Crashed my PV2+, Let the Fun begin... (NEED SOME ASSISTANCE)

Reaction score
Hey Fellas (and ladies if you're here)...

I'm a lurker for awhile now, but experienced my second crash with my Phantom Vision 2+ (completely my fault this time). Not here to complain, just seeking some advice before I try to figure out what to do.

This crash involved a tree that walked right out in front of my drone at about 8' and a slow cruise. I hit it and one of the wings cracked. No biggie, I'll swap the shell out. The real problem comes next...

The Vision 2+ camera... When I power up the unit, it will connect to my ipad still, but the camera just shakes like a dog shaking its head. It won't focus in or allow me to control it from the ipad. Is there like a factory recalibration for the gimbal/camera setup on these? Is it an easy fix to just unplug, plug it back in, and hope it resets? I did not want to really mess with it without consulting with the pros here first.

Worst case scenario, I'll scrap the whole thing and start all over, but I really don't want to eat $1300.

Re: Crashed my PV2+, Let the Fun begin... (NEED SOME ASSISTA

hmm.. i see another thread about the camera ribbon cables. Is what I have indicative of the ribbon cable being severed? Not sure what the symptoms are.

yes ribbon cable is the likely root cause, check for scuff marks, small punctures and/or cracks on the ribbon cable. Another possible cause is one of the servo shafts being out of position.

I wouldn't call it a $1300 loss. I'm kinda thinking the gimbal motor could be messed up -- causing the shaking.

If you have the time, try replacing the camera ribbon cable, if you can find one. If that doesn't work, try a whole new camera/gimbal. It's $679, but it's not $1,300. Unfortunately, the camera/gimbal are not sold individually.

You may have severed/cracked the cable, but if the camera did not detach I doubt that is the case. More than likely the camera/gimbal has slipped on one of more of its press-fit axis'. Search this Forum for a header something like "Camera Tilt RESOLVED" and you should find a solution to your issue within that thread.

Reactions: Pico de Gallo

Dirty Bird said:
...You may have severed/cracked the cable, but if the camera did not detach I doubt that is the case.

Branches can easily damage the exposed areas of the ribbon cable but servo shaft slip is also up there in the possible cause list :)

Thanks a ton guys. I'll start looking into it tonite when I get home (granted the boss lets me tinker with it again).

You guys are a wealth of information.

I am hoping its not the entire camera as $679 isn't an easy expense. I'd rather sell the whole thing as parts and buy a brand new one if that's the case. :roll:

fastsmiles said:
You might check out this post. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20514
And then see me about a camera guard before your next flight. Hope you get it all fixed.

Dirty Bird said:
You may have severed/cracked the cable, but if the camera did not detach I doubt that is the case. More than likely the camera/gimbal has slipped on one of more of its press-fit axis'. Search this Forum for a header something like "Camera Tilt RESOLVED" and you should find a solution to your issue within that thread.

The above 2 post is the direction you should be heading. The shaky dance is the camera trying to re-align itself. If you can pull the camera out of the roll-axis motor with little force means that the roll motor magnets is holding your camera (that's bad). If you don't address this fix, it will result in the dreaded torn ribbon.

I'm adding some pics and a 7-second video of the camera to aid in the diagnosis.

This is the wing that is bent. Coincidentally the LEDs on this wing are inoperable.

And on to the camera pics:

And the dreaded video... (wait till the last few seconds, she starts spazzing pretty good!) :shock:

oof... sorry to see that... It's like a fish gasping for water....

fastsmiles said:
You might check out this post. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20514
And then see me about a camera guard before your next flight. Hope you get it all fixed.

Hey there fastsmiles... i hear you're the guy to see about a camera guard? :D

That looks like the standard $650 crash to me. Sorry for your loss :eek:

That bad eh? Unfixable? It's only 2 months old. Wonder if DJI would fix it.

Bump.. Any other thoughts based on seeing the pics and video?

Did you take camera off and center motor shaft to your camera then use red loctite to hold motor shaft tight. I did mine was way off. Camera will just pull off pretty easily if it loosened up. Or if tight yet and after you take off back motor cover and see that there not aligned horizontally, you can carefully remove circuit board hold the motor shaft with pliers and rotate camera to level them. Should work if it did flop around after crashing it if ribbon cables ok. I don't know how to straighten bent gumball.

rogerm1231 said:
Did you take camera off and center motor shaft to your camera then use red loctite to hold motor shaft tight. I did mine was way off. Camera will just pull off pretty easily if it loosened up. Or if tight yet and after you take off back motor cover and see that there not aligned horizontally, you can carefully remove circuit board hold the motor shaft with pliers and rotate camera to level them. Should work if it did flop around after crashing it if ribbon cables ok. I don't know how to straighten bent gumball.

I actually found a local hobby shop that says they can do it. The cost was minimal. They are replacing my entire shell as well for $40.

I ordered the new shell and it should be here Thursday. Going to drop it off Friday for hydrodipping and then swapping the guts the following weekend, hoping to repair gimbal and replacing the speed controller.

Then she should hopefully be good as new. If not, I'll order a new camera and sell this one for parts since the ribbon is still in tact.

Sounds like a good deal. I'm trying to find someone here that can tell me or where to find information on getting my Samsung s3 or S5 to work with camera dji vision app
As after I open the camera icon I get right away Phantom Connection Broken, haven't been able to use the FPV
At all, everything is updated any ideas?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4