Crashed my Phantom 3 in Nepal mountains flying at altitudes up to 4000m, video

I guess I took it to it limits..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Quality not so great as I never recovered the drone, Nepalise army got to it first and confiscated it, I also got in a lot of trouble.
It look like it was a serious compass error, not like the ones i experienced before..
Wow what a Beautiful video I thought the ceiling was 500 meters? I still cant believe the views, it was almost worth it I bet in a way.
good luck with your new Drone

Are you ready to compensate, fix and all this without disturbing the environment, the roof or whatever your apparatus bashes into?
Whatever you see others do, is just that. You, knowing this, fly where your elektroteknik and skills or lack of such, cause no damage, fear or unrealistic concern from or to others and property.
Seeing and experiencing your courtesy, others may be encouraged to an understanding of this teknik which means you can perform tasks for their/our mutual benefit.
Landing on a baby? On a bike - ends in the ravine?
I'm sorry for your loss. I watched the video. It seemed you lost line of sight with the p3. Do you think that is true?

I just can't believe you carried it up to Namche, even if you flew into Lukla!

Last edited:
Horrible feeling losing you Phantom. Yesterday my P3S took off in a ravine and the plan was to go up vertically, rotate, take some shots and then straight down. Nothing fancy. Unfortunately, at about 80 meters altitude, my planned shooting height, I rotated the phantom and in the process lost my orientation and accidentally flew it into the cliff. It bounced off, and I thought/hoped I could regain control, but no. It spiraled down part of the cliff.
And I thought that was it, one month old drone lost. I searched but nada. Came back to the site about an hour later with my son and we both climbed the cliff and found the P3S. My son did. To my great relief no damage whatsoever, it landed in s bush that helped cushion the fall. Was I a happy camper. Note to self - no flying in ravines, ever.
I attach a shot of the cliff in question, drone was halfway up it.View attachment 37473
Good for you that you retrieved it!!

Reactions: TerenceM
The crash in Nepal one was definitely not user error, DJI has analyzed the the flight log and confirmed it
I dont think Phantom 3 is designed to fly in the mountains, not to mentioned Nepalese ones, I actually had another compass error just yesterday flying near headland hill on the beach not higher maybe 150m height but long in lengths, it didnt last long though and went back to GPS mode in few seconds
over all I am pretty happy with Phantom 3, do push it to the limit thought, it will the a matter of time before I will crash another one

Nepal and the place itself is not the problem for my opinion. Otherwise the following company would not get any devices sponsored from DJI itself. It's an 3D-Mapping company which is mapping Nepal and getting Phantom 3 for that mission directly from DJI:

Mapping Nepal - Pix4D

Best
Globalhawk

Last edited:
I guess I took it to it limits..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Quality not so great as I never recovered the drone, Nepalise army got to it first and confiscated it, I also got in a lot of trouble.
It look like it was a serious compass error, not like the ones i experienced before..
Namche Bazaar never looked so good. Good day, mate!

My opinion is your compass was effected by the geological composition of the mountains. DJI recommends you don't fly in the mountains. I live in the Rockies .. I fly. We're taking chances every time. Not to mention raptors!
I fly in the Cascade and Siskiyou Mountains in Oregon. Have never had a problem with mountain flying.

The crash in Nepal one was definitely not user error, DJI has analyzed the the flight log and confirmed it
I dont think Phantom 3 is designed to fly in the mountains, not to mentioned Nepalese ones, I actually had another compass error just yesterday flying near headland hill on the beach not higher maybe 150m height but long in lengths, it didnt last long though and went back to GPS mode in few seconds
over all I am pretty happy with Phantom 3, do push it to the limit thought, it will the a matter of time before I will crash another one
My 100 flights is in mountain area. 1700 m on each side of the vally (Romsdalen in Norway). Often Close to the steep walls. No problems so far...

Are there stats on crashes if its the new motor or the old motor or both that are crashing? I'm still curious why DJI came out with new motor and board when the model is not even a year old. Painful to see the last seconds of the video.

Are there stats on crashes if its the new motor or the old motor or both that are crashing? I'm still curious why DJI came out with new motor and board when the model is not even a year old. Painful to see the last seconds of the video.
>90% of crashes are dues to user error or misunderstanding and both motors are fine.
There's no evidence to suggest there is any problem with the original.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers