Crashed my two week old p3

Reaction score
I bought my phantom 3 pro from B&H photo in NYC two weeks ago. Today I was flying and got it caught in an American flag that was blowing in the wind. The phantom fell from about 20 feet and landed on an unforgiving wooden boardwalk below.

I called B&H and was told they don't any service on phantom 3s and that I need to call DJI (arrg, that was the whole reason I bought it from them)

Anyway I took it inside, bent back the battery clip on which was a little bent. Got the battery back in, started it up and motors seem to be spinning ok.

I've been evaluating the damage and I *think* it should be able to self fix it. But I could use all y'all's help figuring out a few things.

Here's the basic damage:
87f866695608c849cdf5112dc5d77d16.jpg
dadf8ad64d1c5928b1bd1add55511e7e.jpg

So, gimbal looks ok, definitely should replace the gimbal mount or glue it... there's also a pinch in the plastic shell which I def can't fix but I also don't think matters -- please tell me otherwise if I'm crazy!

In the pic below, Any advice for getting this white plastic piece back on those wires? That is where it goes yeah?
c02300c52a2c6b41fca52c7994601a24.jpg

In the below pic, should something plug into that (where I'm pointing)? Am I missing a part?
b008cf5320c5a0fb23412dcef9f9f9d4.jpg

Is the error message about interference a result of that unplugged wire? Or is it evidence of a deeper problem?
9134036b929f90ca325af5c2d910e0f6.jpg

Lastly in the below pic, it feels like its scraping that trackpad-like surface a bit. Is that normal? The camera doesn't turn left right so I'm not sure why it would need to move in that direction..
d2d156c10a717ea9100f4bc72f652561.jpg

Lastly, I cannot for the life of me figure out where this screw might have popped out from. It's a phillipshead which there aren't that many of on the shell. Any ideas?
6027302b3b7a01da94c21730400df596.jpg
503455f8ffdaa4781f28e9eeb1bd78c5.jpg

THANK YOU FOR all help and advice you can offer!
Jonathan

I bought my phantom 3 pro from B&H photo in NYC two weeks ago. Today I was flying and got it caught in an American flag that was blowing in the wind. The phantom fell from about 20 feet and landed on an unforgiving wooden boardwalk below.

I called B&H and was told they don't any service on phantom 3s and that I need to call DJI (arrg, that was the whole reason I bought it from them)

Anyway I took it inside, bent back the battery clip on which was a little bent. Got the battery back in, started it up and motors seem to be spinning ok.

I've been evaluating the damage and I *think* it should be able to self fix it. But I could use all y'all's help figuring out a few things.

Here's the basic damage:

So, gimbal looks ok, definitely should replace the gimbal mount or glue it... there's also a pinch in the plastic shell which I def can't fix but I also don't think matters -- please tell me otherwise if I'm crazy!

In the pic below, Any advice for getting this white plastic piece back on those wires? That is where it goes yeah?

In the below pic, should something plug into that (where I'm pointing)? Am I missing a part?

Is the error message about interference a result of that unplugged wire? Or is it evidence of a deeper problem?

Lastly in the below pic, it feels like its scraping that trackpad-like surface a bit. Is that normal? The camera doesn't turn left right so I'm not sure why it would need to move in that direction..

Lastly, I cannot for the life of me figure out where this screw might have popped out from. It's a phillipshead which there aren't that many of on the shell. Any ideas?

Jonathan

I don't see the pic....

Pretty serious damage Jonathan-- it definitely needs a new shell, upper and lower as well as a gimbal mount.
If you aren't familiar with the repairs, it needs to go to an authorized repair facility for new parts and checking after it has been repaired.
If you can afford it, keep or sell this one for parts, and repurchase.. you will be ahead of the game that way. IMO This bird is pretty much finished as is.

Sorry could be more help

Pretty serious damage Jonathan-- it definitely needs a new shell, upper and lower as well as a gimbal mount.

This is all cosmetic damage as far as I'm concerned. Motors spin fine, I imagine camera works fine too. Doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Reactions: witold
Can you see the pics ok btw?
It you have an car and you damage the frame-- it will not track right--
the frame is damaged on you phantom-- it is very difficult to call this cosmetic.. But each to his own-- good luck:)

the frame is damaged on you phantom-- it is very difficult to call this cosmetic..
"That'll buff right out"

More seriously @jwegener, you're definitely:
- Looking at a new shell (you have a gaping wound; unless you somehow manage to melt it back to look brand new, airflow around that will impact the flight characteristics)
- missing something if you have an unknown screw that broke off
- looking at possible radio damage (evidenced by the Pilot app warning)

I'm sure you could self-repair this, given time and patience. But if it were me, I would be really careful how much trust I put into it.

Bob,
Sorry to hear about the tragic incident with your phantom. you can try the company called drone fly that does repairs. I think you will absolutely need a new housing upper and lower and all the pieces would have to be put back together again. it would be a big project go to learning curve do it yourself. I did some on my phantom 2 after such an incident. and then send it off to drone fly for repair. They still have it so I can't vouch for their service but their price was right.

Bob,
Sorry to hear about the tragic incident with your phantom. you can try the company called drone fly that does repairs. I think you will absolutely need a new housing upper and lower and all the pieces would have to be put back together again. it would be a big project go to learning curve do it yourself. I did some on my phantom 2 after such an incident. and then send it off to drone fly for repair. They still have it so I can't vouch for their service but their price was right.
Wasn't me- whew! scared me-- look above:)

the frame is damaged on you phantom-- it is very difficult to call this cosmetic.. But each to his own-- good luck:)

It's basically like a dent on the bumper of a car. Shouldn't affect the flying. It's not like an airplane going 500mph or a part that's truly aerodynamic like the propellers.

It's basically like a dent on the bumper of a car. Shouldn't affect the flying. It's not like an airplane going 500mph or a part that's truly aerodynamic like the propellers.
Matter of opinion-- good luck

Well, nevermind, went to an authorized DJI repair center here in NYC (http://stcnyc.com) and they took it apart and tried to connect to the camera unit. They said the camera is busted and that replacement part isn't really yet available :( so...bought a new one and gonna sell it for parts on ebay :(

Here's the basic damage:

Jonathan

What I think...
The screw is part of the shell. In the P2, there are 4 screws that in the lower body that hold the battery compartment and this should be similar in the P3. That shell needs replacing.
Your camera - I think it still works - you need to purchase the grey pin ribbon cable. I saw it on this forum for sale but cant find link.
With the camera scraping, that's the I beam pushing into the gimbal board housing. Look closely at top of the arm, on the opposite side of the flex cable, there is hex screw. Loosen this and move it down so there is no contact and tighten.
And obviously, the X mount need replacing.

If you want to sell off your damaged camera I am looking for some parts.

Neat! Was gonna list it on ebay and see what it goes for but you're welcome to bid and can pick up locally if you'd like (in SoHo, NYC)

If you want to sell off your damaged camera I am looking for some parts.

The screw comes from the battery bay area and top of VPS. The body needs replaced as it is not repairable. With the damage seen in the pic's and the unknown internally, value $175.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20