even touching the controls. I can stay on the ground without touching the controller in the on position but if it in the air it acts all weird.

I was doing some testing outside while holding the phantom Landing gear with my hands and even if I kept it steady in the air it was speeding up really fast trying to fly away. This was without even touching the controls. I can stay on the ground without touching the controller in the on position but if it in the air it acts all weird.

Posting back and forth is a pain check your personal messages there is a number to call.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl