Crashed my Phantom while wearing my DJI GoggleI

Reaction score
I purchased my goggles last week and flew my drone today.

Getting a direct view of what my camera sees Is a great improvement over looking at an IPad Mini, the only drawback is not seeing the position of the drone in the sky.

As a new user of the Goggles and watching the great view I missed the low battery warning warning in the goggles and when the RTH kicked in the drone was under the branches of a tree.

The RTH kicked in and the drone went up and hit the tree branches and fell like a rock.

The damage to the drone that I can see includes dented housing, bent gimble and broken props and prop guards.

This would not have happened if I had not been wearing goggles, so I learned a lesson today.

I went home and filed a repair request with DJI and I am sending the drone off tomorrow

Flying with goggles and enjoying the view is just so exciting that I have to continue to wear them, my new rule is to only fly with goggles in open fields with no trees or buildings and when returning home remove the goggles.

Reading the Phantom Drone Forum threads I understand the repair process with DJI takes forever .

Tonight I ordered a Mavic that should be here by the end of the week so I can continue to fly.

Well, here's the update.

I sent the drone in first thing Monday morning; DJI received it on Wednesday and this morning (Thursday) I received an estimate of the damages; the total was $218.00 to repair the drone, the good thing is that parts for the drone is reasonable, but it takes a lot of parts to fix a crashed drone.

I paid the bill on line, DJI now has my drone and my money; now lets see how long it takes DJI techs to complete the repairs

Well, here's the update.

I sent the drone in first thing Monday morning; DJI received it on Wednesday and this morning (Thursday) I received an estimate of the damages; the total was $218.00 to repair the drone, the good thing is that parts for the drone is reasonable, but it takes a lot of parts to fix a crashed drone.

I paid the bill on line, DJI now has my drone and my money; now lets see how long it takes DJI techs to complete the repairs
Or how long it may take them to grab a refurb from the store room....

Reactions: tevek and Neon Euc
Did you have your tablet running? When I hit 30% my tablet or RC (not sure which one) beeps and it's annoying so I can't forget, I have headplays and I can see the telemetry and battery %, do the dji goggles show telemetry and %? I can understand being fully immersed may cause a pilot to loose track of data at times, when I got my headplays' a year ago I sometimes realized that there is a lot's of data I should be looking at more often right there in front of me. Now it has become second nature to keep track of the data and enjoy the view. I hope your grounded time will not be for long. My wife is my spotter when she lets me use the goggles.

Reactions: n7qxo
Yep there were beeps, I heard them, but it didn't register in my head as battery related, I was under the impression the beeps were collision avoidance.

Because I was so excited having the goggles, I did so many things wrong the day I crashed the drone, that it is truly embarrassing

Or how long it may take them to grab a refurb from the store room....

I hope they don't, I am thinking they won't because they listed every damaged part in need of replacing and asked for payment

In my opinion the refurbished drones are sent to drone owners that have signed up for DJI Care where it is a part of the agreement that at the discretion of DJI a refurbished drone can be substituted as opposed to repairing the damaged drone; I have no such agreement

I hope they don't, I am thinking they won't because they listed every damaged part in need of replacing and asked for payment

In my opinion the refurbished drones are sent to drone owners that have signed up for DJI Care where it is a part of the agreement that at the discretion of DJI a refurbished drone can be substituted as opposed to repairing the damaged drone; I have no such agreement
They always itemise parts and labour as they need to attribute a cost to the job- it will be a miracle if you get the same AC back based on user experiences posted in various threads here and elsewhere.

That's what happened to me. My costs was £90 and only a few things needed to be replaced. When I got the drone the serial number was completely different. Not that I mind as it came looking like new. Can't tell it was refurbished at all

They always itemise parts and labour as they need to attribute a cost to the job- it will be a miracle if you get the same AC back based on user experiences posted in various threads here and elsewhere.

Based on your comment posted here, I called DJI and asked if they were going to repair or replace my drone. The representative checked the file and I was told that the drone was going to be repaired; I emphasized that I wanted the drone repaired or replaced with a brand new drone and I would not accept a refurbished drone. I explained that It was not fair for me to pay $1,500.00 for a new drone, pay an additional $220.00 to receive a refurbished drone. She agreed and made notes on the repair file.

Now it's wait and see how long it takes for the drone to be returned to me.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Sorry to hear about your bird! Flying FPV is great but it's always best to have a visual observer to prevent these types of accidents. (Which you'll need anyway if you intend to ever fly commercially)
I doubt you'll get a brand new replacement...DJI is known for either sending a refurbished unit or just repairing it....which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I snagged a tree limb with my new P4P last December and even though it had only been out for 3 weeks, they still opted to repair it via Care Refresh(to the tune of $786 bucks worth of parts & labor) over sending me a new replacement.
It took them just over a month to return mine. I was just glad it happened in the dead of winter as opposed to the summer months. [emoji43]
Good luck and let us know how you make out!

??? How long did it take them

I apologize for not reporting back as promised, the entire project from the day I shipped the drone to DJI, DJI sending me an estimate, my paying for the repair, repairing the drone and return was about 3 weeks, a reasonable time in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about your bird! Flying FPV is great but it's always best to have a visual observer to prevent these types of accidents. (Which you'll need anyway if you intend to ever fly commercially)
I doubt you'll get a brand new replacement...DJI is known for either sending a refurbished unit or just repairing it....which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I snagged a tree limb with my new P4P last December and even though it had only been out for 3 weeks, they still opted to repair it via Care Refresh(to the tune of $786 bucks worth of parts & labor) over sending me a new replacement.
It took them just over a month to return mine. I was just glad it happened in the dead of winter as opposed to the summer months. [emoji43]
Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Thanks CR6

I was in contact with DJI a number of times about the repair. The cost to repair the drone was just under $300.00. I wanted to make it clear to DJI that it was a new drone, I paid retail and on top of the price paid, I paid another $300.00 to repair it, so I would not accept a refurbished drone under any curimstance.

The drone I received had a different serial number on it, I had damaged the outer case so the case had to be changed anyhow, I don't know if they repaired my drone or replaced it with a new one, but the serial number did not have an "R" at the end of it, so I do know that I did not received a refurbished drone.

As for flying my drone while my P$P was in for repair, I purchased a Mavic to keep me going.

I apologize for not reporting back as promised, the entire project from the day I shipped the drone to DJI, DJI sending me an estimate, my paying for the repair, repairing the drone and return was about 3 weeks, a reasonable time in my opinion.

Not bad at all, glad they got you fixed up[emoji1360]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan